Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 390/C6 combo shifts hard, pulsing power output

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clay Belt, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Alright folks, back for round four with the Thunderbird. Both this round and the previous two I noticed that the car pulses slightly when it comes to power output, plus it almost bangs the shifts from 1-2 and 2-3. The torque converter fell out and was reinstalled during the engine install for round two, but I was more concerned with rod knock than I was other issues. The last go I was starting to worry about the transmission issue before it developed rod knock due to my own stupidity (never cleaned the oil passages from previous). This time, “new”motor that’s a known quantity, but the car still pulses at low RPM’s and bangs gears harder than sailors do hookers during fleet week. I know the car needs new transmission and motor mounts, but I don’t think that’s factoring into things currently. Advice?

loudbang likes this.
  2. 1930 A

1930 A

is your vacuum line hooked up

3. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Last I looked that question had a yes answer, but that was three months ago

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

try replacing the vacuum modulator

5. Once had a Vette that had pulsating power. Turned out to be an intake gasket leaking vacuum.

6. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

What are you running for fuel?..could be " lean surge" due to ethanol blend fuel...

Clay Belt likes this.
  7. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

It’s a 93 octane ethanol blend with sea foam. However, I have more news. Replaced the modulator and took it outside the neighborhood to see if there was any difference. Discovered the hard way that it stalls out uphill, despite an almost full tank of gas. It’s not a normal stall out though, as it’s almost like the motor is being forced to a standstill. Currently suspecting it’s all tied to the torque converter, but unsure and would like others opinions.

loudbang likes this.
  8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Does it shift late at full throttle shift points even at low throttle if so check vacuum while driving.

9. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

No, it’s not shifting late. Just hard

loudbang likes this.
  10. FityFive

FityFive

I could be mistaken, but I thought you could adjust (with an Allen) the vacuum modulator of a C6 transmission to shift harder or softer.

Below is a link to an adjustment video:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    loudbang likes this.