Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone have backorder issues with Speedway?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Mar 21, 2019.

1. evintho

evintho

I need a Track T rodder grille for my racecar nose. I ordered it from Speedway on Feb 6 and they said it was backordered until March 7. I called March 12 and they said 'due to the snowstorm, the interstate was shutdown, they're a little late and it should be here in a couple of days'. OK.....called them yesterday and was told it's backordered until the beginning of April! Girl on the phone was clueless and had no answers for me. Has anyone had these issues with them? I don't want to call in April and be told it's on backorder until May! Is there a pattern here?!
    Anybody have one they want to sell???

[​IMG]

Hudson31 likes this.
  2. 56shoebox

56shoebox

The delay could possibly be due to the recent flooding. I think the Midwest is under water right now., quite literally.

Hollywood-East, Tim, 5window and 2 others like this.
  3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Sometimes it takes a while to get product thru customs from China and shipped to the Midwest. I have found in the past that their back order estimates are just that estimates!

4. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Krylon32 has got it right -

5. oldolds

oldolds

6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I personally think the one @oldolds shows on ebay is way nicer than the speedway one .

7. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I've never had an issue with my orders from Speedway. My last order a few days ago actually arrived one day earlier than they said it would. Every company has some shipping problems occasionally when dealing with outside vendors and sometimes the simplest procedures just don't seem to work!!!

8. Speedway is like every other distributor in the world, they place a order just like you and are told it will be shipped such & such a date, being in business we see this happen everyday, Speedway has to depend on the suppliers. HRP

j3harleys and rockable like this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Even Walmart here had a weather/fire problem. Certain bakery goods they get from outside vendors had a 2 week wait! This was in California!
    Of course, we were surrounded by the 3 biggest fires here in the history of Cali, and 2 floods left transportation 15 days out.
    I asked a tall guy how the weather was up there, and he answered me!

BTW, if you are considering either one of those hideous grilles, your '27 is gonna think you hate it! ;)

10. town sedan

town sedan

Looks like a simple design in the picture you posted.
    Get an aluminum street sign (I didn't tell you to steal it). Draw out the pattern you like and cut it out with a hacksaw. Smooth it off with a file. Maybe polish it if you like.
    Then gently bend the aluminum to fit the contour of your track nose. Or, wait on Speedway.
    -Dave

11. alchemy

alchemy

I've never had a backorder problem with Speedway. I've never ordered anything they didn't have in stock. Their warehouse is huge, and it's actually surprising you found something they didn't have on the shelf.

Robert J. Palmer and jimgoetz like this.
  12. evintho

evintho

Awww, it's not too bad besides, it fills the hole!

[​IMG]

Nothing on Evilbay. Called Spirit Ind and Vintique. Spirit sold the last one off their shelf on Tuesday and Vintique is back ordered also. I guess I'll have to exercise patience!

jimgoetz and 5window like this.
  13. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

never a backorder problem with Speedway-they always told me up front if it was out of stock and if I wanted to order it now or wait until it came in.

14. I've always called ahead before I drive down there [45 miles] and they've always had the parts.

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I ordered some brake parts from them one time online on a Sunday afternoon. Come Monday, Speedway called ME to let me know the brake light switch I had ordered was out of stock, but they had another style one in stock, but it required an adapter fitting. They told me if I wanted that one, it was a few bucks more, they’d let me have it for the same price as the one I had originally ordered and they’d throw the adapter in free. I told them to go ahead and send it. Apparently the one I ordered was a popular seller due to it being a direct fit, same reason I was ordering it. Tried it, but didn’t like the way it worked and ended up going with a mechanical switch.

16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Never any problems and often parts arrive early.

17. mopacltd

mopacltd

Since Speedy died things are a little different.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

1: pretty sure those parts are made to order
    2: it’s kinda hard to get a semi up an interstate that’s covered in 12 feet of water for over 70 miles I’d cut em a break.

egads likes this.
  19. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

hate to say it, if they aint got ,they aint got it. I have had good luck with speedway. if its out of stock, they get it as soon as they can.

20. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

This is a China made part. To make a long story short, when I worked for Speedway there were problems like this, and it was because of shipping. All their orders from China went into a shipping container, when the container was full it came across the pond. You might have more of a wait because of this.

21. exterminator

exterminator

Never any problems with Speedway.

22. fuzzface

fuzzface

Sounds like they all get the grills from the same place seeing they all are gone or backordered at the same time . Be a good time if someone was thinking about selling one of these to throw it up on an auction site.

that is my pet peeve with local auto parts store. I wanted to buy 2 pair of identical brake pads from a local place recently but nope they only carried one set at a time and I would have to order the second one and have it shipped. Seems they don't carry much overhead anymore and try to get by on the bare minimum. seen this numerous times in the last few years with other parts too. if it is commonly sold in ones or pairs that is what they only had until the next day when the truck arrives.

Parent's business had the same problem and we started shelving extra repair parts that was common to wear and tear. cannot shut a crew down because you need to wait 24-36 hours to get a certain part because the parts store just sold one to a competitor. my dad would get irritated when we would get phone calls from the competitors looking for certain parts because the parts company told them they were sold out but we had a bunch in stock in our shop.

Just isn't parts stores anymore either. at Walmart we used to have $3 million worth of extra inventory in the backroom of the store. now we have almost nothing, backroom is bare. So if you don't see it on the shelf good chance it isn't even in the store at all now. Doesn't sell sitting back there and we can get it in the next day if we don't have it for you, that is IF our warehouse has it in stock. I have 3.5 weeks left there and I am out the door, can't go fast enough for me.

Anyways back off my rant and back on track. I am surprised a part like that is out of stock. I know what I will be looking for at the next swap meet. :)

As for Speedway they always been speedy for me. :)

23. There was no reported flooding in their area. I just talked to a realtor and they just have some problems on the dirt roads. North of I-80 to SD is another major story.

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

If you can’t take i29 to get to Lincoln, and most the paved roads to the west are destroyed it doesn’t matter if you have water in the shop or not.

25. tim troutman

tim troutman

had some tail lights ordered since new years they told me they were out of stock so no surprise . got a pair opened them found wrong light in box with the right part number . called they said they had a whole order boxed wrong just keep them & they would ship the right ones when they got them.

26. tim troutman

tim troutman

just got an email said there on there way

Tim likes this.
  27. Just ordered two glass packs from Speedway. Got them in two days. One day earlier than expected...

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could be that the container got shipped an never made it too. That probably would take months to sort out. containers in drink..jpg d and didn't make it across the pond too.

29. David Chandler

David Chandler

I ordered an intake manifold from them. It went from having it, to on back order. Three months later they still didn't have it, and I canceled the order.
    That said, everything else I bought from them came on time. it may not have been the best quality, but I got it.

30. Fordors

Fordors

By any chance was the intake an Offenhauser? That could easily explain the delay