Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Making Hot Rod Art

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by general gow, Jun 3, 2006.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

I am really pleased with the results of the printing of the edition. The Stonehenge paper has a little less 'tooth' than the paper I used to pull the proofs, and the smoother texture allowed for better coverage of the ink. As the ink drys, I'll post a couple pics of the results.

Prints taking over the studio!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the final results, pretty darn good for a 130 year old press, eh?

[​IMG]

These are on the way to the classifieds. So if you like them, head on over there. They are affordable, that's the benefit of making multiples.

2. Model40

Model40
    Member Emeritus
    from MA

Had a chance to look through this whole post this morning. It looks great and having had the advantage of seeing your other work, I'm not surprised. The praise and comments must be encouraging too.

And, in addition, you love doing the work, or should I say play. Whatever, you enjoy it. I must say, I wish I could take some genetic credit for your talent, but I fail to see where it may have come from. Must have been Mom.

Keep up the good work. Oh, maybe a rendering of a certain 34 coupe from the 60s could be in the offing? Even an altered rendering?

3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i've been thinking about doing a version of what that car might have looked like if it was ever completed. leaves a lot open for interpretation...

4. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Couldn't have said it better myself. (huge smile)

5. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

i think i'ma have to pick one of those up. little off topic but where'd you find that press? seems like it'd be small enough for my uses. i got offered a full size press for free recently but i have no room for anything.

6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

ryan,

i got the book press on ebay. they are on there all the time. if you find one locally you could pick it up. shipping would be expensive.

is that full size press available still? i have room and i would be willing to road trip for it too.

7. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

i can try and get in touch with the person. it was sorta through a string of friends. i guess their grandfather had passed and he was a printmaker. i'll check on it though.

8. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Fantastic!!!!!!!!

9. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

ryan- i appreciate anything you can do.

road apple- thanks man!

10. flash

flash

that kicks ass! linocut, woodcut, intaglio printing all have such a great tactile quality.i took an intaglio class when I was in college and man do I miss having access to that. this linocut technique shows a great way to do something at home without much equipment. thanks!

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

thanks tony. yea, i like to work bigger generally, but in my home studio, this is the perfect size.

relief and intaglio produce results that you can't get any other way.

12. Zumo

Zumo

Very nice. We did a few of those in high school. You brought back memories.

13. JonnyRockets

JonnyRockets

Killer work - love the look! May have to try this out sometime!

14. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

jon- you definitely should give it a shot. it's such a fun process. and it's like christmas when you pull the first print and see what you really have. very rewarding.

15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

zumo-thanks for the words.

16. Model40

Model40
    Member Emeritus
    from MA

If a full sized press were available, what would you press? Would it be the same type of process that you used for these prints or does a big press have a different application altogether?

17. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

when i have access to a full size press i tend to make monotypes more than lino cut, but that is just because i take the opportunity to make bigger work when i can. if i had a bigger press of my own, it would just mean that i could make whatever i want whenever i want. i would use it to make the linocut prints too.

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

oh no, it's work alright. fun, yes. but definitely work. gotta concentrate to get everything evenly inked and lined up properly.

i need to get busy on the next one...

19. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

We saw a "starter kit" for this yesterday so i grabbed one. Did this in about 25 minutes tonight just to try it out. Working with a 5x4" piece sucks though. It looks neat, but nothing special. I wanna try some bigger slabs now though.

What are those white chunks that are for this as well? They were alot softer than the linoleum, and claimed to "carve like butter".

Attached Files:

20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

they are called 'soft cut' and they are very easy to carve, but they are too soft to press unless it's by hand. they deform too much under real pressure. so if you press by hand, the image is softer than using a firmer material like lino, which can take the pressure and therefore give you better ink transfer, resulting in much richer blacks, more vibrant reds, etc.

glad you found it and like it. it is 'oldskool' art. traditional just like the 50s bro.. the 1850s. :)

21. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Beautiful work,G/G.....a great post on something I knew nothing about,but can now enjoy with alot more insight thanks to your sharing of information.....
    Thanks again,
    Johnny

22. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

WOW.....this is cool...thanks!

23. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

thanks johnny. you know i have noticed the same thing recently. the more i know about an art making process, even if i havent tried it, i appreciate the art so much more.

again, thanks for the compliments. from you it is high praise.

24. Model40

Model40
    Member Emeritus
    from MA

It seems to me that what you said is the same throughout the hobby. The more that we know about the process the more we appreciate whatever form of art we see on the HAMB. Some is better than others and the difference is the process. Some of it is taste for sure, but if we look closely we can appreciate everyone's honest efforts.

The HAMB is a great place.