Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel Injection for Pontiac V8s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stanislao, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Are the any Hilborn-style fuel injection systems currently in production for Pontiac V8s? If so, what how reliable are they, and how much do they cost?

2. Deuces

Deuces

Hope you gotz some deep pockets...

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My friend Larry bought a new stack type set of injectors from Kinsler for his 400 Pontiac. They were very nicely made and worked well running 208 mph in my Vega. But they were very expensive and I wished he had allowed me to alter a late Hilborn SBC manifold to fit the Pontiac. Especially had we started with a three piece set it would have been easy and not hard to cut up the one piece casting. So that's what I think you should do.

4. 55chieftain

55chieftain

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you doing 64 and older or 65 and up? And, whatcha' puttin it in????

Good luck, -Abone.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Here is a Hilborn Early Pontiac injector. Now a Packard injector

Attached Files:

7. I have absolutely nothing at the moment. Nothing more then a socket set for tools. I am interested in injection systems for two reasons. One, the flat-spots in the Dell’Orto side droughts on my uncle’ Lotus feel very weird, fuel injection is supposed to avoid these. Two, almost every single hotrod in the Black Hills has a tri-power setup or some combination of quads.

8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

How about SU carbs? They'll meet both criteria.

9. Variable volume venturi, interesting. If I put one over each pair of intake ports using a custom manifold would I have enough fuel/air flow for a 389 or 400?

Doing so would entail making my own manifold or selling my liver to a billet shop. Are the Ufab manifold kits still available? My first idea of making a manifold, using Makerbot type rapid prototyping machines, would not work as a manifold is two big to fit in the machines, and the plastics used probably would not survive the heat of an engine bay.

10. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'm told HS6s can be modified to flow 300cfm apiece, so presumably 8s are good for almost twice that.

11. If I am running four carbs I think I only need 175 cfm.
    400c.i. / 2 = 200 c.i.
    200c.i. x 6,000rpm = 1,200,000 cubic inches per minute
    1,200,000 / 1728 = 694 4/11 cubic feet per minute
    Round to 694 cfm
    694 / 4 = 173.5 cfm per carburetor.

Did I screw up my math?

12. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

You just have to factor in volumetric efficiency. It's likely to be around 85%, so the engine is unlikely to pump more than about 600cfm. Two HS6s will do you.

Also, keep in mind that simply adding up flow only works on plenum-type manifolds. If you have one carb feeding two cylinders on a separate manifold you'll need that carb to flow more than a quarter of the total. (Don't know if I described that clearly ...)

13. Normbc9

Normbc9

Contact the SoCal Speed Shop in Los Angeles. They are a Hilborn dealer and they have all sorts of used items too.
    Normbc9

14. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

It's not nearly as cool looking as a Hilborn or Kinsler, but you can buy a Pontiac intake manifold from Edelbrock set up for fuel injection. You add a single four barrel throttle body and a controller (build your own using Megasquirt) and you're ready to go.

15. Jrick212

Jrick212

If you are still looking I have a pontiac setup with magneto that I might be willing to part with for the right price.

16. At the moment I am in no position to buy anything. I am simply gathering information.

17. 1lms

1lms
    from California

Interested in your setup. Pics and price please.

18. Ghost303

Ghost303

Bump - anyone got a mid 70s Kinsler or Hillborn mechanical fuel injection system for Pontiac RA IV heads?

19. Todd553

Todd553

Alky Diggers has them on their site. Also an old Algon set up for 55-60 heads on ebay.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Ghost303

Ghost303

I see the 4 cylinder injector, but that's not for a RA IV type head - is there something I'm missing? Thanks

21. If you want something really unique, Pontiac actually made a factory setup in 1957 like the Corvette. Yes, they did, I've seen one back in the day. Probably only in a museum today.

LAROKE likes this.
  22. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

All 630 1957 Bonneville converts came w FI. It was an option in 58 also. Don't think many were sold. Performance wasn't as good as tri-power. I wouldn't pursue that path, just my opinion.

23. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

When I was in high school, I worked as a gopher at O'Meara (subsequently "Ocean") Pontiac in Beverly, Massachusetts. Heard via the Dealer grapervine GM had a number of unsold 1957 Bonneville convertibles stashed in a warehouse in New Hampshire or Maine and was reluctant to sell them because of the Fuel Injection System which was similar to, but not identical to the Chevrolet set-up. Just like with Oldsmobile J2 triple carbs, the usual fix was to remove the Pontiac FI and replace with a fuel barrel manifold and carb. Probably be far less problematic today with our access to info and expert advice.

24. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Woops! " ... replace with a four (4) barrel manifold and carb." Sorry, my bad.