Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Glass selection clear or green tint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hyvolt, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Going to get some glass cut for my 41 Tudor tomorrow, and after I had the windshield done in tint, not sure what the results would be with tint all around.

I did the windshield to help my eyes, just don't know if it made that big of difference to my eyes.

You can kinda see the tint in the windshield in this picture

Sent from my LG-LS993 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'm generally not a fan of tinted glass (unless a Gasser) but that doesn't look too bad. In the end it's up to what you like.

3. I have seen cars with the windshield clear and the rest tinted. I would do them all.

4. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I can tell you that my 52 Chevy Hard Top and the 51 Convertible have green tinted glass on the windshield and the side glass is tinted grey. I have to think Ford must have done the same with their upper end cars back then too? A trick to find out is to place a piece of white paper on the inside of the glass and look at it from the outside of the car. You usually can see the tint color that way.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I think you will regret it if you don't have some tint. Compare clear glass to glass in your late model car. All newer cars have some tint, without it, it will be bright.

Frankie47 likes this.
  6. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

If you plan on driving the car on trips a lot, A/C green tint helps the car stay a lot cooler and like you say, much easier on the eyes. I really don't think the tint is very noticeable but that's my opinion.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Thanks for the help fellas, just didn't know the ups and downs of either choice. The gal at the glass shop just took the orders and there wasn't anybody around to ask last time I was there. On a hunch I went with the tint for the windshield.

8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

You will like it. I get headaches very easily, if the sun is too bright. Made the mistake to go kayaking without sunglasses.

9. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I went with green tinted glass on the '58, hoping to help keep interior temps in check. Coincidentally, it looks good with the green paint too... 41334463_1811675065536633_3489863182304935936_n.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

While I got your all's attention, who do you like for window rubber and felt? I want some decent stuff.

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

Tint in moderation is good. That dark stuff is not.

sidevalve8ba and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Tinted flat glass windshield can be overly reflective at night. I usually use clear in front and tint elsewhere.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  13. gene-koning

gene-koning

Any ride I put glass in gets tint all around. On those really bright sunny days you will be happy you got the tint.

Rich B, I've not noticed a reflection in any of my vehicles with flat glass, but any inside painted surface is painted with a semi gloss paint rather then a high gloss. I suspect the reflection you are seeing is the interior gloss painted surfaces. Gene

14. Headlights at night are the reflections I meant, should have mentioned that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I did the green tint. I think it gives off an old school vibe

16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I agree with Goldmountain, light tint is good. Absolutely hate the dark dark tint! Kind of spooky when you can't even see who or what is inside of the hotrod.

deathrowdave likes this.
  17. B.C.drifter

B.C.drifter

Out of curiousity what did you have to give for a 2 piece glass windshield and did you have the originals for templates or did they have to cut/shape to fit the opening?

It’s been years since I’ve bought any hot rod glass and I’m about to have to go down that path again. I feel like I always get the blank zombie stare when I ask for anything that isn’t a line item in the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I paid $60 for both sides of the windshield. I brought in my old glass. Funny story though, I went back last week to get the rest cut out, and now the price quote was $650!!

There is a guy Chris I found on the Hamb. That gave me a way better price shipped, but at last minute I found an retired local guy that needed the work so I got him to do them. He's 3 weeks to her them done though, but I can wait.

19. Justin in PA

Justin in PA

I've done the light green tint on a flat front windshield and I hate it. In direct sunlight it almost turns purple. When I get over the fact that I wasted money on it, I'm going to replace it with clear.

20. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Maybe you got a bad batch of tint? My windshield has been in for a year and never turned purple. Even in sunrise/ sunset I'm good.

21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like the EZI factory stamped tint (easy eye) option on old GM cars,(maybe others?)I have meant to read up on all the details about when it came out etc. etc. but have never took the time to go into details about it.

22. I have about 5% "bronze" tint on the sides and back windows of my coupe. Most people dont even notice. I like the look.
    Chappy 20180417_152442.jpg

23. 52HardTop

52HardTop

That's a damn nice car.

24. Justin in PA

Justin in PA

I'm not sure. It looks fine in normal light but when I drive into the sunlight it gets a terrible color and makes it hard to see. It's in a Model T C cab truck so I don't drive it too much. I'm getting glass cut for my Model A V8 pickup now and it is getting clear.

25. Dirk35

Dirk35

Most people don't realize that the glass is tinted green or the bronze unless you do the white piece of paper to tell. I think all of mine have the green tinted windshields and a light grey tint on the sides and back glass. Not enough to tell they are tinted, just enough to cut the glare.

26. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I do all my cars in light grey tempered tint on the sides and rear and leave the windshield clear safety glass I've been getting my glass from Street Rod Glass in Riverside CA. for years. Fast, reasonable and it's always fit.

27. gene-koning

gene-koning

I prefer the gray tint, but our local guy says he can't get it anymore. I think he just doesn't want to order a piece just for me. Gene