Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods AV8 brake help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodrhp, Mar 27, 2019.

1. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

The car is about 98% done and I have done virtually all the work on this build. However I have some concerns with the braking. Used hydraulic drums front and rear. Adjustable bias valve installed to balance system pressures,adjusted brakes and fully bled system. Problem is that I have a high pedal but it takes a "lots" of foot pressure to safely stop the beast. Installed power brakes on the 34 build but wondering if this is normal in this set up. Do the shoes need to be seated? Bias valve adjustment wrong? Any advice is appreciated.

hfh likes this.
  2. theboss20

theboss20

What year and what brake system? Did you check the fit of the shoes in the drums before you installed everything? Did you make sure the shorter primary shoe was toward the front on the vehicle? Is the master cylinder a match to the original brake system? Did you rebuild or replace the wheel cylinders?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Pedal ratio ? Master cylinder bore size ?
    These things are important .

RICH B and 55styleliner like this.
  4. 55styleliner

55styleliner

Yeah, what Pete said!!! Pedal ratio and bore size are probably to blame.

5. theboss20

theboss20

I don’t recall any drum brake system using a bias valve...the master cylinder provided the balance between front and rear and the differential in the size of the friction material between front and rear provided the rest of the balance...65% front...35% rear...on average.

Chappy444 likes this.
  6. manyolcars

manyolcars

Why did you add an adjustable bias valve? I've been working on old Ford's for 52 years and have never heard of that

7. BJR

BJR

A smaller bore master cylinder will give you higher brake line pressure, thus less foot pressure.

8. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Shoes and drums are matched sets . Standard Ford new master cylinder. Pedals from a mid Forties Ford. Think I had a brain freeze..... bias valve most likely the culprit. Stupid of me.... always over designing the wheel.
    Simple rerouting of brake lines. Guess I’m not quite there.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

10. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

11. theboss20

theboss20

No...

12. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, if the brakes are over 40 years old. But residuals are good for any drum brake, regardless of age.

13. town sedan

town sedan

Two, or three things...
    "Standard Ford master cylinder" Don't think there is any such thing.
    What is the wheel cylinder bore size?
    What is the master cylinder bore size?
    Or, what was the original application for the master cyl & wheel cyl?
    -Dave

14. Another example of poor information on brakes, the master cylinder does not provide balance between front and rear, it simply moves fluid, have a look at pascals law...and YES residual valves are required as V8bob said, unless the wheel cylinders have cup expanders, still will not hurt to have them.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. theboss20

theboss20

Guess I was thinking of a dual master...plus the residual valves are built in to the ports of a drum brake master...

16. Provided you are using a drum brake master to start with...., we don’t have nearly enough information to guess on his problem, need master cylinder and wheel cylinder dimensions as well as pedal ratio etc.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. Since no one has asked yet, do you have any pedal free play? do you have the adjustable master push rod/eye bolt arrangement?
    Chappy

18. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

I have free play at top of the pedal and the push rod is adjustable. Front wheel cylinder bore is 1.125 and rears are 1.065 inch bore Master cylinder bore is 1.625 inch bore. All are new pieces.
    I removed the residual valves and bias valve today ,re-routed fluid lines and bled the system. Pedals are unmolested 39-40 pedals. Frankly not much difference in braking.
    Need a "brake" from climbing under the car about now! Suggestions appreciated.

19. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What kind and year drum brakes are they?
    Are you sure about the 1.625 master cylinder bore? That's a very large bore, and would definitely require a booster.

20. murf 32

murf 32

Try clamp the flexi hose to the rear
    Try the pedal then

21. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

That master cyl bore sure sounds large to me. I would ditch the adjustable bias valve and just go with the stock Ford components. I used 39 pedals and master cyl and stock Ford wheel cyls for late forties backing plates plumbed with 1/4 inch brake lines. Stops great, couldn't ask for better performance from drums.

22. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Brake problem update....pulled the the drums from the car and this is what I found. Appears the shoes had high spots and that has limited shoe drum contact. Had high spots removed, readjusted the brakes and re bled the system. After much rain and some stupid spring snow here finally took the car out. Braking is remarkably better!!!!!
    Sometimes the simplest things are hardest to see. Thanks all for the input.

theboss20 and town sedan like this.