Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Chattanooga cruise in at Coker Tire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Mar 18, 2019.

1. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Too many surrounding businesses were complaining about the crowds hurting their flow of doing business.

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That area of town is quickly moving upscale with a lot of new buildings and the older ones being remodeled and turned into apartments and condominiums. I deliver to the roofing company on the corner, he’s been just about surrounded by new stuff. Corky sold a building adjoining the roofing place that Coker had been using as a warehouse, now it’s some kind of ritzy wedding hall or something. They keep pushing south, it’s only a matter of time before they get the roofing place and maybe even Corky’s garage. I wouldn’t doubt them trying to get the tire plant, either. They have already built condos right beside it. All these young yuppies want to live downtown and close to the river.

tractorguy likes this.
  3. I'm planning to go Don, hopefully the weather will be good. If so, I'm thinking the crowd will be huge.
    Looks like I'll be drivin my A pickup & not Tony's Olds. That thing is driving me crazy with overheating issues...quickly NOT becoming a fan of the 455 Olds engine!!!

4. Maybe you are drivin' too slow for it to cool off! :p

5. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Don, and anybody else . we are meeting in Gurley Al at 6:30 to caravan up to the cruise in. Meeting at Burger King. Leaving a 7:00. More that welcome to come along.

6. Can I drive my OT Ford pickup so that I can haul back some swap meet parts?

7. Bikelessbill

Bikelessbill

I have not been to this show. Do they have a swap meet?

8. I saw on the flyer that there will be one. Don't know how big it might be though.

9. tim troutman

tim troutman

planning on being there. driving down tomorrow & going to the aquarium. looking forward to putting the top down

10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've not gone to the Chattanooga Cruise-In when it was downtown at Coker's because of the crowds and traffic. Moving it to Camp Jordan Park was, IMHO, a good idea. I got there early, around 8:30, and went in off of Frawley Ave. It's a 2 lane residential street but not as crowded as Camp Jordan Parkway that takes you past Bass Pro Shop. I know there were several folks who arrived later who had significant waits to get in and park but if the folks who set this event up can come up with a workable solution to the traffic problem, I believe this show will be a winner. Several clubs were parked together but the overall show was a good mix of HAMB traditional, Street Rod, the dreaded Rat Rod, Muscle Cars, restored stockers, a few motorcycles and a few truly off the wall creations. The swap meet section wasn't huge but there was a diversity of car related items for sale. It wasn't all show chrome Chevy stuff like you see at some shows where all the vendors are selling the same things. I probably missed a really good chance to buy a working large face no name tach for $25 and missed some bumper guards with the correct bolts for my 46 Merc because I was struck with a sudden case of rectocranial inversion. I missed seeing @Hombre, @enloe and meeting @56don and for that, I am truly sorry. I've had the pleasure of meeting Roland but it would have been nice to put a face to Don. My 21 year old grandson and I both found things that interested us individually as well as many others that we liked in common. That, more than anything else, defines the qualities of a good show. Hope to see some of you there next year.

Alan Purvis

enloe likes this.
  11. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I am glad you and your grandson had a great day. Our day started badly the wagon had problems. I believe it is carb problems I will get it straightened out. We ended up taking the daily driver and we got hung up in traffic. We ended up parking at Bass Pro and walking.
    I posted quite a few pictures on the thread that is linked in my signature. Check them out.

31hotrodguy and alanp561 like this.
  12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry you got there late. I pulled up a Google satellite image of Camp Jordan and counted over 1000 paved parking spaces before my eyes crossed. When I got there at 8:30, I parked waaaaay up on northeast corner by the softball fields and that area filled up while we were just getting started. Everything around the 4000 seat arena was already full and the staff was starting to park cars on the grass. We left at noon and I would estimate that there were easily 2000 cars there in the show and I don't have any way of guessing at the number of folks who came out as spectators.

enloe likes this.