Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration 1932 Ford radiator cap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Yesterday while we were taking a break while working on the interior of my old beater Dave and I were debating the radiator cap being on backwards on his '32 pickup sitting beside my sedan.

Dave thinks 'Ol Henry meant for the radiator cap to be clocked this way.

[​IMG]

I have always believed this is the correct clocking of the cap.

[​IMG]

In the greater scheme of things it's really trivial but it's the kind of things we all like to question, which way do you like them? HRP

Hamtown Al and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. HRP, if you look at 32 Ford sales brochures and books showing assembly line photos they show the cap with the small fin facing back toward the windshield, like 33 & 34 caps.

Mick

Hamtown Al likes this.
  3. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Dave's way gives less wind resistance, makes the car faster....lol

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Hotrodprimer. Dick Spadaro told me when I was building one of my 32 pickups that PU's did not use the car cap but used a cap that was similar in appearance to a 30/31 A gas cap. I remember his beater pu having such a cap and him telling me how rare they were. Take a look at the pu I have in the for sale section for what the cap looks like.

5. Daves confused pickup has a passenger grille shell and is using a passenger radiator cap, I am familiar with the 32 pickup radiator cap and I even found one in a pile of parts at the Auto fair in Charlotte,N.C.

Dick clued me in on what to look for, I bought a pickup radiator cap for 5 bucks, the guy that had it told me it was a Model A gas cap, I knew better when I flipped it over.

Hard core,it's gotta be correct Deuce guys will pay stupid money for a original pickup radiator cap. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Yea mines actually a 31 gas cap but what the hell it's close enough for my hotord pickup. I've only found 1 32 pu rad cap in my life and it was rough and absurdly over priced. I even tried The Early Ford Store and he didn't have one in his stash so they are really rare.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Fordors

Fordors

Danny, what is diameter of the cap you bought?

8. I'm fairly certain it was 3 1/2 ". HRP

9. Fordors

Fordors

That’s correct for a ‘32 Commercial cap- good find and a great price!

10. Bump for the Monday crowd. HRP

11. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Found a real 32 truck rad cap a yr ago at a swap in Bordeaux France.It was nearly perfect.I always carry a tape measure and yes its 3.5".Says Eaton underneath.Its now on a pickup in KS.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. clem

clem

0826F692-590F-44EB-990E-2D2026C653D9.jpeg

So does that mean that if you have one like this, - the dog, whooops, sorry, greyhound faces the windscreen ?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. louisb

louisb

Now you're just blowing air up a dog's arse. :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. You will have to take that up with the restorer crowd. :D HRP

clem likes this.