Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Keep stock Model A gas tank and add a second?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by modeleh, Mar 15, 2019.

1. modeleh

modeleh

Has anyone used an auxiliary fuel tank as well as the stock tank on a Model A? Was thinking of running an aux tank in the trunk of my coupe. I could do it with two valves and a T but just wondering if a check valve in the line from the trunk mounted tank would allow both tanks to be depleted at the same rate. The concern is not to have fuel from the higher mounted stock tank flowing back into the lower trunk tank and overflowing it.

2. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

A tank switching valve would probably be the best way to do tandem tanks. Work on some form of toggle switch. Like the older ford diesel/gas trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. You think you'll drive that far without stopping in a model A?

3340, a boner, Blues4U and 4 others like this.
  4. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

this
    ]You think you'll drive that far without stopping in a model A?

3340 and zzford like this.

5. My sedan had 2, but used manual valves to do the switch. I’d be concerned about when the check valve failed. Stinky, dangerous mess. If you do go the check valve route, definitely install manual valves too, at least in the lower tank line. It might be a pain in the ass to use the check valve system. I would never leave the car “unattended” without shutting the lower tank off.

6. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Put an electric pump from the rear tank, route it to the front tank, enter high up so return flow won't become an issue. Put a somewhat bigger return line from "full level" on the front tank to the rear, so if you accidently overfill the front tank overflow will go back to the rear. Rear tank might not even need a vent opening, as the return line from the front tank could do that job. A sealed filler cap and leaks shouldn't happen even if return flow would overfill the rear tank.

A simple electric switch lets you fill up the front tank from the rear - not very fast (depending on the pump used), but it can be done while driving so that shouldn't be an issue.

Douglas R and Texas Webb like this.
  7. modeleh

modeleh

Thanks G-son that’s a good idea. Depending on where you’re traveling to in British Columbia it can be a long way between gas stations.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    G-son likes this.
  8. BJR

BJR

Lots of 70's and 80's pickup trucks had dual tanks. Some with electric switching valves, and some with a manual valve with the handle on the floor at the side of the drivers seat. Don't over complicate it.

blowby and raven like this.
  9. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

I’ve had several trucks with dual tanks, some manual, some electric. My vote in a Hot Rod would be manual. One less thing to go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jazz1 and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. Dirk35

Dirk35

11. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I wouldn't use the original tank put one underneath somewhere

12. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

My main complaint about A tanks is they give no choice for instruments so I use saddle tanks.

Mod A Frame 009.jpg Mod A Frame 010.jpg

13. RDR

RDR

Then you can be like the early VW Bugs...No gas gauge... Run out main tank...switch on reserve

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. dwollam

dwollam

My avatar has the stock tank and the original builder in 1958 built 2 wedge tanks of 7 gallons each that hung between the radius rods and the torque tube. He put a filler under the rear seat and had petcocks for each. He soon learned he could fill the main tank and open petcocks and let that fill the wedge tanks. The car set from the mid 70's until 3 years ago when I bought it. The wedge tanks were seeping and rotten gas so I took them out and just run the original 10 gallon stock tank. He used it as a daily driver for many years and need the extra volume. I do not so 10 gallons is plenty.

Dave

15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

When I joined Downeast Streetrods in 1983 the subjects at some meetings were about using the stock model A gastank…
    In a hard crash the radiator support rods could puncture the stock tank... raw gas on your feet...
    some guys bent the rad. support rods a little with a strap holding them together so they didn't spread going down the road, they were strapped "after" the bends...
    reasoning was that in a crash the rods would bend further at the spot where they were already bent...
    we never had a hotrod crash to know...