Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Roadster Car Cover Advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spencer72, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Spencer72

Spencer72

Rod Pic.jpg I am in the throws of completing my 1932 roadster and have been looking for a purpose made car cover with proper felt or better insert.

Any recommendations?

2. egads

egads

California Car Cover with flannel lining are pricy but fit great.

Bugguts, Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. California Car Cover.
    Expensive & worth it. I learned when living in Monterey, CA with just a carport for my '55 Chevy.

Special Ed, lothiandon1940 and egads like this.
  4. Spencer72

Spencer72

I have am enclosed garage a. n live in Australia with dry climate. So a light cover the that will not scratch the black paint is what I'm after. Definately won't be out in the conditions

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. I think the real key to any cover is to not leave them on there for too long. They need to be removed periodically to allow for any moisture to dissipate and fine dust to be washed off. You generally get what you pay for with covers. The best aren't cheap, but they are good.

Just Gary likes this.
  6. California Car Cover is probably the best, they make several different covers, some designed for exterior use and others for interior. HRP

HEMI32, Just Gary and Special Ed like this.
  7. egads

egads

All of my cars are inside and all have a California Cover on them with the flannel lining , wouldn't use any other. ( 2 black one's and never a mark on them yet )

8. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

same as them , cheapos suck.

egads likes this.
  9. Spencer72

Spencer72

10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We lived in a house that only had a carport, but it was a two side open car port. At first, we thought our cars would not get moisture or rain from the elements because of the solid wall on one side. My wife had the choice of which side for her car and she chose the solid wall side.

So, our 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was exposed on all sides under the car port ceiling. (right side facing the canyon to the ocean) Plans were in the making for enclosing the two sides, including the garage door, but there were more pressing things going on at the time. So, the cover, not a new garage, was in the offering.

A company that sounded like Covercraft had the best ones on the market. California Car Cover was not around back then. The most expensive outdoor "Weathershield" cover was much less than a full installation of a wall and garage door. So, I took the time at night to cover the 40 Ford Sedan delivery with the new cover.

Plus, the cover went with us on our travels and if the parking was outdoors, the Weathershield cover came out and was secured with a lock and cable under the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery. So Cal is a fairly mild dry climate, except for the unusually harsh winters, these past two years. So, the need for the cover was not always the number one thing.

All of the website information now, has a lot more than newspaper ads or magazine articles on the car covers, back then. But, there were auto accessory shops in almost every city, that carried several lines of covers with price ranging from low to high.

Jnaki

There are a bunch of So Cal roadster guys that do a lot of road trips annually and I am not sure if they bring along a cover for their overnight stays along the way. Check out the HAMB roadtrips with 32 roadsters. They might have more recent information.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/members/philly-the-greek.75180/
    The Road through your Windshield...
    Hot Rod Road Trips?

One thing I was told by the hot rod guys back then in the 60-70s, don’t keep the cover on all of the time in any weather. Where we lived, during the winter months, it rained. We were too high up on a hill to get constant fog and moisture. So, it was mild. It was not a cover situation every night or all day.

Besides, who leaves a 1932 roadster outside on a daily basis, anyway? Our red 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was always clean and shiny. My wife would have it no other way, if she drove it. But, she never put the cover on by herself.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  11. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an Ultraweave for my '32 highboy from California Car Cover. This cover folds very compact, easily sheds water, and is machine washable. Mine is over 10 years old and is still in great condition.

12. wayne-o

wayne-o

I just bought an Ultraweave from CCC at the GNRS. Love it. Light, sheds water, and folds compact. Had an older cotton cover that if got rained on was a bitch. Took forever to dry, was heavy, would mildew etc. I only use a cover when traveling.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My Porsche customers used car covers from some place in Sacramento. They were lined, with soft cotton/flannel like interiors. Suddenly, there were massive complaints...car covers were sticking to the cars when attempting to remove...Some paint was badly damaged, I NEVER used a cover on my '52 split windshield cabrio!
    Nor my black '27 Highboy...

14. egads

egads

My avatar Pontiac has had a California cover on it almost every day for 30 years and still looks like the day it was painted.

Just Gary likes this.