Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fixing a smashed 31 model A pickup cab.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of folks would have thrown in the towel on this one. Not HAMBERS though! It's going to be cool that's all any of us need to know.

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I look at it every day, wish I could get my head around the idea that it is just a body with four doors that I want to see in finish primer. Then I'll see a wiring thread on the HAMB, and visions of the fire, and I'll move on to something else.

kiwijeff, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  3. Charlie says 6" is too much, maybe 5 1/2"?

kiwijeff, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  4. it is funny, when he told me a tree fell on it and he asked if it could be fixed, I was picturing a dark brown, deep pitted, screen after blasting, rot bomb. when I saw it had paint, I said, no problem.'
    30 years ago this would have been scrap........

5. Charlie worked on the cab today, he stripped off a Bunch of stuff and temporarily removed the doors. my dad stopped by to give him a hand. they removed the rotten floor, cowl band, seat riser etc....
    the doors will go back on when we start straightening. the rear crossmember will need to be changed but only after we do a pre pull to get the old one straight. IMG_4617.JPG IMG_4630.JPG IMG_4631.JPG IMG_4632.JPG IMG_4633.JPG IMG_4635.JPG IMG_4634.JPG

6. here is a rare photo of the "slacker". IMG_4616.JPG

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Be sure to save that all steel cowl band and the metal strip at the back of the roof, unique pick up pieces. Bob

tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  8. What you have left looks pretty solid.

9. the cowl band had a rotten spot on one side but I think Charlie was planning on reusing it and the roof trim.
    he worked almost all day on it.......he has a lot of energy for an 84 year old.
    Bob, do you have any of the missing roof stuff?

kiwijeff, Runnin shine, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  10. IMG_4629.JPG
    Tom, It could be worse. we kept saying: "the more that comes off the better it looks".

11. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

At least no one "fixed " it before you got ahold of it. That will be a lot of work but it is savable.

loudbang likes this.
  12. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

The comet wagon looks like an interesting project in the background.

King ford and loudbang like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ted, If I had any parts for the cab I would have been up for a visit. Is that the wagon you painted for Brian in the back ground? Trunk opens April 7th!:)

Bob

loudbang likes this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just wondering: If you cut some hardwood filler pieces to fit between the rear window frame and outer panel, put shipping blankets on the floor under that red I beam, and placed the cab on them on its back. Place a piece of steel plate over the window opening and press the dents out with a 4x4 and piston jack? If the barn moves, stop.

Bob

15. the comet is the one I painted for Brian, a few years back. he has been trying to make some time to paint the interior since. finally called and asked if I would do it.

16. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

It looks like an awesome project.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the dreaded ball peen hammer. worked with a guy for a while who was talking about replacing a bent fender for an AD truck. I looked at it and it was an easy fix with no bad creases and I told him I would bring my hammers down and fix it. between that time and the time I got back he decided to "help" me get started. he ended up replacing it.

oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  18. the slacker showed up again today and got all the hinge pins fixed. some had to be replaced. he also removed the temporary roof bracing, the ignition junction box and put the doors back on. we set up the jack and pushed the posts apart while heating at the bend point. it pushed out easily. door fits better but we need to push the post forward but can't do that till we get the subframe bolted down. IMG_4643.JPG IMG_4644.JPG IMG_4645.JPG IMG_4646.JPG

19. the truck had been repainted a metallic green, a lot like the color of my coupe, and it looked as tho they painted over some lettering. I spent 2.5 hrs with a piece of 400 grit wet sand paper, gently removing the top layers, then buffed it. IMG_4618.JPG IMG_4619.JPG IMG_4649.JPG IMG_4650.JPG IMG_4651.JPG

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ted, I've got door tops if yours are bent too bad to fix.

Bob DSCF9681.JPG DSCF9683.JPG

21. Stogy, Hombre and loudbang like this.
  22. Nice job on cleaning up the door lettering!

kiwijeff, nunattax, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  23. thanks, I have a customer who is building an Auburn cabriolet, who is also an "overhead garage door" dealer/installer. he was dropping a fender off and we could slightly make out that the "garage doors" under the paint. he said "overhead door" company started in 1921 in Michigan. this could have been a dealer for them if the truck was new when lettered. he said other companies came later. funny how the doors didn't match.
    I revealed this after Charlie left so I am not sure he will want to keep the lettering.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I need to replace the bottom panels on both of my garage doors, life span is just about 40 years. Bob

kiwijeff, tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  25. Awesome...
    watching with great anticipation.

nunattax, tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  26. I checked it out yesterday! Tater said, I wish I got this much attention. :( IMG_4533.JPG
    Good job on the doors!:cool: IMG_4530.JPG
    She could use some work!:eek: Maybe Charlie can help her!:rolleyes:
    IMG_4536.JPG

27. Charlie was at it again, he installed the new body blocks and bolted the body down. he removed the wood above the body line in the back of the cab. we jacked up on the corner of the cab and worked the metal in the sill till it was straight. IMG_4652.JPG

28. then we put another jack on the sill, and made a jacking block that we bolted to the top of the back of the cab. we jacked it up and worked the metal on the post till it was straight. IMG_4653.JPG
    IMG_4654.JPG IMG_4655.JPG

29. with the post now straight, we could work the dents out of the back of the cab. still have a lot of work to iron it out but the cab is almost "square". IMG_4669.JPG
    IMG_4670.JPG IMG_4671.JPG IMG_4672.JPG IMG_4674.JPG IMG_4675.JPG