Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Borgesson power steering mercury 1952

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by K-A, Dec 25, 2017.

1. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

Anyone that have installed borgesson ps in merc/ford 52-54??
    I want to keep my shifter on column but the first eyeballing when opening the box shows that the new steering calls for shortening the column too much.
    Hope i will be able to move up the gear selector arm up but maybe someone already solved this?[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I've never done one but my eye's tell me only 5" back? It also appears that the steering column tube is meant to fit over the new steering box?

3. I had a similar issue in my 51. I wanted the stock column, wheel and shifter so had to do just a bit of Fab work, no big deal. I shortened the column and mounted it inside above the toe board and to the toe board. Then used a piece of 3/8" X 3/4" channel to drop the shifter rod eye back out and to the stock location. Then made an access cover over the modification. Just something ya do when you can't Visa Card a problem. Think outside the Box and don't let it be a problem. Your issue is real common and I haven't yet seen it addressed in the 1-800 world. Here's 2 photos. Look close just along side the dip stick loop, that's the modified arm coming through the Toe Board.
    51 Vicky 007.jpg This is what it looks like from the inside at the floor. The inside half of the column is actually a removable cover to access the arm. It took a little Voo-Doo to make the 2 speed shift Crown show the right gear when the rod is connected to a 700-R-4.
    51 Vicky 001.jpg It may not look 100 percent correct but I still think it looks much better than an Idiot S.S. Tilt unit. Good luck with your Quest.
    The Wizzard

4. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

Thanks wizzard! I need to start tear it down to see what can be done, but looks like it ends up partly in the coupe. Maybe an z extension on the shiftarm is needed. Did you put any bearing or fixation on the tube?

5. Yes it ends up partly inside. Yes, you need a lower bearing in the Tube. It's a common hardware store bearing for your column. Not sure what your skill level is but this is way easy once you figure it out. (at least for me)
    The Wizzard

K-A likes this.
  6. martyk98

martyk98
    from washington

I'm getting ready to do a power steering swap. Keep us posted with pics of your progress. Most of these posts crap out before the final product is done.

7. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

Steering box in place and shifter reworked(pictures comes later) next question; one solution im considering as pump is to use electric, but my question is:
    Will my box work ok with pump designed for racknpinion??
    The pressure is lower(1000 psi) but constant regardless rpm of engine.
    Will it be hard to steer? Anything i oversee? Anyone with experience?

8. Here's what I know first hand. There are several rides out there with M-2 style Racks under them with Both G.M. and Ford gear box style pumps on them that are doing just fine. I have never gone the other way but would think you'd be fine. What does Borgesson recomend using?

9. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

Thanks, i tried borgesson support but received a stupid answer that the pump would handle it?!? But i would not be satisfied with the setup because of low pressure at idle?!?with electric pump. I assume i will get more professional support by the entusiasts in HAMB.

10. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

Finally the steering parts are falling into place. Gear-selector working and waiting for paint. 20190305_202555.jpeg 20190305_191908.jpeg 20190117_195200.jpeg

11. Looks good K-A. Very much like I did on the 51.

K-A likes this.
  12. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

Adapter on steering axel TIG welded, was planning to add two pins but wad not recommended to do that since it is tube and not homogen axle. Any ideas?

20190310_140243.jpeg 20190319_215647.jpeg

13. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

Testing the fit, must cleanup, paint and sort up wires before final installation.

Testing was successful regarding function, but the pump is a bit noisy.
    Also need to arrange some function to start the pump only when engine is running.
    I have powergen with only one wire out so signal from alternator is not possible.
    Planning to add oilpressure contact and relay to make pump start when pressure is built up. 20190320_204758.jpeg

14. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

Had to add some paint on the parts before assembly. Volvo vanilla pearl. 20190409_201537.jpeg

15. BJR

BJR

Wouldn't it be better to have power steering when ever the key is on? That way if the engine dies while driving, you still have power assist to pull over to the side of the road.

16. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

As long as the car is rolling you have no pro lem without power assist. You get the same situation with belt driven pump also if engine stops.
    And the ele tric pump is a big consumer of current so do not want it to run before chargi starts.

17. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

After one summer of driving I am very satisfied the merc with borgeson steering box and electric pump.
    The steering feels like a modern car, 4 rounds stop to stop and got rid of the sloppiness.
    The electric pump give a slight high frequency noice in engine bay, but not so loud its annoying.
    Hope the pictures can be of help if anyone go for the same solution.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  18. Well done. Glad your pleased with end result.

K-A likes this.