Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Morris Minor Gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Dang Mike ! I haven't been on here in a while and not getting notifications so I came here to see what you've been up to. Hate to hear what's going on. Wish we were closer I'd be more than glad to help ! Don't sell it yet. I know you've got a lot of yourself in this car. Health is most important, mind the doctors, hang on to the project. Let me know what I can do from afar !! Prayers your way !

2. Best of luck to ya man and I hope you find a taker to help out so you can see the car through to the end. A year goes by pretty quick it seems and you may be driving it sooner than you imagine you will, not calendar wise but just time wise.
    I busted my back in 2005, that slowed me down pretty good, 4 years ago my heart stopped beating, I'm a little slower but still at it. Enjoy what you do in life because life is not promised to anyone.

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well,I finally said screw it and got off my ass and went back out to the garage yesterday.
    I started figuring all of the projects I can knock out with out lifting anything heavy or straining real hard.
    Started working on building my brake rod from the pedal to the master cylinder. It felt good to actually do something useful again.
    I have to reassure my wife that I am not going to overdo it . She does not want come home from work and find me dead in the garage .
    I will be running brake lines and fuel lines after I get the brake rod built. Wiring the car doesn't require anything strenuous other than brain power.

4. Sounds good Mike, take it easy and plug away at it.;):)

Fiddle Picker, loudbang and Spoggie like this.
  5. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Enloe you are a stand up guy, hot rodders helping hot rodders. Hope everything works out health wise. I remember a thread I read on a truck build, the truck was built by a women that had bad back problems. She found one of those lifts they use to get patients out of bed. She beefed it up a little bit and used it to lift everything. She stuck it through the door on the pick up and installed the trans by herself. You may check into something like that to do your lifting.

6. By the way, are you going to use a wiring harness kit and if so what do you think you will use? I am thinking about doing a re wire on the drag coupe.

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  7. Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  8. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Only place better than the garage to be found in dead would be in the car. Well at least in my mind. :D

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

mad mikey. I have been using American autowire for most of my street car builds in the past few years.
    I have saved all of the left over wire from those jobs and my car is small enough that I may have enough wire that I won't have to buy any wire. Speedway has a simple kit for t buckets that I am going to look at. Just need a few switches and my gauges are mechanical. I am going to have headlights and tail lights.
    I may just buy a few rolls of crosslink wire and make my own harness.

10. 87notch

87notch
    from kentucky

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

87notch . What are you trying to send ?

12. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Are you about ready for us to come up and pull the motor?

13. Glad to see you working in it again, I realize you have had some health problems but knowing you sitting around is not something that comes easy. HRP

Hang'emHigh likes this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am close. I have most of the brake lines run. I still need a line-lock. I have the battery cables run.
    I will have the rear chunk set up by the end of the week.
    Having Spec clutches building me a pressure plate that will have a little slip designed into it so it won't be so violent. It will also have an aluminum ring in it to reduce weight which will help with gear changes. It is like the ones that the nmra racers use on small tires. Figure they can run 9's in a fox body,should work well in my 2500 lb car.

15. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Amazingly, some of the Foxes weigh close to that. Seen a few in the 2600lb range. Not sure they'd meet NMRA rules though. lol

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Just let me know when you are ready. Give me a few days notice so I can plan around my wife's schedule for me :).

17. RigorMorris

RigorMorris

loudbang likes this.
  18. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Sorry to hear about the heart. Don't sell out, this would be an excellent opportunity for someone that you could guild (train) in completing the project. I remember helping an old guy with a heart problem such as yours, when I was in high school, one thing I always remember; he asked me what the difference was between a 1/2 bolt and a 9/16 bolt (bolt heads), I said that one is bigger than the other. He told me, "it does not matter, 1/2 inch is at one end of the wrench and the 9/16 is at the other.

19. RigorMorris

RigorMorris

What gear box, steering column are you using, glad you are finishing it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  20. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am using a Vega box and a speedway street rod column.
    What would be a good motor to run if I wanted to run in the new H/Gas class with the southeast gassers ? A flathead or a 4 cylinder ?
    The Morris would look pretty sweet with a flathead in front of my toploader.

21. 6sally6

6sally6

Well SHIT!:(
    6sally6

22. SR100

SR100

Any guesses what your car weighs as a roller? 11 lbs/ci limits you in a small car. For example, a Pontiac Victory 4 (194ci) would need to weigh 2134 lbs. You could stay all BMC and use an MGB 1800 but you'd have a terrible time getting down to 1208lbs. The sweet spot is about 152ci (2.5 liters), but what pre-67 4cyl engine would that be?

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

Just so happens that I have a line on a 153 Chevy 2 engine. The L series Datsun engine first came out in 67 as a 1300 and later became a 1600 and the larger version's.
    I would love to run an inline 6, but the car is too short and the shifter would be behind the seats.
    Should I make the switch I have a bad ass little 308 Windsor and Lakewood shield for sale.

Doctorterry likes this.
  24. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

If you were gonna go that route, the Chevy II 4 banger would have to be the way to go! Those little dudes can make some gnarly horsepower for their size.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  25. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Or one of the tempest 4 cylinders! They’re like 180 ci and I’m pretty sure they take a v8 head.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  26. SR100

SR100

I spaced it on the 153. I wonder if you could run the much better (but later) 181 head.

27. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

Read through the whole thread. Loved every bit! Hoping to see the car finished up!

loudbang likes this.
  28. RigorMorris

RigorMorris

Thanks for the info.. I’d go straight six or 4 cylinder..

loudbang likes this.
  29. RigorMorris

RigorMorris

I was thinking of going with the Saginaw 525

30. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.