Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1936 Plymouth with SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aussie56, Mar 18, 2019.

1. aussie56

aussie56
    from Australia

Hi All,

Got a couple of questions with those out there with SBC’s in a 1936 Plymouth coupe.

Does the engine fit without having to modify the firewall?

Is there still enough room to run a standard mechanical fan and the stock radiator?

And for those who put a TH350 in did you have to modify the trans tunnel at all?

Thanks in advance and if you can share photos of V8’s in the 36 that would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

I have two '38 Plymouth coupes, one has a slant six, I used electric fan from Summit racing fits perfect in front of Rad SUM-G4860 16" 225watt. and made a new firewall.
    The other has a big block mopar, same fan and made a new firewall.

3. Stooge

Stooge

the '37 Plymouth coupe in my shop has a 350 in it. mechanical fan and stock'ish radiator, but with a recessed firewall and an actual mustang front clip. I thought I had some better pictures of it before it was pulled apart but this is the best I could find of the engine location. Fairly tight, theres no engine in there now to measure anything against though, and the second picture shows the amount of recess in the firewall a bit better.

IMG_20140927_083313_468.jpg

20150310_163600.jpg

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

A friend bought a 37 Dodge coupe with a Chev engine in it years ago. As I recall it fit good without hitting anything. At worst you might need a mini starter. And the appropriate exhaust manifold for the left side (steering clearance). The engine had stock Chev manifolds.

He wanted to put in a Dodge 340 and I was surprised to find it did not fit as well as the Chev. In fact I think it was the Dodge that needed the mini starter.

It did not have a modified firewall. I don't recall what kind of fan it had which suggests it was stock Chev.

5. aussie56

aussie56
    from Australia

Thanks guys.

Might have to wait buying headers until the engine is it place to see the steering clearance. Right hand side for me :)

6. derbydad276

derbydad276

what.... you wanna put a Holden engine in it when you can Probably get your meat hooks on an magnificent Hemi Head Slant 6 from what I hear they are all over down under

aussie56 and classiccarjack like this.