Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Selecting rims and where to buy them from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by testdepth, Mar 26, 2019.

1. testdepth

testdepth

I am currently searching for street rims to place on the rear of my truck. 15 x 10 is the size I need. I have Rocket Racing rims on the front and I have been looking for something to put on the back that looks good but haven't been able to find something I like. Any suggestions and also where to buy?

48375253_10205408352084337_2001356521149038592_n.jpg

2. You say "Looks good"
    That will mean a lot of different things to different people. There seems to be a lot of shade thrown here for the bolt on 10 spokes. So get ready for that

US mags and team III as well as Real Rodders wheels is where I look.
    There's some nice sets in the classifieds here too.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  3. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

You're gonna need more than just the rims, you might want to get the entire wheel.;)

4. squirrel

squirrel

Gotta admit that wheel combination is one I never expected to see out in the world....

Used 15x10 aluminum slots don't seem to be as easy to find as they used to be. But you can buy new ones from China, pretty reasonable.

I don't know if this is the correct bolt pattern, etc, but it's an example. and you can find narrow version to fit the front.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usm-u10115006535/overview/

5. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Caution, if you have original Studebaker drums -- can't remember exactly, perhaps it's a raised area of smaller diameter than the bolt circle which prevents other "brand" steel wheels from contacting the drums in the area directly behind the lug nuts. Decades ago, I had an "off-brand" wheel develop cracks between lug nut holes, and part company. Make sure that your alloy wheels have a large enough center holes to properly seat against the drum.

Love the looks of that era Stude; wish I kept mine. And if you want to have spare fenders, you only need two, since they are interchangeable, front to rear!

6. Those Stude trucks have such a nice shape to them.
    Looked a long time for the 15 x 10 TTs on mine. Gotta have your money ready when a set pops up. They don't stay on the market long, be ready to jump.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Rims are hard to find these days.
    Wheels, not so much.

mkubacak and Shutter Speed like this.
  8. Another pair of those gawd-awful 10 spokes....

Those things are a crime against hot rodding.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  9. You guys are fighting a loosing battle. It must be a generational thing, but its now accepted and I get tired of correcting people about it..I gave up.

chryslerfan55, Latigo and 302GMC like this.
  10. Yep, US Mags has some nice stuff.
    Can spend an hr on their web site easy

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. I know right, it's not like their isn't more important things to shovel resources at.

Regardless,
    there will be no wheel without a rim,,,

XXL__ likes this.
  12. What about these, they are all 15" x 10" Rocket, All these are from Summit,they have hundreds of different wheels. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. testdepth

testdepth

Because this truck was raced on the drag track I was told that was the style way back when. Mismatched rims and that is what the guy who owned it last was going for. He put the spoked Rocket Racing upfront and bullet holes in the back on purpose. Rocket Racing doesn't have 15 x 10 rims that match the front ones.

14. There are no wheels that match those 10 spoke fronts.
    You should be able to match the color/contrast theme but not the wheel design

Just Gary and testdepth like this.
  15. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

How about steel 15x10 painted black?

16. Those wheels are a sorta-knockoff of 12 spoke Halibrands that were used back then. But because the originals were spindle-mounts and had no provision for front brakes, the only cars they were race-legal on was dragsters, competition coupes, early funny cars, and altereds; cars that weren't required (at the time) to have front brakes. They were NEVER legal on 'gassers' as they had to have front brakes. Somehow the revisionists have decided they were gasser wheels, which was never true. 'Back in the day', your truck would have been equipped with either some type of dish mag or a five spoke design, both with lug nuts.

There are modern spindle-mount wheels with provisions for front brakes, but virtually none of them feature a 'traditional' design...

Those 10-spokes are as 'authentic' as empty blowers with a carb inside, 'flathead' valve covers on a SBC, or fake fuel injection stacks... strictly poser parts...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There will be when all four of his wheels are in his swap meet booth, there was a buyer once before, should be easy to sell them to the next wannwbe.
    Start all over.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

all the cool kids buy their wheels at the swap meet.

blowby, Just Gary and squirrel like this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

The thing is that around here, "way back when" means a time when neither of those wheels had been invented yet.

I totally get mismatched wheels....but the mismatch on those two designs is a bit further out than we usually see! Of course, you have to have a pretty good understanding of the history of racing wheels to know that.

20. I too have been curious about at what point in time wheels ceased to be wheels and became rims instead.

47ragtop likes this.
  21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My personal opinion, and what I'd do, is to have the SAME wheels front and back; that might be a little too late in your case since you've already bought the fronts. Maybe sell them? If this was strictly a drag car, I'd say leave the Welds, front AND back , but for this forum, you're going to have to take a step back in time, way back. For the year of the truck, 5 slot aluminum would work. I usually like Cragar S/S, but I'm having a hard time seeing them on your truck. Step up you "computer geniuses", and do some computer wizardly that I don't have. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

testdepth likes this.
  22. Yep, somebody told you wrong..Look at the Tri 5 gasser thread, which started in 2005..Those things stared creeping in about 2007.
    But hey, to the neophyte, they were marketed as "Gasser" wheels , by a real pro at disinformation..That's why I call them PT Barnum wheels.:D
    Oh, and to the o/p: Get yourself a copy of the Don Montgomery book on gassers of the 60's, and pick two (or is that four?)

testdepth likes this.
  23. testdepth

testdepth

Jesus now I'm a poser or my truck is.

24. egads

egads

So , What bolt pattern and backspace do you need? DSC00033.JPG

Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS and Black_Sheep like this.
  25. See How's that for some shade?

I don't see any resemblance to the 12 spoke spindle mount at all other than being round.

In and of them self the wheels do not induce vomit nor are they offensive in appearance. Who ever designed them did a good job because they do sell a lot of them, we see them everywhere and I'm sure you'd love to have the profit they generate. We see them in nostalgia gas class racing, but I've not seen them on any altered or up.

Blues4U likes this.
  26. testdepth

testdepth

I don't particularly care for the spoke rims/wheels and did view a few videos of gassers taken in the 50's. Most had matched sets of US Mags or Cragars it looks like. I had called Rocket Racing asking if they made a 15x10 in the spoke design and they said no. Anyone want to buy or trade for some spoke Rocket Racing rims/wheels?

27. testdepth

testdepth

This truck has aftermarket Strange Engineering axles with 5 x 4 3/4 pattern using 1/2" x 20 studs. 4 wheel disc brakes. Tires I have are 15".

28. 5window

5window

No. Just misinformed or not yet educated. No harm or foul in that.

29. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

If you can use your imagination, drive your truck to a decent local tire shop. Ask them to set different style wheels up against your truck that are available in the bolt pattern and width's you want, see if anything strikes your fancy. Joe

30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ohhh, let's see: Back in '08, some low riders were looking at a too-high Buick Skylark rolling by, on 24" 'Donks'! The one with the ball cap on backwards (and the XXXL "shorts" and XXXXL tee shirt) said, "Orale'! Check out the REEMS!"
    Instantly, he was corrected, and the donks/wheels/reems became 'rims'.
    That part anyone can understand. Capite? (capesh/capeesh)

Jibs and Chili Phil like this.