Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Plug wires on Electronic Dist

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ron Plumlee, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

SO: You folks running Bubba's dizzy on your 8BA, exactly what wires are you using? Anybody using standard copper braided with success? Or need to use suppression? Solid Core?....from what vendor?

2. What you want for a performance oriented vehicle with electronic ignition is what is called "spiral wound" plug wires. I run Taylors myself. But brand choice is no doubt up to the purchaser.

What you want to avoid is solid core and or stranded wire. They are too noisy for the control mod. If you are cheap and not worried about performance or longevity you can get away with the carbon wires that they sell in most automotive supermarkets.

Oh like the little hooptie in your avatar. Is that a Bantam or a phantom. :cool: ;)

54vicky and loudbang like this.
  3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

ALL..........electronic distributors, with or without additional ignition box should run RF/spiral core wires.
    If you run points and no ignition box, solid core is fine.

This has been so since the initial "electronic" ignition devices came onto the market about 35+ years ago.

Mike

54vicky and sidevalve8ba like this.
  4. Buckster

Buckster

Ron-I have some of that clear lamp cord wiring that lets you see the copper wires inside if you can get terminals for it.

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

what about a PERTRONIX ?

6. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

Thanx for a complete and informative reply, see U on here a lot....and for the comp on my Coudan.. a 34 Ford 4Dor, cut in two, shortened a bunch, back of back doors grafted to front of front doors, flattie power, that is old pic, now about 80% done. WAY too much work, never again. Nothing fits.

catdad49 likes this.
  7. Sometimes fun is work.

A Bantam coupe has been on my list for a while. I have thought about getting a sedan and making a Phantom (much like you have done) a time or two.

8. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Same, they also tell you not to use a solid plug wire.

I put one in my flathead and cleaned up some of the erratic issues I was having.

Cliff Ramsdell

9. squirrel

squirrel

Perhaps 50+ years ago? when the first CD ignition boxes became available

I think you'd need a lot more motor than a warmed over flathead to require anything better than standard replacement carbon core (resistor) wires. I use those cheap parts store replacement wires on my blown 427, no problems....and they look more "old" than most of the modern "performance" plug wires.

porknbeaner, 54vicky and sidevalve8ba like this.
  10. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

I will post up the Coudan build soon...plenty of good pics....it took years, good buddy Doug Ivey did the heavy stuff....a Model A would be a lot easier, or just shorten a tudor 34 at the rear windows....but to avoid stubby cartoon look we lengthened the doors and the top pie cutting and door fitting was total shit tough job. Almost done!

sloppy jalopies likes this.
  11. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

Thanks for a lot of help on this.....for the record, another excellent and helpful source for Made in USA cloth covered wires, both 7MM std, and 7.8MM spiral supression, try Brillman Co, Mt. Jackson VA brillman.com

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.