Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lebaron Bonney Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

You can go to SMS..but good luck on getting ANYTHING in less that 6 months.. and you must pay up front..... good stuff. but Horrible service.........

2. triumph 1

triumph 1

Sad to hear this. I was planning on ordering some stuff from them.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree with Jeff on SMS--not very customer friendly. Last resort for me.

Jeff Norwell and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Well I can't imagine their service will get better now that a competitor is gone.

A guy on the ford barn said SMS had bought some of LB's stock.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  5. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Well that's depressing. Wish I wasn't such a damned procrastinator. Anyone know who would be the best bet now for '37 Buick upholstery?

6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chapter 11 is for restructure. Chapter 7 is "game over.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is.
    Chapter 7 bankruptcy
    Chapter 7 bankruptcy is a liquidation bankruptcy. Many of your possessions will be sold to repay your existing debts. ... Chapter 13 bankruptcy is known as a reorganization bankruptcy: You are given a court-approved repayment plan that lasts for either three or five years.

8. ems customer service

ems customer service

i waited 2 years from SMS after i paid in full, and by the way , i get beat up on the phone i ship in 2 days

9. frank spittle

frank spittle

In the 50 plus years that I know they have been in business they have the best customer feedback of any company I remember. We sent them money with no concern and they delivered quality products every time. I know it can't be possible to please every customer every time but they sure tried to. This is really sad.

10. Sad news indeed! I just got the requested upholstery and top samples for my '40 Ford Woodie less than 2 months ago. I was planning on placing an order this Spring, but now I will have to reconsider that plan. I've used them several times since the early 1970's and have always been pleased with the products and service.

5window and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well that truly sucks, I have two cars just about to the point that I could think about interiors. I wonder why they didn't try to sell the business before crashing into chapter 7. They have a unique niche in a strong market... I'm sure there is more to the story than we've seen so far.

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear you had trouble with SMS. I recieved my material in less than 2 weeks. ....

13. pitman

pitman

Gonna miss them. A first class customer oriented shop. They held a primary spot in an old Amesbury mill.

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Their website is down. I did find the Bankrupcy court proceedings but that doesn't tell a lot.

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I decided to purchase all the interior trim for my 46 Olds a few years ago from a reputable company (Hampton Coach) rather than try and source locally. The service was great with helpful staff and good international shipping rates. Sad to hear, a great loss to us car aficionados.

16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Bankruptcy proceedings:
    "Meeting of Creditors is scheduled on 04/25/2019 at 09:30 AM at Room 325-B, U.S. Trustee Office, J.W. McCormack Post Office & Court House." [ Boston]

Are these things public? If so, curious parties in the area could attend.

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Chapter 7 generally means a liquidation of assets. Possibly a business opp for someone to acquire part or all of the business' patterns and inventory, usually for pennies on the dollar when the assets go up for bid/sale by the bankruptcy court.
    Anyone want to get into the vintage car upholstery business?

Chucky and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

hate to see another one go down!

19. Sporty45

Sporty45

Very sad news, sorry to see them go :(

20. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

mgtstumpy and olscrounger like this.
  21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Got nothing for your company but PRAISE,.... Outstanding service and customer service.. with a KILLER product.
    Sorry to Hi jack.. But when Laurels are needed.. wear them proudly.

22. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Is there a company that sells kits?

23. brading

brading

Just noticed this thread. Not good news for our hobby when places like this are no longer able to trade due to various reasons.

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

Agreed.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A search doesn't show much on who actually ended up with what inventory they had. It Does show that SMS had an offer to buy some or all of it but not confirmed info.
    Having seen several local companies expand, move to new and far more expensive buildings and then go belly up when things got a bit tight and they couldn't cut their costs to compensate I think I would rather wait a bit and fuss about getting a quality product than see another one go under.

26. Sporty45

Sporty45

That is the million dollar question! I would love to find something for my 47 Olds coupe

27. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I got a quote from a local well recommended upholsterer for my '37 Buick for less than one of LB kit. Even when you bought one of their kits the strongly recommended using one of their recommended upholsterers. I would rather deal locally if possible.

28. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I purchased my first Model A interior from LeBaron Bonney in 1970 for my '29 Business Coupe, another for my '29 Tudor Sedan in 1982 and one for my '48 Woodie in 2002. They put out a great product that would stand up to the scrutiny of the M.A.R.C, M.A.F.C.A, and V-8 Club Judging Standards. There are two companies that sell interiors, Cartouche and Classtique. Nether one will hold up to the Judging Standards. As far as interiors for street rods both sell a decent product and will send out catalogs. I know a couple of old time LBB employees and they told me that the fact that not too many people are restoring cars any longer, several older people retired and lack of local upholstery talent caused the demise of LBB. Sad!

29. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Hard to believe! Here in Jersey, a nice (not super show quality) interior runs about 10 grand. I did my 61 Dodge with premium materials (Zodiac, and Pearl white vinyls) and the kit was only about 6 or 700$.
    I can't believe no one has stepped up and filled this void!

Jeff Norwell likes this.