Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anybody running a 1955-58 Chevy air cleaner?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Choppedcoupe, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

I'm building a 50s-oriented Model A. I've got a 3-97s set up for it, but the sbc engine I bought for the car came with a Holley 4bbl carb. I plan to get the car on the road with the 4bbl, then one winter switch to the 3-97s. But, I'm having a hard time coming up with an air cleaner set up that I like for the 4bbl. Everything I see is either too billet, or so over-used (Caddy air cleaner) that I just can't get into it. Anybody got a picture of an early coupe with a mid-50s air cleaner? Or maybe have a Chevy air cleaner for sale?

2. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

Wolk Designs produces some copies of 50’s and 60’s air cleaners. Here is one for a 4 barrel carb. I believe it’s a copy of an Stellings & Hellings air cleaner.

http://wolkdesign.net/single4bbl.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I like the look but if I recall correctly they used a oil bath air cleaner. If that’s not a deal breaker, it shouldn’t be too hard to come up with one through eBay or other used parts channels.

4. badshifter

badshifter

5. If it rains where you live be careful of water settling around the wing nut. It can run down into the engine. Causes hydroloc. Yep it happens. Surprised the heck outa me!

chevy57dude likes this.
  6. earlymopar

earlymopar

I have a mint condition 58 Chevy 2-barrel air cleaner that would be easy to convert to 4-barrel.

- EM

7. would a rubber washer help that?

BigO likes this.
  8. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Thank you everybody-especially badshifter!

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Stock air cleaner 55-58 won't fit a Holley without modification, or the plastic adapters (E-Bay has some aluminum ones however). There are some "retro" air cleaners on the market, but they're usually chromed; could always paint one. badshifter's 2 barrel "lid" is the top half of an oil bath. Check in over at ChevyTalk.Org; some of those guys have converted their oil baths to paper element in the 55-57 forums. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. Terrible80

Terrible80

On my ot slant six w / Holley 4 bbl I run an oil bath with oil. Shocking I know.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

All that attention to detail. Love it. But why leave the sticker on the coil? ;)

12. Andy

Andy

I have the bottom half of a 55 Chevy 2 bbl oil air filter plus an odd top and a complete Dodge or something 2 bbl oil air filter. You could get a import base and put either on top.

glorydime likes this.
  13. finn

finn

My 36 Ford pickup came with a bunch of circa 2005 billet in the engine compartment. I coupled what I think is an oil bath dual snorkel late fifties upper with a generic import lower on the Edelbrock carb. Not totally satisfied, but it’s better than the billet and does ok at hiding the carb.

14. I hollowed out this Ford 6 Oil Bath cleaner( thats what i was told it was)and made a new mounting neck. A 60's Valiant paper element fits inside. JW
    [​IMG]

alanp561 and scotty t like this.
  15. primed34

primed34

Early louvered Corvette

16. That's how it is now. 54 Chevy with old style stainless bullnose. Water interred thru the seam of the hood.

17. Same thing happened to a buddy on an early 50's chevy. He cured the problem with a rubber washer.

18. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know it's probably sacrilege but why not use a late 50s - 60s Ford air cleaner. Worked on my 390 powered dirt car. Turn the top upside down for full flow.

Retterath likes this.
  19. Greasyman

Greasyman

Why not get a run of the mill air cleaner and glue a picture of some hot babe to it? You could get into that.

20. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

I welded in a air cleaner bottom from an edelbrock unit to my ‘56 oil bath cleaner so it would fit my carb. These setups arent hard to find.

Attached Files:

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  21. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

The ford one looks good, maybe put a little old skool pin striping on it if it's used on an open engine.

22. GeeRam

GeeRam

Yep, that's what I'll be using too (and looks right with the Corvette valve covers and ram-horns :))