Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F1 pitman arm hitting wishbone

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Congested, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Congested

Congested

Can someone please give me the parts recipe?

I have a F1 box, I bent this pitman arm to clear the wishbone, and it looks like it’s too close.

I saw this green car yesterday, and this set up BE80A8BA-E98B-428B-AE68-3B26ED243424.jpeg FC31F0B4-50FD-4CB2-8765-51BFD37332C1.jpeg looks like a better way to go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1930 Ford 5 window body
    1932 frame
    F1 box
    30 something split bones

2. Deescott

Deescott

Bend it more! Not going to hurt anything. I have the same setup with a severely bent pitman arm and it steers great.

3. Deescott

Deescott

If you don’t trust me, look at the Bass/Gasmonkey 33 coupe in Rodders Journal at how they bent the pitman arm. Same thing. B2112E9D-3778-49C9-9B9A-C0E4FF92FD38.jpeg

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Note on the "green car" the wishbone appears to be angled in more and closer to the frame rail than yours is.
    I'm thinking that is something that too many of us do in that we put the mouting point for the rear of the bones on the outside of the frame rail rather than mounting to the inside or further in closer to the original wishbone angle.

F&J likes this.

5. F&J

F&J

I refuse to build a hotrod that cannot turn as tight as original. I've done two 32's and both have the bones tucked way, way under the car,( and on quick glance, the bones almost look unsplit). Then the pitman arm can be straight, and that keeps the drag link tucked in towards the frame, so that the back of the drivers tire won't hit it on hard left turns.

the old half-azz way was to adjust the spindle stops so that the tires won't rub, but some of these cannot even park in a tight spot.

Looking at your 2nd pic of the green car, that drag link is still way out too far for a hard left turn. (with stock settings on spindle stops) IMO

There was a thread on here a few years ago where a first time builder really messed up. He lived in a very compact old neighborhood that had very skinny driveways that were just a few feet long from the small garage, ...then leading onto a skinny one lane street..... and he said he could not steer tight enough to get out for his first road test. o_O

cadillacoffin likes this.
  6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Put it between wishbone and frame

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

Did that on mine too. Fixed it with a replacement pitman arm, welding up the hole and retapered from the other side for the tierod end. IMG_1081.JPG IMG_1082.JPG

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

O.p. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  9. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Don’t be afraid to bend it more. Get it cherry red and it will bend easy. And yes, bones should be in as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. alchemy

alchemy

Lots of good advice here. One more thing, the pitman arm from any Ford passenger car and light pickup from 1932 to 1948 will bolt onto the F1 box, in case you need a different arm to start with.