Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs finishing off my 38 chevee project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nunattax, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Always nice to get a project on the road again..looking good!
    So what's next?

nunattax and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  2. Beautiful truck! I love the black. My dad has a '37 Chevy truck. We've had it for almost 40 years! I can't believe you are in Ireland. We have some very dear friends in Dublin and Wexford. We travel over at least once a year. I'm also a very big Guinness/Pub advertising collector. 20150526_214541.jpeg 20150527_151135.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Photo0003.jpg

Taillight-.jpg upload_2019-3-26_22-42-24.png

upload_2019-3-26_22-47-59.png upload_2019-3-26_22-52-51.png
    Love the way the truck has come together however I don't know what your legal requirements are over there. This is how I did my tail lamps on my 35 Chebby that look similar to yours. I could have used OEM glass lenses however some drivers aren't that smart here and wouldn't know what a flashing tail lamp signifies. :rolleyes:
    I had a nearby business make new lenses from my glass originals with red tops and amber bottoms. I use dual filament bulbs (Stop & tail lamp) on top and single filament bulbs on the bottom (Signal). I profile cut a thin sheet of S/S to separate top and bottom halves. On the LH side the double bulb also illuminates the license plate above, the bulb seats on a hollow OEM grommet at the top. If you elect to not use a LH tail lamp, the RH tail lamp doesn't have the top hole so you could put your plate anywhere that's allowed.
    Photo0001.jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

next is to finish this one off completely

Fordor Ron and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanks bud that's a very clean 37, as clean as they come there is a lot of vintage stuff over here a lots in good condition because very little survives if its left out in all weathers.im fond of Guinness product myself.

Bowtie Coupe and Nicholas Coe like this.
  6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

you did a great job on those taillights ,very very nice.for the time being I have some satin black motorcycle tturn signals and bed roll turn signals with led bulbs in also have led in the taillights .I modified the stock lights to accept stop/tail units ..number plate will be going under the fender.with turn signals on /under the bed with leds.our drivers don't be looking where they going and spend a lot of time on the phone and fixing the hair ,both lads and lassies.give me a break.on main roads you really need good lighting over here.be safe be seen.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Bowtie Coupe and Nicholas Coe like this.
  7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

go forth and multiply kieran terry visit 002.JPG

pila38, Król, mkebaird and 6 others like this.
  8. ^^^^ Cool looking Chevys!

9. bubba55

bubba55

Sweet Chris - glad fer ya !
    Make some new memories
    Later ya Irish Nut

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

yeah mike how are you and the projects doing

11. Bowtie Coupe and nunattax like this.
  12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

moving on to the next job connecting up the vacuum lock up switch on the trans using 4mm hose from the carb to the advance/retard and T ing that to the vacuum switch.4mm wont go on the vacuum switch but 5mm will and the 5mm fits on the T.the Tis from a early 70 s yamaha 2 stroke twin fuel line .its metal and fits great.

13. rustang

rustang

Truck is looking great!!

Bowtie Coupe and nunattax like this.
  14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

\z
    thanx rustang still snagging it twil take a bit longer to finish

15. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

me too ,still missing him

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

small progress,made a bracket to hold the vacuum lockup switch to the trans.18 mm hole allowed the switch to sit snug in the bracket ,then drilled a few holes to allow me to lockwire the switch in place.used existing holes in the lokar bkt to bolt the bracket in place.connected the vacuum lines when I lay my hands on the correct gauge wire ill wire it up. the clocks went forward at the w end the extra daylight is great . vacuum switch 014.JPG vacuum switch 016.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Bowtie Coupe, TFoch and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

today found some wire amongst the left overs in the painless box and wired the switch.ran a feed to the firewall where the sparks will decide where to find a fused, switched source. 30A

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

moved on to finishing the battery cable connections.had purchased a kit from summit #AAW-500337 .to suit my side pole battery.thanks Robert for piggy backing them on his order from California.
    kit looks good time will tell. moulded covers feel good ,the terminals are copper . not bad for $14.hope to solder them on mon ev.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

still plenty left to do.id like to raise the seat base by 2" to improve comfort.make a bracket for the brake light switch and fit it.fit the mechanical temp gauge and route the probe and line.this is a dash out job for me.cant risk damaging the gauge or line on the rebuilt unit.fit the winder for the windscreen.amongst other jobs fit the wipers.if anyone has hints or tips on fitting the temp gauge capilliary tube and probe please don't be shy.all tips appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

mounted up the first rear indicator for a look r indicators first 004.JPG r indicators first 003.JPG might space the indicator out a little nearer the centre line of the taillight.plenty of thread left in the bracket.ill offer up the other side for a look.was reluctant to drill the bed sides but no going back now.be safe be seen

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

put a 5/8 spacer in and moved it forward a tad.happy with this position..need some proper spacers to finish.will do the same on the other side. turn signals 2 003.JPG turn signals 2 002.JPG

22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

r h s done .spacer is temporary. turn signalleft h s 001.JPG

Bowtie Coupe, tb33anda3rd and TFoch like this.
  23. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Wow, I just went through 13 pages very quickly. We have a lot to visit about. I hope we get the chance.

John

nunattax likes this.
  24. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

yeah so do i.only seems like yesterday I started it. time flies when you r having fun

25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

on returning from a spin lately I came home running on 7 cylinders fairly pissed off I was .nothing happening on no7.changed the plug for another I had fired on 8 but quickly returned to running on 7.performance distributors dizzy with new cap /coil/module,everything I expected in new condition.replaced the plug with another fired on 8. next time had a wet plug on 5 next time wet plug on 8.very strangebought a couple of plugs went fitting today.because the misfire jumped from no7 to no8 I discounted head gasket trouble even though I had a misfire and a wet plug on adjacent cylinders no5 and no 7.discovered the cap was able to twist on the distributor.pulled off the wires and had a closer look.,removed the cap and fitted the cap I had replaced .(throw nothing away).it was a better fit,much better.i contacted the company I purchased from.they offered to replace the cap .I accepted its now in transit to me .that was very good customer service to me.ill name them when the cap arrives.hopefully the new cap will solve the problem.PARTS PURCHASED FROM SUMMIT excellent service

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Bowtie Coupe and TFoch like this.
  26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

once the misfire is sorted ill be able to fit the mechanical temp gauge ..hope to get the dash removed tomorrow there is unfinished business in there it will be possible to do a good job with the dash and column out of the way.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  27. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

allways felt the seat was a bit low for me .started to raise the seat by approx.1 1/4".temp fitted the foam felt an improvement so will do another bit tomorrow

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

got my new spacers for the indicators.top job mick,thanx. turnsignal spacers 001.JPG

29. bubba55

bubba55

Hey Chris in some areas of the world turn signals / indicators are a sign of weakness

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

deathrowdave likes this.
  30. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

not in my world bubba trying to keep the truck dent free touch wood.very much needed when driving a satin black truck at dusk or in the dark.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.