Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "Anchorage Dragway" Information Request

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robert Larson, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Robert Larson

Robert Larson

Hello everyone, my name is Robert Larson, looking for assistance and information regarding ANCHORAGE DRAGWAY located at Anchorage, Alaska that originally opened as the first major dragway in Alaska on July 3, 1965. I am seeking information and pictures regarding when it closed, why it closed, interesting stories about the track, especially people who raced there, and other interesting facts and stories. Looking for old posters, advertising, or memorabilia of ANY 1960's Drag Racing events in Alaska including Polar Raceway, Tannacross Drags, and Anchorage Dragways. Thank You for looking- Robert (218) 251-6928 cell

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

DragStripList.Com. It is still an active airport for residents living around the airport. I'm Alaska born myself, Elmendorf AFB, Anchorage, Alaska, 1951; yeah, I'm getting old. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Oilguy and loudbang like this.
  3. Robert Larson

Robert Larson

Thank You Butch, for the information on DragStripList.com- Great site for looking up current and past drag racing track history in every state. However, their historical information is very limited on the Anchorage Dragway- about all we know is the Grand Opening date of July 3rd 1965 and other info on their July 3rd 1965 advertisement in the Anchorage Daily Times.

Attached Files:

4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I was in the Army stationed at Ft Richardson just outside Anchorage from August 1969 to March of 1971 and I don't believe it was in operation then

5. belair

belair

Lived there from 62-67. Went to Auora elementary on base. My dad knew a guy named Doyle Ethridge who probably raced there. Great place to live.

6. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

That drag strip was only in use for a couple of years. It is out in the Ocean View subdivision area. It became a private airstrip for that community & from what I know is still there in use today. It closed down after Polar Raceway opened out in the Palmer area around the same time & became more popular.

loudbang likes this.
  7. That air strip is still in use by private pilots on that strip in Ocean View subdivision . I have lived in South Anchorage since 1980 and this airstrip was in use since the 60's
    Vic

8. Actually I looked at the map again. That is the now OMalley airstrip. Had my plane there in 1978. It is still a active small air strip.
    Vic

9. Robert Larson

Robert Larson

Thank You for your recent and upcoming responses. Here is a May 28th, 1961 Tannacross Drag Races advertisement for a race close to Fairbanks, Alaska. ANYONE with information regarding Tannacross, Anchorage Dragway, Polar Drags, or any other Alaska Drag races during the 1960's please tell us your story or historical information. Thank You for looking- Robert

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  10. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

These were taken at Tannacross bout 1963.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      152.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3 (2).JPG
      3 (2).JPG
      File size:
      138.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3 (1).JPG
      3 (1).JPG
      File size:
      114.8 KB
      Views:
    loudbang likes this.
  11. Robert Larson

Robert Larson

Nice pictures and Thank You to "akoutlaw" from Eagle River, Alaska for posting Tannacross vintage photos. Great history. Here is a photo of a 1961 Tannacross race advertisement poster posted as a full image- RIMG5047.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  12. Robert Larson

Robert Larson

Here is the Anchorage Dragway opening week July 3rd, 4th, 5th, 1965 advertisement in the July 3rd 1965 Alaska Anchorage Daily Times - shown as a Full Pic- Anchorage Dragway.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

As a kid in the 60's, I remember seeing photos in Hot Rod magazine of the track, it still had snow on the side of the strip, that's some dedicated racing!

14. Robert Larson

Robert Larson

Here is a Polar Dragway July 2nd 1965 advertisement from the Anchorage Daily Times. Interesting to see the intense competition between Polar Dragway and Anchorage Dragway. Polar Dragway gave money to racers for showing up while both dragways had competing races on July 4th weekend. It did not last long for Anchorage Dragway because they closed a few years later. I heard people complained about cars driving through residential neighborhoods to get to the dragway. It would be nice to know the last race day date when Anchorage Dragway closed and any other interesting advertisements, race results and memorabilia of both dragways. Robert 218-251-6928 cell 12376637_993399370739717_3603602506826763471_n (1).jpg Robert 218-251-6928 cell

loudbang likes this.