Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wire loom Do you use it or not ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Another question for you guys, what’s your preference regarding wiring covering.
    What I’m thinking about specifically is the split loom stuff that looks like cloth.

It looks clean I think anyway.
    Any thoughts?
    https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/70970
    That’s one source, there are others.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    4rod likes this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Can’t say that I’ve used it. I like using the old style asphalt looming. It’s tough and seems to stand up to use.

Use some fat heat shrink to seal the ends and any where I sneak a branch of wiring out of the bundle.

I want to say I saw it in Vern Tardels newer model A book as well. I’ll see if I can find time tomorrow to snap a photo for anyone interested.

I’ve never really liked anything split, always seemed to open up or twist funny.

Hopefully this will bump the thread back to the top and get some feedback from people who have actually used the product your asking about lol

olscrounger and Blue One like this.
  3. theboss20

theboss20

Works well if: you use the correct size...if you use the tool made for inserting the wires...and if you black tape the beginning and end and use loom hangers with quality wire ties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

loudbang likes this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just changed the title of the thread, maybe get things going a little.
    Do you use any sort of wire loom at all and if so, what is it ?
    If not then why ?
    Show some examples and tell us why you do what you do.
    I have a buddy who just bundles the wires neatly with tie wraps and secures them to wherever they need to go with no loom of any kind and he does some nice builds and never seems to have any wiring related issues.

Lets see and hear what you have done or are doing.

5. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

So here is some insight for you,
    My day job is telecommunications and I use this stuff to dress cabling for clients pc cables etc. A long time ago I started using it to dress my wire harnesses and hoses in my engine bays for my rods. I buy this stuff at 150 feet at a time for work, I then take what’s left after a job and sell it at local car shows. People love this stuff , I sell 25 feet for 20.00 , which is way cheaper than if you bought it at a big box auto parts store, I think they sell it for like 20 ft for 40.00. Also I find the stuff I get is heavier gauge , when you cut it it doesn’t fray to hell like the summit etc stuff.
    I guess the moral is yeah I think it looks really clean too, if your going to buy some be picky get the good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  6. badvolvo

badvolvo

Used that stuff on my 40, I like it better than anything else I have seen. I bought it as the summit brand, didn't have any fraying issues at all.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

8. squirrel

squirrel

How about a few pics of the engine bay/car that it will go in? then I could get an idea whether or not it would look right, or look out of place. For example, in the pic in the post above this, that type of loom would look appropriate. But for other cars, not so much.

Tim likes this.
  9. theboss20

theboss20

Split loom and many other types of loom is now made in High Temp. quality level plus Super High Temp. for the starter wires that run close to headers and other extreme hot spots. Check out Del City Wire for some good options.

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use it in some locations and seal/finish the ends with self vulcanizing tape. I also use alot of the tar/cloth type loom depending on application. Both work well if used properly. Doing a 39 woody now and it will have some of each plus the loom with the cloth covering and colored tracer depending where it is on the car. We used it on a few Drag cars to tidy things up as well.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The build is my 26 RPU.
    7308ED6E-C9EA-435C-868E-5882D272B464.jpeg B76356D1-E90A-4984-924F-0CB50A00142A.jpeg 4A8F2B1C-647F-40B9-8ADF-C3643BD005FC.jpeg AE94B385-B0FB-4FE9-B2FE-3207D783608E.jpeg

olscrounger likes this.
  12. e015475

e015475
    from Phoenix
    1. A-D Truckers

The cloth-look split wire loom from Aircraftspruce.com is tits.
    You can buy it by the foot - it is reasonably priced. I used to de-pin harnesses to loom them with the non-split loom, but this stuff looks so good I'm just going to use their split-loom.
    Use their silicon tape at the junctions - much better than electrical tape or harness tape

loudbang likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

For that car, as period as the rest of it looks, I'd use either the old style tar woven loom, friction tape, or lacing twine.

If it were more of a modern street rod, then the cloth split loom would look ok.

But I'm kind of picky about stupid stuff like that.

olscrounger and adam401 like this.
  14. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Squirrel, I’ll get you some pick when I’m back in town.
    I agree with you if your wanting more of a original type of look then this stuff may not be the best
    My cars are restonods for the most part
    I have it all over my 39 Pontiac IMG_1491.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  15. robracer1

robracer1

I got some of the loom from summit it's like around $45 for 20'. Dasheot is a friend he showed what he has and I liked it a little better the the Summit loom and for $20 it's a better buy he also has 3 sizes, I have used it on engine wiring heater hoses and fuel lines. It just makes everything cleaner, for instance on my 32 roadster highboy I used this loom on my headlights and one fog light wiring and it just disappears.
    I would take pictures but the car is 60 miles away at Adams hot rod shop having a top made

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Photos of photos sorry. Here’s some red striped woven I’ve seen used though I use the asphalt stuff 07D65717-A97F-46C5-91EF-E0188E786AD0.jpeg this is how I do the wires that split from the larger bundle with heat shrink. I haven’t ever had any luck with tapes 20651F62-EFBC-4070-8B06-AE0D9A641BA7.jpeg here is the woven tube next to the black asphalt I prefer. The red stripe shows how I do the ends of it with some heat shrink. The asphalt doesn’t seem to actively fray after the initial cut for length but it will move a little and it doesn’t look as clean. So I heat shrink them
    For looks as well as keeping them from sliding down the wires.
    F31C02F7-EF06-4BBC-A3BE-F2CDED88D947.jpeg This is the book I took photos from in case anyone was curious, and I guess to give credit because it’s not my work 4ECFAF52-F8FE-4F4A-B2DE-E79B01353782.jpeg

olscrounger and adam401 like this.
  17. theboss20

theboss20

delcity.net for best choices and prices...look at loom choices and also high temp choices...also have asphalt loom, fiberglass loom, split loom, and Packard 56 connectors.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm going to try a little of the cloth look split loom and see if I like the looks of it.
    Thanks for the ideas guys, keep them coming it's nice to see and hear what other guys are doing.
    I don't care for the asphalt type because it isn't split although I do agree it's better in the period looks department.

19. I cheated on Brenda's wagon and used the plastic split wire loom but on your car Larry I would use the older cloth type or the twine woven style. HRP

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Any pro’s to it being split? Other than you can put it on after the car is wired?

21. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Blue I used the Painless vintage loom throughout my build and it's really nice stuff. It folds over itself so actually holds the wires in place quite nicely and you can sneak a single wire out where you need to split it off and the rest stay tucked in neatly. A little pricey for us Canucks but i still think it's worth it

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, I picked up some of that stuff here locally today in 3 sizes so I'm gonna have at it.
    Larry.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m thinking that if you ever want to access the wires in the future it would probably help.

24. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As stated I use the tar type and the cloth covered one with the tracer li MVC-034S.JPG MVC-033S.JPG MVC-032S.JPG MVC-038S.JPG MVC-035S.JPG ke shown above-doing this 39 woody now. The wire in the old style goes under the car to the rear.

teach'm and Tim like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@olscrounger where did you source the loom with the tracer?

26. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get it from Sac vintage-just order it and they send it even though I'm only 15 miles away. Just ordered a bunch for this woody and used it on the last 40 coupe

Tim likes this.