Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about ford fe water pumps.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plainphilthy, May 21, 2010.

1. plainphilthy

plainphilthy
    from atlanta ga

Will a water pump from a 1965 fe 352 fit a 1963 fe 352? I have converted the Galaxie from generator to alternator using a custom bracket, so the alternator is in the stock generator location and I'm only using the bottom threaded hole on the old water pump. Also, what do you think of the Edelbrock pumps compared to using a stock rebuilt pump? They make pumps for the fe blocks, but only 1965 and up. Thanks guys.

2. 64gal

64gal

Should work, will bolt on for sure. I believe fan spacing is the same. Possibly early power steering pump mount was deleted on newer pumps, but not sure. Tom.

3. plainphilthy

plainphilthy
    from atlanta ga

No power steering for me, so no worries on that end. I just read somewhere that "Flow Cooler" water pumps are better than the Edelbrocks, any truth there?

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The little bypass hose that goes between the water pump and the early intake manifold nipple is a different size. IIRC the early bypass is larger on the early intake but I was able to get it to work. I used an early intake with a 66 pump. I was able to get it to work but if they are selling it to Harry Homeowner it will not be a direct interchange so they don't list it as fitting. I think I just used the larger hose and compressed it with the clamp to tighten up on the smaller 66 pump nipple. It's too close for a reducer of any kind. I believe that that is the only difference.

2 weeks ago I would have loved to buy your old generator and mounts but I just recently gave up looking and bought an alternator. I wimped out.:D

5. I think that the flow cooler is a better pump, all flow cooler does is cooling. But there are twice as many opinions as there are arm pits around here. Mine won't smell any better than any one else's.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. plainphilthy

plainphilthy
    from atlanta ga

Your not the first to say that about the flow cooler pump, so your armpit may be okay.

7. Lee Chamberlain

Lee Chamberlain

They out perform edlebrock in flow rate by 20%

8. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

If weight isn't an issue, then use the Flow Kooler. It weighs 18lbs. The Edelbrock 8805 Aluminum Victor Series weighs 5.3lbs. I use the 8805, but mostly for weight reduction.

9. plainphilthy

plainphilthy
    from atlanta ga

Yep, goin with the flow cooler. Don't care about weight at all, just want a good daily driver. I travel 70 miles a day, 5 days a week. I also want to convert it to a electronic ignition, the kit that goes inside the distributer cap. Does anyone know if you have to remove the entire distributer to install it or not?

10. FityFive

FityFive

I realize this is an old thread, but am wondering how the flow cooler pump worked out. My wife has a 1960 Thunderbird that I am interested in swapping in a newer style pump (flow cooler or Edelbrock 8805).