Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What year is this block?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Mar 16, 2019.

1. exterminator

exterminator

I have been trying to find out what year this chevy engine block is.I changed oil and filter and the guy at the counter gave me the wrong filter so when I start the engine- it leaks! I checked to make sure its tight which it is. So where do I go to find out the code for my numbers? I have two set of numbers on the tab on the right side of block. T0329CSA and 48Z141086 . Thanks for any help you can give me. Exterminator

2. Go to Chev Hardcore.....

3. 3quarter32

3quarter32

73/76 400?

exterminator likes this.
  4. sdluck

sdluck

some 1960's had filter adapter to replace the canister style,the took a ford filter

5. indyjps

indyjps

Screenshot_20190316-120805_eBay.jpg
    Oil flter adapter may be damaged. Machined lip in the block that the filter gasket seals to may be damaged. Get under there with a good light and see if theres anything weird going on
    I assume its not user error on the installo_O

The adapter sdluck refers to is new to me, always learning new stuff, never know the history.

loudbang likes this.
  6. @3quarter32 is correct, either a 1973 w/2bbl and automatic or 1976 LT4 400 cu.in. SBC. It will have the oil filter adapter shown by @indyjps so make sure the bolts retaining it to the block are snug, they are only 5/16". By the way, your block was assembled on March 29th at the Tonawanda plant. It is having a birthday in a couple weeks!

exterminator likes this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That filter adapter does not go with block shown in your photo. It would have one of these instead.
    [​IMG]
    Op's block would look like this. Note the large shoulder for filter to seat against.
    [​IMG]

loudbang, Deuces and exterminator like this.
  8. exterminator

exterminator

Thanks guys. I went back to pep boys and told them I needed a oil filter for a 76 400 chevy and it was the right filter. Problem solved! Again thank you!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  9. Fordors

Fordors

I see some different blocks pictured here. @indyjps is showing us a BBC oil filter pad with a screw on filter adapter, but is that an early BBC block that I believe had different machining? I think the later BBC had a pad that looks like the one @Johnny Gee has posted, it has the larger surface for the gasket on a screw on filter. This style pad with the bigger diameter area for the gasket is what the SBC used since the ‘56 265.
    I don’t know a lot about BBC’s but did the early canister filter blocks (pre ‘68) have different machining? Oh, and before DDDenny reminds us, yes, even a 1965 Chevy II V8 block had a screw on filter from the factory, not a canister.
    Johnny also shows the Trans-Dapt screw on adapter that takes a Ford filter, like an FL1.
    @sdluck, only the Trans-Dapt adapter will use a Ford filter which has a smaller diameter thread - it is 3/4-16 as compared to a 13/16-16 on a Chevy filter.
    What we need to know is what filter the OP got at the store, and is it possible he mistakenly left the old rubber gasket on the block? That happened to me on my wife’s old Saturn V6- instant mess upon startup.

10. 54vicky

54vicky

the pic indy posted that person must buy silicone by bucket not tube holy shyt I would pull that pan and remove the excess from inside.and never let that person any closer to an engine than a book with pics idiot

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^^ Well said...well, 'said', anyway.

12. sdluck

sdluck

13. sdluck

sdluck

Always check the old filter number before you go get the new one.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

15. squirrel

squirrel

If you want to figure out what oil filter to get based on the year of the block, they changed from the cartridge to spin on filter around 1968. Your block has a 3 letter suffix code starting with C, so it's 1970 or newer. That's a quick way to rule out the possibility that it's an earlier block that has a spin on adapter installed.

The other way it to just look at where the filter goes on, and perhaps do a bit of research to see what the two block styles look like.