Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. Palumbo's Shoebox project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buddy Palumbo, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It's funny you say about labeled wires - back in the day, I installed a name-brand kit that was labeled, but all the same color wire ... it was a nightmare ! As soon as you laid the wire down, it was lost in a sea of gray wire

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Great lookin' car! I uncovered mine and started it up a few days ago just to see and hear it...

3. If you blow up the attached thumbnail above you can see that they are all different colors. All the same color even labeled would drive one crazy.

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks !
    I haven't heard my car run in months. I'm eager to get behind the wheel. Crappy weather here in PA, so ...

Yea, I saw that it's multi-colored wire. I don't even know if anyone does all one color wire anymore. I installed that harness for a friend who already had it. It was very tedious.
    A new harness makes all the difference in the world. You won't regret the extra work.

5. I know that will be one less thing to worry about in an old car, the whole shiney thing going up in smoke because of the wiring.

6. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR

This is an example of the rats nest I pulled out of mine. The wires are labeled, but I think you would go insane trying to troubleshoot anything. Going with something much more manageable with a few circuits for expansion. 20181028_150048.jpeg 1543715037441.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J727P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

For sure !

That was definitely a mess !
    It's hard to believe how few fuses old cars had. The extra circuits fill up fast, even on a really simple car, LoL !

8. If that was the left over after running the wires they should have been trimmed shorter. If those were the remainder of a 22 Circuit Kit they should have bundled them neater. Either way not very professional. Mine is the Rebel Wire 6 Volt kit as I am leaving mine 6 Volt, it works fine and charges just like what was available. I am not adding AC, stereo, or GPS so the original 6 Volt serves it just fine.

Buddy Palumbo likes this.
  9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Heck yea, if 6 volt works, why change it ?

10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The latest pics from Craig today - all painted, wet sanded, and polished. They reinstalled the hood and trunk today, so she's pretty much ready to come home !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks really nice!

12. Less than 3 years to get a paintjob done? I've never heard of such a thing. :rolleyes:

Looks great.

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks !

Thanks !
    Considering there was a 2 year-long nasty divorce in that time, I'm thinking I'm pretty lucky to have a car, let alone a shiney car, LOL !

loudbang likes this.
  14. Yes Sir you are lucky and it looks spectacular. I am glad for you that she didn't force a sale and left you with nothing to show for it.

15. Slopok

Slopok

Make sure that the latch and safety catch are working propery, those are notorious for popping open.:eek:
    Why do I somehow think that you were going to paint your car copper or some sort of gold?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    loudbang and Buddy Palumbo like this.
  16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks !
    It was certainly on my mind. The fact that I had to pay half of a car that I spent ZERO family money building kinda cheesed me off, but at least i have it.

I also have a hidden safety pin on the hood to keep that from happening. I've never had it pop out of the main latch, but I certainly worry about it.

Yes, you're right, I was going to go with a dark copper color, but at the last minute I changed my mind and went with the original blue color. I hope it's not a decision I'll later regret, but I do like the color. If I keep the car long term, I might have to rethink my gold metalflake dash and garnish moldings. That was figuring on the copper exterior.

Slopok likes this.
  17. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Welcome back!! The shoebox looks great. I know what you are going through, I'm two years past going through a divorce. It costs a lot of money, and I'm still paying alimony, but the divorce was totally worth it.

18. I went through it too back in the '80's. Yea it was rough back the too. She took everything I had and then some but I survived.

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks dude.
    I feel your pain, man ! The "big-D" was a real bitch. It cost me a bunch (more than a year's salary), my house, my credit score took a huge hit, and nearly cost me a lot more health-wise. I'll never, ever make the mistake of walking down that aisle again, I guarantee that. I have a 10 year-old daughter (that I have 50/50 custody of) , so I've got another 8 years of dealing with the ex ... Ugh !

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  20. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I feel your pain too ! I got my ass kicked, for sure. Somehow I'm still here ...

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get that sucker together turn the key and head down a nice winding country road sniff the fresh air and get escaping it all if only momentarily...Your Shoebox looks fantastic...;)

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks, Stogy -
    That sounds like a fantastic plan. I can't wait to get behind the wheel for a spin. It's been a while.

Stogy likes this.
  23. Most do, some don't. Some drown it in alcohol, some worse. I tried drowning it and soon saw that wasn't me. I pulled through.

24. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been there, mid-90's for me. Took me 5 years to dig out of the hole.

25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'm getting there, but I've been to my lowest, and definitely have the scars to prove it. I'll never be the same person. I'm hoping to (at least temporarily) reconnect with the shoebox and find a good place.

I'm trying, but like you, I'm sure it's going to take a long time to dig out of the hole. I'm so grateful for Craig and Todd helping me out and working my car in , to make it shiney for me .

Stogy likes this.
  26. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As corny as it sounds... one day at a time, brother, one day at a time. Working on cars and bikes are therapy for me, it was a big part of my getting through it. Find something that you enjoy and dig in!

Buddy Palumbo and Stogy like this.
  27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I work in vintage cars every day at work, so that therapy is running thin, LoL . I try to get out on my bike every chance I get - that helps a lot. I'm planning on doing a ton of riding as soon as spring finally gets here, which is usually definite good vibes.

28. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The latest picture - I've really got to go over and see this thing in person !!

[​IMG]

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  29. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Daaaaaammmnnn, that looks sharp! All I can say is... hubcaps!! lol

30. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks !
    Oh yea, no doubt. I have 2 sets of hubcaps for the car (flippers and 56 olds), and it'll be getting the low skirts on again.