Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1939 Ford pickup stops uphill

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FECH, Mar 23, 2019.

1. FECH

FECH

Hello,
    Please indicate if someone knows how to fix: My Ford 1939 pickup stops randomly when going uphill. I thought it is a fuel issue, but I am not sure, because the gas pump and filters are full of gas.

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Full tank or not? Maybe try backing up to see if it still stops...

3. FECH

FECH

Full tank. Why you mean backing up?
    When the engine stops, I have to wait few minutes and it starts again.

4. Ha, backing up hills is something that goes way back to my grand parents day and maybe early T's. Backing up put the tank higher than the engine and gravity pulled the fuel into the carb.
    Have you looked in the carb when it dies to see if there is fuel present? See if the squirters squirt fuel the next time it dies.

5. FECH

FECH

Thank you for your help. I will check the next time it dies.

6. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Your issue may not be " gravity " related as in fuel runs away from pickup but " load " related...you need to generate more power to go up a hill. You may have a dirty filter or partially clogged fuel line etc. you get enough fuel at light throttle pressure but starve for fuel when you need more. Jury rig up a fuel pressure gauge and stick it under the windshield wiper ....

7. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Had a 1968 Corvette and it would go 120 on the freeway but couldn't make it over a steep hill. Turned out the fuel filter was plugged up.

8. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

Early on on my first builf A 33 Ford pickup SBF and 4 speed. Worked great around town , The a group of us ( back in 1974 ) desided to goto Pittsburgh Pa. for ahnother clubs get together. Got about 30 / 40 miles on Interstate, my truck died.. Did all the beside the road checks , fuel filter , points , coil ect. 10 to 20 minutes had passed, hit the key and I was back in business, 30 miles later the same problem. Took the hood off in case of vapor lock. rechecked again, hit the key and again we go. The 3rd time, I sent the group ahead without me., Later it fired again and I started home the opposite direction. 30 minutes or so later again it stopped. Got it towed home. and could not find a problem. I removed rear fenders , and bed to get the gas tank. After many wo5rds not spoken on Sunday , The problem was not having enough vent. Addede a vent to inlet pipe and a new vented cap. 123000 miles later it still going with no other changes.. Remove your gas cap and try the hill...

FECH likes this.
  9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

My dad told me of switching the radiator and gas caps of model A's parked on the streets of Bath, ME. …
    the radiator caps were not vented so when switched the car would run about 8 miles and seem to run out of gas...
    those rascals !

10. FECH

FECH

Great, thank you!
    Sorry my ignorance, but how can I add a vent to the inlet pipe?

11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

12. FECH

FECH

Larry suggested add a vent to inlet pipe.
    Sorry my ignorance, but how can I add a vent to the inlet pipe?

13. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

Newer vented cap should work. I drilled my inlet pipe added a fitting and vent hose ..Now a days parts are better designed.. Cap might be all you need..

FECH likes this.
  14. FECH

FECH

Thank you Larry again, I will try it.

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But just leave the gas cap off before adding a vented unit and drive up-hill again to see if the cap is the problem or not.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does your truck kind of "chug" before it dies, or does it simply stop?

17. FECH

FECH

Is it safe to drive without fual tank cap?

In a hill, the pickup suddenly lose power and then stops, then I have to wait like 10 min or more to be able to start again. I will try to record a video and share here.
    The problem is in a particular hill slope, sometimes it works fine in others hills.

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't have a problem driving it for a few miles without the gas cap. But I honestly don't think it's the cap, cuz it only happens when going uphill. But I'm sure it's a fuel-starvation problem.
    Has this been going on for quite some time?
    If so, I'd guess your float level needs to be adjusted.

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But do as the others suggested first.
    Check for good flow to the carb.
    If there's good flow at the inlet line, it's time to get into the carburetor.
    The inlet needle may be sticking and the low float level isn't helping things...especially on hills.
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Doublepumper likes this.
  20. FECH

FECH

The problem appear since we repaint the pickup. It is a random behavior just in some hills.
    Where is the float level?
    The fuel pump and carburator are new.

