Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 50's Ford Fender Surgery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sparky232, Mar 18, 2019.

1. sparky232

sparky232

Anyone have any insight as to differences in early/mid 50s Ford car fenders? I have a 53 Mainline and getting a fender doesn't seem to be happening less than $600. Seems to me the only difference is the front so I'm thinking I can get a different year and cut and weld. The front of mine luckily is in good shape, its moreso the wheel well and back thats all boogered up.

2. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

52 and 53 are the same except around the grill area. 54 should work also if you are using just the rear area.

Squablow likes this.
  3. The '54 fender is different, I bought a NOS '53 and found out the expensive way, fortunately I was able to recoup most of my money. HRP

4. 6sally6

6sally6

Really?!....How different?!
    6sally6

5. The forward grille area on the 54 fender is different and the '54 fender has a slight peek the others don't have. HRP

6. sparky232

sparky232

Ideally what I would like to do is use entire fender but cut and weld the front grill area. Provided I find a suitable donor that doesn’t cost a mint. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. sparky232

sparky232

What do you mean about a slight peek?

8. From the head light back on top of the fender, it will work but body work will be needed to match your '53 Ford. HRP

sparky232 likes this.
  9. 54vicky

54vicky

actually the crease is on the side of fender it is on the bezel and runs for a short distance back toward the rear. it fades out and the shape of fender resembles the 52-53 the attaching to the inner fender will differ from 52-53 I think because of the flathead vs y block.the canadian 54 may differ on that point as well as we retained the flathead in 54

10. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Did you try the H.A.M.B. Classified "Wanted" Section? Or the Ford Barn? Seems like you could do way better than $600.00 for a used fender. Of course I'm stuck in a 40 year old time warp with respect to prices. But still ...

11. sparky232

sparky232

Yeah I’ve been looking for a few years and the only decent 53s have been in the $600 range. Guess that explains why previous owner filled it with bondo. Thanks for the heads up, I’m going to post in wanted section and check the barn

12. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Check this out in the H.A.M.B. "Cars for Sale" Classifieds - '53 Ford V-8 with Overdrive
    It would provide the fender you need plus lots more parts including a very rare power steering option. You could sell what you don't need and wind up with a free fender.

13. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

BTW, ad says it's from Nuevo Mexico so the fender should be rust free!

sparky232 likes this.
  14. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

how bad is your fender? could it be repaired cheaper than 600?

15. sparky232

sparky232

It’s pretty rough. That side must have taken a good hit at some point and someone attempted to unmangle the fender and fill it with a gallon of mud.

16. sparky232

sparky232

[​IMG]
    Only pic I have at the moment. It doesn’t look too bad here but on the inside there’s a lot of waviness and creases

17. Only seeing that little shot of your damage I can tell you I would just fix it. Now you gotta understand 70 was not my last B-Day and I've been at it for most of my life. Metal work is a skill for sure but if I can learn it so can you. Some times a novice metal man works way to hard to save a section instead just hand building a new one. I have built many a round as well as squared off wheel opening and metal finished then into a quarter or fender. That fender would need to be in bad shape in more places than what we see before I would even up bolt it from the car. That's a fix in place for me.

sparky232 likes this.
  18. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

IMG_1308.PNG Looks like a fixer to me, been bending tin over 60 years.
    Get the little book the Key to Metal Bumping . Amazon has it so does Jegs and they are on evil bay. They are put out Martin Tool and Forge. They also make great hammers. I have given a copy to all my helpers-trainees.
    I have used Fairmont and Martin hammers and dollies all my life. Frank

Atwater Mike and sparky232 like this.
  19. sparky232

sparky232

Yeah that’s not the only bad spot, it’s just the only one where mud popped out. I’ll get some better pics over the weekend.
    I definitely don’t feel it’s unfixable, but it’s a bit outside of my capabilities. I was looking at a different year donor and some welding as an easier route because it’s a little more in my wheelhouse

20. Post up a few more photos of the complete fender and maybe 1-SHOT and I can encourage you to expand your cut-n-weld talents into saving you some $$$ while discovering a hidden talent.
    The lip on the opening is the least to worry about unless you want a concourse restoration job. That can happen too but maybe not the first time out the gate.
    Check this out. The black line is a piece of 1/2" x 1" rectangle tube that will be the new opening. Note the horizontal line below the tube and above the blue tape. I'm going to move the horizontal line up and above the wheel opening, and it's not that tough.
    Body work 009.jpg Body work 012.jpg Holy Smokes!!.jpg Just welded solid 004.jpg Not bad; 001.jpg With this same basic treatment you can save the wheel opening on your fender. You can do this if you like with a little help. May take a little more bump and grind with a skiff of filler but a bucket full. Shaping the tube is quite easy. What do ya think?

21. patsurf

patsurf

you working on a rambler?

22. Wellll,,,,,, let's just say it's off Topic on this sight but I can still use photos to explain How to do things. That said I must confess it's the Rambler from Hell.

23. patsurf

patsurf

well,it's got the devil to fix it-perfect match-up...it doesn't stand a chance! nice!

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Exactly. I've been nudging metal awhile myself, but got the book and learned volumes.
    My wife got into it also, it's very distinct.
    My '54 Ford coupe had front fenders that were rusty in the water traps, luckily my bud Dennis Moomjean had a '54 Customline he gave me for $100. Perfect front 'clip', and many boxes of parts before I junked the bare body.
    Parts car is the answer.

sparky232 likes this.
  25. That project has been in paint and doing Time for a few years now. I just keep some Fab photos around to post up when I think they may help with some visual aids.

26. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I have a pair of 53 Ford front fenders in my garage. They do have the slight peak along the top of the fender. The peak starts at the headlight and runs the top of the fender. Now you may ask why a guy with a 52 Chevy has a pair of Ford fenders in his garage. I picked them up when I was a little more ambitious. I always admired the way Bob Klessig had flaired front fenders on his Hard Top turned Convertible. I asked Bob what he used and he told me they were 53 Ford fender flairs. So, I picked up a pair and never used them. Are they what you're needing?

sparky232 likes this.
  27. belair

belair

Love that AMX

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  28. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Nice work Pist-N-Broke, that looks like a AMX

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  29. Yes it is 1-SHOT. It's way off topic for here so I only post up construction shots when I think they may help explain things and help out.

30. Wasn’t somebody making the 54 Ford fender opening?? I swear I saw that...look bitchin on Merc’s

Pist-n-Broke likes this.