Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Merc taillights on a 56 Victoria??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dimebag, Mar 18, 2019.

1. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Hey guys my pops has a 56 Victoria and we are trying to make a few custom subtle touches. I have seen pics of 55-56 Merc taillights and was wondering if they are in a bolt in item?? Any help or good advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. '55-'56 Merc station wagon taillights bolt on but not regular passenger car taillights.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yep....but good luck finding a set..........unless there are repro's available.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. What sidevalve said. Be aware the merc wagon lights have a hefty price tag. Lee lenses makes some cool bolt on alternatives for less money.

lothiandon1940 and hans mercman like this.

5. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

Saw an immaculate set in the HAMB classifieds, for $2K :eek:

6. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Ok that makes sense, but are the wagon taillight housings impossible to find or just stupid expensive??? I looked at Lee Lenses and they are cool...just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. The wagon taillights are rare, very rare!

8. .............BOTH!!!:)

9. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

10. I saw a well used set at a swap meet for about $1000 and they needed replating.

11. There was a set on ebay a while back in really really rough shape for $400

12. The Mercury wagons were actually fairly popular, with about 56K built '55-56. But not many have survived...

13. Another idea is 60 Dodge Dart tail lights, not sure how much work is needed to fit, but i think the metal piece above the lens is off a 55/56 t bird

[​IMG]

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe someone is making them out of non-metal. That's fine for the chromeless customizer but not me. I do like them but for me where I keeping the entire look of my 56 Vic stock (no nosing, decking, handle removal, etc) they would just look wrong. With a grille change I could go with them.
    The Dodge Darts look great and I would use them. On the above 55 the tops are stock 55's with no backup lights/lenses.

egads likes this.
  15. egads

egads

16. The trim piece is the standard trim on all '55 Fords that year unless the back-up lights option was checked, and that bit looked pretty much the same, just with a glass lens. Carried over unchanged onto the '56 Mainline and Customline cars. You'll find these in painted (rare), chrome, and stainless steel versions (shown). I've only seen the back-up light option in chrome.

Only the '56 Fairlanes and T-birds got the fancier die-cast trim.

17. Good to know, I thought the 55 units were one piece with that upper trim, but I rarely 55/56 Fords around here so dont get very many chances to look at one.

18. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Pretty sure the 60 Dodge unit is a bolt-in. A friend had a 56 with them and a 58 T-Bird front bumper/grill. Never been a fan of changing parts just for the sake of change, but they do look good.

19. BJR

BJR

Back in the late 60's I put a set of 60 Dodge lights on the back of my 56 T Bird. They bolt right on.