Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Pontiac radiator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by casper50, Mar 25, 2019.

1. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

Received bad news from the radiator shop. Mine is shot. Leaking everywhere. $670 to recore it. I've searched online but can't find any new Pontiac radiators older than 61. Anyone know where I can buy a new one or anyone have a good OEM one for sale?

2. ........As bad as it sounds, $670 might not be too awful. If it was working for you before, consider getting it done then you will know what you have. Sure, you can probably get an aluminum one for half that if that's what you want to do. Nothing is cheap anymore and it's getting harder to find shops that will even repair your radiator. Good luck. Is it the same as a '55 Chevy radiator?

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  3. .....You need to post this stuff on the main discussion forum so more folks will see it.

4. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

6. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

The car had been sitting for around 24 years before I bought it. Rad was an unknown quantity. Chevy won't work. This one has a heater core connection on the bottom drivers side as well. Strange heater hookup. If I could find a 1/2 price aluminum one I'd buy it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Superior Radiator in Detroit Michigan. Great work, reasonable prices, sometimes slower than we might like. I’ve had great success with them.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Had our 56 recored, does not cool as well in my opinion. The replacement cores do not fit the thickness of the tanks. I have seen others modify existing by adding a nipple for heat and bracketry. Wish I knew what the source radiator to modify was.

Sent from my SM-J327V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

Harry for rebuild or new?

10. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

Crusty wish I knew as well. lol I don't mind adapting one if a new one is $700 and up.

11. buds56

buds56

12. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

Buds thanks a lot. I'll ask my rad guy if he can put a heater connection on the bottom. I know very little about radiators except where to put the coolant. I checked ebay and there are both 3 and 4 row radiators under $200. What's the difference and which is better?

13. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

New aluminum, Sorry I know their not own but sometimes we have to cheat. They run around $350. Maybe slightly more.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

I have a few places to check for OEM but if I can't find a decent one I believe I'm going to do what Buds56 posted and put an aluminum 55 chevy in the original frame. On ebay they run less than $200 shipped.