Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Roth - Glass body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RICK R 44, Mar 23, 2019.

1. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Would like to talk to any body that has built a fiber glass body by making a male mold out of vermiculite and plaster. (as Roth did) Have found some info here on the H A M B and google, but have not found anybody that has actually done it. Any info would be appreciated. Please e mail me at [email protected] Thanks in advance

2. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I'm curious myself, I read once that when " laying up" layers of fiberglass mat and resin that you only put hardener in the last coat...wondering if that is true..

loudbang likes this.
  3. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

W
    .....greetings Willys36 did you use hardener in all of the coats or just the last?

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.

4. You must put hardener in every layer. They make several polyester resins for various purposes. Layup resin has no wax in it so it can be built up in layers. Then they make a final coat resin with paraffin wax in it that floats to the surface, sealing out air and allows the resin to totally harden. Without the wax the very surface of layup resin stays tacky. That wax must then be removed before painting. I don't use that resin, I have always found layup resin is fine for final coats. It hardens quick enough and takes Bondo and paint just fine. 3 layers of 2oz mat and resin is enough for a car bodies but the finished body must be reinforced with wood or steel tubing because fiberglass is really flexible.

a layer of gel coat in the mold is nice but not mandatory before layup of mat. it acts as a surface primer. it is polyester resin that is loaded with a bunch of colored solids.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    bct, wvenfield, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  5. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Thanks for the info Willys!...if I ever get the bulk of my current and sitting future projects done I MAY try to build a fiberglass " tanker" or " streamliner " ...when I was 16 years old I bought a fiberglass hood for my 1939 FORD Tudor from A1 in Baltimore....the top was flat instead of crowned and had a reinforcing rib in it . I cut a notch in the rib and drew the sides together to the proper crown and put a couple of layers of mat and resin on the inside. When it cured it warped the good top and I had to put a bunch of bondo on and file it to the correct shape....my only and somewhat bad experience with fiberglass....

loudbang likes this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I built my bubble top car the futurian back in 2001 using Roth’s plaster and vermiculite buck method. The glass layup over the plaster ended up being the body just as Roth did for his cars (except the outlaw) While willys 36 did build a buck he made a female mold off from it to produce his body. probably more work his way but I think you may end up with a more uniform thickness body that way.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. GuyW

GuyW

Willys36 - This thread put me over the top and I finally ordered your book...

loudbang likes this.
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Each layer needs to be saturated with resin infused hardener and air bubbles rolled out. Fiberglass 101. No matter what fiberglass material used. You also need to get the hardener ratio right or it will either not cure , shorten your working time (resin solidifying ) and waste a lot of product.

loudbang likes this.
  9. You have your answers from the 2 experts, don't look any farther.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Markgyver

Markgyver

Erased my post because of incorrect information.

11. Jay71

Jay71

I’ve been doing gel coat and fiberglass repair for a living for over 20 years and I concur what these two are saying. Laminating resin dries tacky so you may continue laying up your fiberglass without sanding after it dries. Nasty stuff so be sure to wear as much protective gear as you can.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

You're set for your job, two experts help AND pictures from start to finish. You lucked out big time.
    Good luck.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Your hood problem is testimony that you MUST give careful thought to reinforcement of the final product. 'glass is great stuff but must be properly reinforced to prevent it from doing its own thing, especially in its first 6 months before it fully cures. Don't lay any tools on young 'glass. And don't ask me how I know that!!!!

HINT: if you have a batch that doesn't have quite enough catalyst, set it in direct sunlight. The UV will harden it quickly. When I first started 'glassing, I was anal about adding catalyst. Ended up with a lot of poorly catalyzed (too little batches. After practice I now just add generous squirts by eye and always have a workable batch.

Moiarity's technique is the correct Roth method. Lets you do the free form artist thing. On the other hand I was attempting to match an existing form so had to be more precise.

OK!.jpg

14. catdad49

catdad49

Jeff, going thru your book right now. So much great info/ history! I commend you on following your dream, not many would have carried it thru. Suffice it to say, that there is much more to this book than the creation of a Dream (The Mysterion)!

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

bct likes this.
  16. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Thanks for all the info

17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

And you have options applying gelcoat, either spray , brush or roll on. As you are starting out and growing in experience mixing resin and hardener close or dead on to manufactures recommended ratio.As time goes on ,you will develop a sense of how much hardener to mix with the amount of resin and it will become second nature as how much of a squirt of hardener you need. Good luck.

willys36 likes this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Remember to use a dust mask when sanding . The better quality , the better it protects you and your lungs.

19. Colin HD

Colin HD

Built my the proper Ed Roth way with plaster & vermiculite, messy but fun.

Attached Files:

GuyW, Max Gearhead and Moriarity like this.