Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Seat Belts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmdeaton, Aug 14, 2018.

1. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Anyone make a nice vintage look seat belt? I am looking to put front and rear belts in the fordor Model A.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 34Phil

34Phil

Google lift latch seat belt then decide if you want retractable and what color

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

If you want a truly vintage seat belt with shoulder harness, look for an old Volvo.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These guys used to carry the old fabric thru metal latch, like,the 56 Ford options. Don’t show on they’re site, but would be worth a call. I first remember them in light aircraft in the late 50’s, they were what Dad put in the cars back then.

https://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

6. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I love the look of these, but no products or prices on the site. Maybe call tomorrow. Canada

7. rjones35, Hnstray and dan31 like this.
  8. 5window

5window

I used Andover Restraints. I think this could be your answer. Tons of belts, many retro, all Federally approved, and all made in the USA. Reasonable prices,too. http://andoauto.com/

Get non-retractable belts and order these vintage belt retractors from CJ Pony Parts.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

I use Seatbelt Planet. Belts made to order, good prices, quick service and shipping. From what I've seen most belts and buckles regardless of the company selling them are all pretty much the same.

Gary

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  10. 392

Julianos get my vote.

11. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

X2

12. brady1929

brady1929

Great info here.

13. There is one maker for almost any belt I have seen for sale, look at the buckles closely. I just go with the best price. Wesco had a better price than anyone else and had the kit for the 3rd point installation.

14. 5window

5window

Sometimes there's a reason for the price difference-buckle quality, finish, origin of manufacture, testing standards, Federal approval, thickness of material are a few. Buyer beware.

15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

16. I like them and they have race car stuff too. Good people to deal with.

17. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

GOT MINE FROM SEATBELTSPLUS.COM THEY ARE LOCAL TO ME IN OCEANSIDE, CA AND WHEN I WENT TO PICK THE BELTS UP, THEY WERE VERY NICE AND WELL PUT TOGETHER.

18. No one would make a Model A era vintage looking seatbelt. f you want your belts to go with your build you first must determine what era your build is. '50s and older build with belts would have had aircraft looking belts.

OK I just wanted to screw with everyone. You can buy era correct belts for a '60s car from any number of restorer catalogs.

19. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

P & B- I've got some NOS '30 Ford seat belts around here somewhere. Go ahead and send me some money and I'll get them to you.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a set in my car that fit the build nicely and are a nice safety item.
    upload_2019-3-27_12-7-18.png
    Nice details too like Irving Air Chute tags
    upload_2019-3-27_12-8-5.png

22. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Seat belts? Traditional? In 1958, we never knew about seat belts. Our 1958 Impala did not have them and the closest thing was watching those silly driver’s education movies that showed crashes into trees with the drivers going through the windshields. (And… the steering column coming back through the car)

The 1965 El Camino came with factory accessory installed, color coordinated seat belts. This was a first for me. From that point on, seat belts were in all cars we purchased.

“American car manufacturers Nash (in 1949) and Ford (in 1955) offered seat belts as options

“A lap belt is a strap that goes over the waist. This was the most commonly installed type of belt prior to legislation requiring three-point belts, and is primarily found in older cars.”

“In 1966 President Lyndon Johnson signed two bills requiring safety belts in all passenger vehicles starting in 1968.”

One time, our 2nd 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery did not come with installed seat belts. My wife would not get in the sedan delivery unless we had seat belts (lap belts). So a trip to the local Chevrolet dealer to get a set of tan seat belts. (The interior was tan) The installation kit was set up for an easy install. It was a simple installation for both seats into the sturdy metal structure below the floor pan. Not that these seat belts would save lives if there was a crash, but they were designed to keep us in the seats and not get flung outside of the car.
    upload_2019-5-29_3-18-12.png
    Those early seat belts did not have retractable devices and consequently, fell to the floor or out of the door. But, offered some sense of security on those hot rod cruising days and nights. The problem of the GM symbol in a Ford was covered with a sticker.

Jnaki

These early seat belts grew into added shoulder harness units in later cars. I wanted to install the 4 point, shoulder harness/lapbelts like the race cars drivers had in their cars. But at the time, it was just too much to do prior to driving the sedan delivery. These racing belts had to insert the metal shoulder belt ends into a slot, then get the lap belts clipped together and then adjust the fit. Those race car units were also quite wide and wrinkled dainty dresses or outfits. My wife nixed the idea.

Soon, the cars and factories came up with tons of seat belt ideas, including the finger pinching, automatic door closing, moving seat belt. That was certainly terrible and painful. These days, all of us just do not want to get into any accident or situation where the belts come into play. But, for most, we like the use of any seat belts in any car.