Register now to get rid of these ads!

1947 Mercury Dash Bezel Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eric54chevy, Nov 16, 2013.

1. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

So I found a great 47 Mercury dash for my 41 Merc.....problem is the speedo and clock bezel where damaged in shipping (see pictures). My question is can these parts be welded back together? I know some parts on some cars are pot metal, I've read that these are aluminum, so I assume they can be welded back together. Any help would be appreciated.....Thanks, Eric

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Some extra pics for your enjoyment. The speedo and clock gauge are just resting in the hole with a loose nut holding them on, so they are not sitting where they are supposed to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Looks like die cast from here. Would be surprised if aluminum. Hope I'm wrong.

4. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

I'm betting it's potmetal. Chrome shop might be able to repair and rechrome.

5. chicagodon

chicagodon

Hi, I'm restoring a 47 Merc convert. And have a similar problem. But the spedo, center speaker grill and clock were surrounded originally with a plastic bezel. Yours appears to be an after market product that looks like "pop metal" they are still selling these pieces today on Ebay. The dent on the spedo can be fixed. The cracked "pop metal can be soldered together with a special solder and flux for pop/white metal. There are videos on u tube showing this.
    Good luck.

My problem is my plastic bezels around the spedo and clock are good. The center speaker plastic grill is toast. Anyone have one??

Don

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Model T1

Model T1

I checked. I have two sets for my 1946 Mercury coupe. They are plastic and more toasty then yours I'm sure. It gets brittle with age. Mine came from Peoria. Sorry.

7. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Mine are plastic also and the speaker grill is toast, i (think ) ford is stainless and will fit, now that i stuck my neck out some one will know better and correct me,( nothing new there):rolleyes::D

8. Drbrown

Drbrown

Looks like diecast - never heard of a way to repair that. My '47 Ford is stainless steel side to side. Grille over speaker is separate piece held by two sm bolts from underneath. Frame around gauges same.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  9. chicagodon

chicagodon

Steve, Tanks for the information on muggyweld. All the vintage cars had pop metal and silversoldering or your muggyweld is really a good solution.

Still looking for the center plastic radio grill for a 1946-1948 mercury. Someone has to have this in the garage or honey hole!

10. Drbrown

Drbrown

Dennis Carpenter catalog page 117 has plastic and diecast speaker grilles ($55) but I could not tell for sure that they fit Merc - phone them to see. I've seen them in other brand catalogs.

11. markjaramillo

markjaramillo

I know this is an old thread but I have some new cast aluminum sets if anyone is interested

12. White Devil

White Devil

I'm looking for a set, PM sent

13. sexy2baguy

sexy2baguy
    from Cincinnati

I am looking for mercury dash trim pieces, specifically the two bezels that go around the clock and speedo. You posted on a thread you had a few sets. DO you still have any? What price if you do?

14. donno

donno

Merc same as Ford. Pot metal (chromed) available from Bob Drake.

15. Actually, not the same. While both cars use the same basic dash stamping, the trim is markedly different. You can use the Ford trim if you drill some additional holes. There was somebody here on the HAMB a while back that was offering reproduction Mercury dash trim (in plastic like the originals), but they were big $$$... I see there are some repros available in die-cast, so all is not lost....

16. 47 ford

47 ford

great dash where did you find it

I'm looking for one for my 47Ford