Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake line bulkhead fittings

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Choppedcoupe, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

I'm having trouble finding SAE bulkhead fittings (that pass thru and secure to a floor board) for building my brake system and fuel supply system. I find lots of AN to AN and AN to SAE, but no SAE to SAE. Before I throw in the towel and go to AN, do any of you have a source?

2. I used ones before that were npt, I'll see if I can get a number.

3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

McMaster-Carr has bulkhead fittings in female NPT. Try PN 50785K273. You can use male pipe thread to brake fittings on each side and your good to go.

4. rjones35

rjones35

Tried Fragola?

5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Parker 207ACBH is an NPT bulkhead. A 207ACBH-2 WILL BE 1/8" female NPT. Go to any ParkerStore and you can get it. You will then need 1/8"male NPT x 3/16" inverted flare fittings to screw into each side, for example. Don't use SAE flare on brake lines.

6. Dennis D

Dennis D

Brake Fitting.JPG I cut the AN off of this frame pass through fitting and tapped it to take a pipe thread. D

19Eddy30 likes this.
  7. http://ampcherryperformance.com/

this guy will make you anything you want if he doesn't already have it , he has the best selection of odd ball stuff I've found

8. SAE flares are our standard double flare used everywhere. Unless they are metric then they are ISO flares

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I sold Parker fittings for 38 years and there are more styles than you can imagine. I think of SAE flares as 45 degree flares, like an AN fitting. SAE INVERTED flares are the double flares. It's just semantics but it matters that you apply the correct one for the correct application.

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

All brake fittings here are mandatory DOT approved (45 degree double flare), no AN (37 degree single flare) is permitted for registration (Licensing). There is a business down here that produces straight through S/S DOT legal bulkhead fitting to suit 3/16" tubing with 45 degree male ends either side. All you need to do is use S/S tube nuts and double flare your tube, job done. I bought some of these for my 46 Olds firewall as I'm using an under-dash brake pedal assembly. From memory DOT (45 degree) S/S banjo fittings are also available for 3/16" tubing. All are very well machined. Alex BENINCA is the man behind the business (30yrs) and has built a few cars over time.

upload_2019-3-21_16-56-13.png

I also bought this double inverted flare bulkhead fitting from BrakeQuip for my 1/4" line and a bulkhead nut. An adapter with female (3/8-24 inverted flare) to Male (7/16-24 inverted flare) will allow you to adapt 3/16″ brake line to the 1/4" bulkhead fitting. Copper seat seals (Flare gaskets) are available and provide better sealing between S/S tubing and S/S ports.

upload_2019-3-21_16-57-21.png
    upload_2019-3-21_17-19-16.png

rockable likes this.
  11. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

If I read this right, the Australian bulkhead fitting is a conventional 45 degree flare (as opposed to inverse) and uses a double flared tube. Seems unusual.

I imagine the reason the maker went with the conventional 45 degree flare is that it's a heck of a lot easier to make such a fitting than an inverse flare fitting.

Did he then go through whatever process is required to get it approved, so (only) this particular fitting has approval in Australia on brake systems?

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

^^ Correct for 3/16" tube, everything is DOT approved being 45 degree flare and accepted throughout the country. Mandatory safety rules here can be a real PITA if you're building a modified car but that's what we need to do if we want to enjoy driving them. I'm only using 1/4" tube for my rear lines that go to a 'T' before splitting into 3/16" tube for each wheel, hence the larger bulkhead fitting so I can use the necessary MC for my OT modifications.

mad mikey likes this.