Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Louisville - Lagrange, KY anyone in the area? need engine hoist help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by abe lugo, Mar 22, 2019.

1. HI guys,
    I need some help, so I'm turning to the HAMB.
    I'm purchasing a car, it comes with an extra engine and transmission on a pallet.

I need to ship the car, the shipper will not take the engine with if it has oil in, (so not to drain all over the trailer).

Another issue, the engine is on a pallet but at an angle. So it need to be right sided and strapped down. I can send money for the straps.

I'm willing to pay someone in the area with a hoist, that can come and right side the engine, drain the oils, and help strap it to the crate. I can ship some straps too.
    The caretaker of the car doesn't have access to these tools and also needs help.

PM me, if you can help

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Can't say I blame the shipper, about the oil. I picked up my Chrysler Hemi in San Jose, it was said to be empty of oil...had this big trick 10 qt. pan on it, no dipstick...
    We lowered it into the bed of my F100, (steel diamond tread plate wall to wall in the bed, 'adequate'.
    We drove 4 blocks to the Alameda for breakfast, one of our friends said, "Say, you're leaking oil, or something..." Sure enough, black oil. Liquid gold. I called it some other things...Had to drain it, but how?
    Orchard Supply was a mile away, so we got in and made it there. I bought a nice little plastic centrifugal pump, about $7, and some clear plastic tubing to suck the oil out of the Hemi crankcase. The 1/4" shank fit my cordless drill I had with me.
    Bought a plastic 5 gallon bucket, too...Sucked that Hemi crankcase dry...all in about 3 minutes. (slow going with 1/4" hose)
    Darn thing must have had the whole 10 qts, filled the lower half of that bucket, and then some!
    I bought a cheap lid for the bucket, we just hauled it home too.
    120 miles, not bad...Wife Joey drove more than half of it, but in the last 15 miles, I resumed driving...she asked me, "Are you gonna put this Hemi in the truck?"
    I say, "No way, this is goin' in the roadster..."
    At that instant, right then...the truck started missing, like it was out of gas...but I had 3/4 of a tank, and Stewart and Warner weren't lyin'. All the rest of the way, just an annoying 'miss'! Wasn't stopping, we were on the thin 2 lane road home.
    When we got home, I hoisted my prize out, and onto a low cart, steel casters...
    We decided to drive over to Carl's Jr., get a hamburger...Truck ran perfect.
    Taunted it with the Hemi idea, but ended up with truck being thankful for its hopped-up SBC! Ugh....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

How is the delivery truck (transporter) going to get the engine on the pallet into his transporter?

4. He has a pallet jack that he can use. No issues with the shipper, just what it is.

5. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

What about the torque converter on the transmission, does it need to be drained also?

6. You know it might also need draining. I was told the tranny had been drain already. but if someone is helping it drain it with a hoist. I might as well send a tarp or heavy plastic sheeting to wrap the bottom anyhow.

7. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

The perfect scenario would be to put the front yoke off of a driveshaft into the rear of the transmission, and then wrap it with some plastic & duct tape. That should stop any transmission fluid

8. X2 for the yoke.

9. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

It's a stick shift transmission guys. Shouldn't be much fluid in it, compared to auto. trans.