Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 ?'s:TKO ? Hydraulic or mechanical clutch/ what quickchange?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wildwest, Jan 27, 2019.

1. wildwest

wildwest

Don't have a chassis yet, I have looked at So-Cal, Classic Street Rod Manufacturing, and Schroeder speed & custom (which is somewhat local to me, and I have used before & been happy with) I already have the front axle/spindles/brakes and the rear brakes. I like the idea of using somebody local so I can take them the parts I have & the body (or at least the firewall) and make sure everything jives. I'm still having a hard time deciding what clutch setup to use. I feel like the hydraulic would be the easiest with a Pete&Jakes pedal/bracket/slave/master kit , but I also feel I would like to have simple mechanical linkage. I really want this build to be as easy as possible so I can get it on the road quickly, but I also want I car I will be happy with long term. I see a bunch of 32's with TKO's in books & magazines, but of course they never go into detail or have pictures of that area ! it would be extremely helpful if they did ! It seems like a common enough practice, I'm surprised no one makes a simple kit for a TKO/SBC in a 32 frame ?

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

With him being in Troutdale that would be an easy drive for you and save a lot of money on freight and like you said, would allow you to pop in and check on progress.
    I know Bandit Billy had his chassis built by Darryl, he does nice work.

3. wildwest

wildwest

He did the chassis for my other roadster, and I was happy with his work.

4. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry I missed this thread earlier. As others have said, the Winters V8 Quickchange will hold the horsepower you have.
    BUT, as Big Duece pointed out, you intend to beat on it a bit. Stick Shift & Big Tires might be asking a lot of the smaller QC over the long haul.
    The Big unit has the advantage of bigger everything, R&P, lower shaft, bearings, change gears, and differential.

Either way, as a Winters dealer, I can help you.

PM me for details,

Bruce

5. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Back to your pedals, I used a 40 brake pedal for the brake AND clutch, so two brake pedals. Had to heatvand bend it a bit for the clutch, but you get the arm
    on the bottom of the pedal so it swings backwards when you press the pedal.
    Re v8 QC, with a light car like yours and ‘traditional’ tyres, you’ll be spinning them up most of the time, so not loads of shock, and the 9 inch conversion helps a lot. Maybe add the‘side load’ mod for the diff to help stop it move about (basically a bolt thru the bell that limits sideways travel in the diff, an old timer mod). A friend of mine runs this setup in his a roadster with a manual 39 box and a hot sbc, he drags, hill climbs and sand races it, the box has broken a couple of times, but the QC has been fine, 13 second quarters, over100mph on the sand.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019