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The float is inside the bowl of the carburetor. It works exactly as a toilet does...the fuel level gets to a certain level and the float lifts a fat "needle" into a seat. The float, needle and seat can be replaced.

But the carb is new. Probably not the carb, then. Could be, but not likely. Although...did the problem start AFTER the new carb was installed?

But like I and others said, check fuel flow to the carb first. King ford and 1946caddy are probably right. King ford explained it well. Under a heavier load, the engine needs more fuel than can be pumped to it. You start up the hill and the engine quickly uses what little fuel is available...then stalls.

Do as they said. Check filter and pump.

22. FECH

FECH

The same problem was with the old carburetor. It was old so I thought it was the reason, but still the same issue with the new carb. Fuel Pump is new, so I will test without gas tank cap.
    Thank you Guys!

23. 1941coupe

1941coupe

I had that same problem with a 46 ford flathead,thought it was ignition related but it turned out the gas tank was loaded with crap,i guess going uphill it shifted and restricted gas flow, removed tank and dumped and flushed it out problem solved, not saying that's your problem but worth looking into when all else fails..

24. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Unrelated----but same results, My John Deere riding mower died entermitently, set for a few minutes it's fine. Neighbor see's the game in action. Say's leave your gas cap off for a few passes. Worked just fine.-------Plugged up gas cap vent. Bill

25. FECH

FECH

Hi Guys,
    The fuel tank was removed, and cleaned; also new filters were installed.
    The pickup "chug" again in the same hill, that only happen in a particular hill, in other hills doesn't die even in bigger slopes.
    Perhaps is that particular slope, the carburetor is dry when die (but the filters were full of fuel),
    They removed the tank cap as suggested to see if is a vent issue, but it didn't start. They have to put drops of fuel manually in the carb and it starts right away.
    No sure if is a fuel pump issue, because it is new and it works in other hills.

26. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

At this point I'd pull the line from the carb and check fuel pump flow into a container to make sure the pump is working correctly. Sounds like you're not getting enough fuel into the float bowl to feed the engine while under a load.

27. FECH

FECH

Thank you for the response. But how can I test the fuel pump if the problem is only in a particular slope?
    The pump is brand new, I am not sure if there's warranty because I bought it few years ago.

28. Crocodile

Crocodile

I didn't see any details on the engine, but I have an OT Ford Bronco that will lay down on me and quit when pulling a trailer on a summer day. It has an aluminum intake and a Edelbrock 4 barrel. I have replaced the fuel pump, all of the hoses, clamps, hard lines, etc chasing the problem. Turns out that with the aluminum intake, when it's pulling (building heat) the carb gets too hot and it vapor locks. Dumping gas down the carb fires it right up, because the gas actually cools the carburetor body down. I am installing a phenolic spacer on that one.
    Could be a similar issue, if it only happens pulling a long grade.

29. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

That particular slope is enough of a load on the engine to cause the float bowl to run dry...possibly due to the fuel pump not supplying enough fuel to the bowl in the first place. The fuel pump may only be supplying enough fuel to the float bowl to cover the bottom. When trying to go up that slope the engine needs to pull extra fuel from the bowl, but because the fuel in the bowl is so low (from the defective fuel pump not supplying fuel in sufficient quantities) the engine dies from lack of fuel. Hope that makes sense.

30. FECH

FECH

It could be what you said. My Father just told me that many years ago the fuel pump didn't work properly because it was over heated. Perhaps the fuel pump is overheated now as well. So the issue is how to reduce the engine heat from the fuel pump. Or is it possible to install an auxiliary electric fuel pump that works only in this situation? Attached is a partial pics of the engine and pump. 20190304_123459_HDR.jpg 20190304_123450_Burst01.jpg