Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Flooding....Midwest HAMBers check in please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Mar 18, 2019.

1. ...these pics are from today on rt 2 between Oregon and Byron,...the water has receded quite a bit since last Monday but is still high... in the 2nd pic the driveway was under 3-4' of water Monday and that residence is on the north side of rt 2, the river is on the south side.....good thing we got a dry week this week, that helps....Russco, does your friend live along rt 2 south of Oregon?
    rock river rt 2 3-20-19 006.jpg rock river rt 2 3-20-19 005.jpg rock river rt 2 3-20-19 007.jpg

2. Levee break at Craig, Mo this afternoon...bad juju.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Any word from Joecool @Rocky ? The melting snow is due to hit Hawarden and then dump into the Missouri in Sioux City this weekend. Latest estimates shaved 3 feet off the estimate but it’s still a lot of water coming

4. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

As of now we are doing well. The river is out of the bank , and the levees on the Kansas side are doing their job.
    Still spooky looking anyway. We have a steel supplier across the river.

5. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Oh yeah, that would be me Wayne (rocky) I've long been known to leave a trail of fumes but never of the magnitude as mentioned. The nephew at the body shop is also inundated, his home is in the Hanson lakes area, I also believe the Kosiski family have a summer home there as well, a real bummer for all for sure.

flamingokid likes this.
  6. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Cob, can you imagine it is at least 70 miles long and up to 6 miles wide, if not wider in some areas. All flooded. Up to 12 feet deep. As you can tell, The water is not moving.

8. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rocky, I am across the Missouri River from you and am high and dry, my first wife's family had five feet of water in their house in 1958 and then a couple of feet in the 70's, they moved to high ground, I've always tried to do likewise. I don't even want to imagine how the folks that are flooded are doing, it would have to be terrible. The Harley Dealer near Glenwood got the bikes out, John Deere has a dealership close by and it sounded like they didn't get as much out as they should have.

9. alchemy

alchemy

We over here in the middle of Ioway are high and dry. The road out to Mom and Dad's was about a foot from flooding last week, but the water has since gone down.

10. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Fremont Ne. had a ruff weekend but not as bad a some other towns. My son is a firefighter that was in a airboat on Thursday night that flipped over in the high winds. He had to be rescued by the Nebraska Air National Guard Blackhawk helicopter.....close call for sure(we almost lost seven guys). We are thinking about things a little differently now. Gary

rjones35 likes this.
  11. rusty valley

rusty valley

when i went thru Sioux city last sunday, we saw some chunks of ice about a foot thick, and nearly as big as a car hood up in the trees stuck on branch's !!

12. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Heard rumors a Bellvue Ne. resident with a 64 Vette & a Nomad of unknown year were flooded out also.

13. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

I live in Fremont, NE. and the water got within 4 blocks of my garage, cars, and house. I was lucky, but I have friends that had buildings full of cars and engines that weren't. I have heard of a restored early 60's Corvette that had water over halfway up the side and is totaled. A '57 Chevy 2 door car with water in the engine, trans, and rear, nine 50's and older cars flooded in another building, muscle cars that were flooded up to the rockers, but still had water coming out of the engine oil drain plug before any oil followed. So, there are many automotive horror stories just in this one city!

14. flamingokid

flamingokid

I was in Omaha last Thursday and they had just opened up 75 Hwy northbound. After heading to UNMC, I took some Porsche parts out to Eagle, NE and instead of the 4 miles south from the Greenwood exit on I-80, it was a 40 mile trek to Waverly and then back east.....what a mess.

29StudeDude likes this.
  15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

180 miles of levees have been breached from Sioux City, Iowa to Missouri border.

Army Corp of Engineers working on.

Really bad mess for so many.

29StudeDude likes this.
  16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

They have opened up I-29 from Council Bluffs south to H-way 34. Routing people east down 34 to H-way 71 south to St Joseph Missouri. Traffic is pretty busy with all the truck traffic rolling threw town. Be patient and remember all the people dealing with water issues. Check for road detours before traveling. Looking south from 34 on the river bottom, Pacific Junction and surrounding areas looks like a big ass lake as far south as you can see.

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

09CF5172-2FD0-47BF-B5E3-3DF28B00F00A.jpeg Little blurry sorry, saw this posted today. Can’t even fathom a 500 foot long, 50 foot deep hole where the road used to be.

18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1. we are out ,gutter high water ,still haven't been able to get back in. Thought we were going to be ok so we didn't move out ,the vevee broke and we hade water rising in 1 1/2 hours. Got medicine soem clothes aqnd important papers is all . I'm in Omaha with my daughter ,trying to get an apartment.Total loss ,no flood insurance. Now we get to do it all again.

2. JOECOOL, Today at 11:14 AM Edit Report

19. Joe Cool just checked in...not good news at all! I'll try to post an aerial photo of his house but the roof is all that's visible..

20. Joesfloddedhouse3_19.jpg Joe Cools house in the center of the photo....I assume his 57 is still in his shop building

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That really sucks, main thing is though that you all are safe! Losing material things sucks, but ones health is what really matters.

22. rusty valley

rusty valley

there is a place near me that the minnesota river floods regularly over the road. years ago, they did not block it off, and folks (me too) just drove thru the water. general rule of thumb if you could still see the white lines the water wasnt too deep. slow moving, maybe 6-8 inches deep. well, one year the water got into the seam in the blacktop in the center of the road and made a shear cliff at the center many feet deep and about 100 feet long. they now block the road when flooded!

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh shit :( Rock let us know if there’s anything we can do for him

24. .......and now my fellow club member, Cliff checked in. He had his mild custom 58 Impala stored in my little suburb town in a buddy's shed...safe from the flood until the levee broke. Missouri Riverwater 3 feet above the car's top. It's gonna have to come COMPLETELY apart! Upstream, the farms were flooded putting gasoline, anhydrous ammonia and all the chemicals needed to farm were in the river water. Also, the sewage plants were flooded putting raw sewage in the river and into Cliff's primo 58.
    I'll be going over to his house where we'll completely disassemble the car in his driveway and clean, clean, clean every nook and cranny. It's going to be as expensive as building a 58 Impala from scratch.....damn!
    58cliffsflooded.JPG 58cliffsflooded1.JPG 58cliffsflooded2.JPG

25. Look what that acid impregnated flood water did to the car's paint...sad

26. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Man - really sorry to see that.
    Rebuilding a pride and joy will be painstaking.
    I know it's really bad in Nebraska and Southwest Iowa.
    Most important no loss of life.

27. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I get to hating our winter more every year- until I see what you folks have to face up to. So sad.

28. Oh f##k no no no! Not Cliff's '58!! Donetta (God rest her soul) needs to ask her fellow angel friends to help Cliff out.