Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seanbelushi, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Tune_UP

Tune_UP
    from colorado

Nice to meet you last night. The car looks awesome! Hope those trim pieces work good.

seanbelushi likes this.
  2. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Great to meet you too! Got some of the stainless straightened out, polished, and installed today. It's getting so close!

image.jpeg

3. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Big progress to come. Have been accumulating a lot of parts, just haven't had the time to install. Stay tuned

4. LBCD

LBCD

5. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Awesome job! I love the color combo you picked, very similar to what i hope to finish mine in someday. Glad to see another four door getting some love too.

6. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

IMG_0462.JPG The hundred-hour weeks at the hospital have been hard on getting any work done on the '52. Got all the weatherstripping and side glass installed. I did manage to buy the tires recently, and plan on getting them installed in the next few days. In the meantime, I couldn't resist propping them against the car to see what they'll look like!

I still need to find some good stainless for the rear fenders, get the interior finished, rebuild the rear axle (bad bearing), and do bumpers.

flux capacitor and PeterB like this.
  7. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

You sure are doing an awesome job, best to you man!

seanbelushi likes this.
  8. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Got a few moments to work on the 52 today. Got the wheels powder coated at Les Schwab ($30.40 each, what a STEAL) and the Coker tires mounted. The color match is spot on. It's so close...
    IMG_0861.JPG
    IMG_0860.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG
    Do have a problem, though. All of the side windows are REALLY hard to roll up/down. It's not the mechanism, as they move easily without the glass in place. It's almost as if the glass is slightly too large. I ordered a kit from National Chevy Association specifically for this car, so it should be OK.

Has anyone tried actually trimming the edge of the glass down 1/8"?

Thanks,

Sean

PeterB likes this.
  9. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

IMG_0868.JPG Ended up rebuilding the rear axle and replacing the carrier bearings. It's not silent, but much improved. Will probably replace the axle bearings at some point, but I'm tired of working on the rear end. Hopeful to get tags this week, and then begin to drive her a bit.

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Try some spray SILICONE on the window channels. My OT, DD truck had electric windows; got to where the motors could't take the stress, and burned out; the switches were problematic too. I replaced everything with manual crank mechanisms, and things were fine. However, the drivers window would occasionally jump the channel when rolled all the way down, and no adjusting helped. Then I sprayed them with silicone, and it worked real slick (no pun intended). You've really come a long way, and done a great job, on that old Chevrolet! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

seanbelushi likes this.
  11. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

I've been driving the car for about a week now sorting out the bugs. My biggest issue has been the rear axle. It was making a lot of bearing noise, so I just replaced all the bearings. Sadly, it was still roaring/whining. After taking it all apart for the fourth time...it appears that the gears are worn beyond saving.

So, off to the junkyard I went, and purchased a rear from a 96 Blazer 4wd with 3:42 gears. Put it in the back of my Audi, and cut all the brackets off. Hopefully tomorrow will weld on some new brackets and get it back on the road!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Got the new Blazer rear installed, and it's nice and quiet. However, it has highlighted that my driveshaft is out of balance.

Gotta get that done next...it's always something. But at least it's running!

13. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Been driving the '52 a good bit lately, trying to sort out some bugs. So far nothing major.

Here's a short video watching a storm roll in over Pikes Peak

14. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

I haven't given up on the 52, so don't worry. I graduated from my Nurse Practitioner school, and now have a bit more free time and money to play with. Up next, I plan on gauges, interior, and HVAC. Since winter is coming I'll not be driving the car as much, so should have no reason to delay getting this done.

15. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Wow...it's been over a year since I posted here. The car now has interior, glass, radio, etc. I still need to work on HVAC, front/rear bumpers, and a better grille. Otherwise, the car is done. Will get pics soon.

slv63 and Wraith like this.
  16. Great job on this project! Quick question. Was the Blazer rear out of a full-size Blazer? How is the fit in you car width wise? Bolt pattern the regular Chevy 5 x 4.75? I’m asking because I'm looking around for a rear for my '51 Sedan Delivery project. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  17. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

I used the rear from a 1996 S-10 blazer 4WD, which was perfect width and bolt pattern (5x4.75")

18. Ah okay! I don’t know what the width is on a full size blazer of that era but I was thinking it might be too wide. Thanks for your reply. That really helps me out.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

OK, quick update:

The car is nearly done. Installed is a new interior kit from National Chevy Association, and I’m just missing the back of the front seat and the door handles to finish.

1A16DBAD-029D-4406-8FE0-0B2BF8698147.jpeg 7FC1EF0B-2C8B-41A7-A60A-B2610AD422F3.jpeg 4B8D635F-97DA-42AB-B949-576C4B1E84F4.jpeg EE9F1389-B636-44AE-83BA-8D43F7F7CDD1.jpeg

All that’s left to finish the car is the seat back, front/rear bumpers, new gauges (the current ones are original but can’t make work with the new trans), grill, and HVAC. Hopefully that will come sometime this year.

Thanks to everyone who has followed along with this build process. Off/on it has taken nearly 8 years but it’s been a great process.

Sean

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Wow! Just skimmed through this whole thread, Dont know how I missed it before, The car looks great and from watching everything youve done, It should be roadworthy to go anywhere, I bet your family is not only proud of what youve done with the car but More so of the other major life accomplishments youve achieved along the way during the time youve been working on it.:cool:
    (Notice the "old junk wheel" you had laying around actually doesnt look too bad:D)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  21. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Thanks for reading the whole thing! I appreciate the kind words. It’s definitely been a labor of love, but fun nonetheless.

Now, on to the next one!

A13BA682-57BF-4650-94A9-07C587FB9F62.jpeg

slv63 likes this.
  22. RMONTY

RMONTY

Ouch! You are going to get this entire thread axed. Quick! Delete that pic! :eek:

seanbelushi likes this.
  23. Just caught this thread, great store and a fantastic build...you should be real proud.

24. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Mea Culpa! I will attempt to balance that photo with a video of driving my dad’s 1928 Model A. Does that work?

25. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

The 52 build continues, albeit slowly. Been working on the non-H.A.M.B. friendly Mustang for a while.

The 52 has been put out in the cold for now, but it’s coming back soon! IMG_0259.jpeg

Latigo likes this.
  26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good on ya Sean. Been following along, silently I see, thought I had given you an Atta Boy more recently than a few years. Man but time does fly!

27. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Wow, Brer! Been a long time...Dare I ask how your Chevy is coming?

I’ve been restoring an OT Mustang on my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/Mustangsean199150 if anyone’s interested. I’ll be posting updates on the Mustang and the Chevy there.

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Mustang's a 65, so it fit's within the guidelines. The shape and design of the quarter panel, faux air scoop makes it a 65.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

29. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have not touched it in +/- 5 years. Still working on getting some folks off of the family payroll. But you know, it's still sitting there, patiently waiting, and I still have the fire to get back on it. Thanks for asking.

30. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Hey Hambers! Been far too long since I’ve posted an update.
    Picked up some gauges for the ‘52 from New Vintage USA, they’re the Woodward series and they’re beautiful. Hope to have them installed soon, and will post a review on my youtube channel.
    5E13059D-4875-45E1-94AB-2E50635F7E61.jpeg

Otherwise, been working on my non HAMB friendly project (1965 Mustang). If interested you can follow that build on my youtube channel at www.youtube.com/mustangsean199150.

Thanks for all your continued support!
    Sean

0NE BAD 51 MERC and Copper Top like this.