Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mystery Tach Info Needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Mar 15, 2019.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Like many my age I am cleaning out nooks, cranny's & attic's of old parts from my early life. Found this Tack in the attic and am baffled as to what brand and why only 1 wire to Tack (the other you see is for the light). This model take a "box"?
    Nice heavy Bullet bucket, looks like a quality Tack with no name on face. Any thoughts? Thanks!
    DSCF9919.JPG DSCF9920.JPG DSCF9921.JPG DSCF9922.JPG DSCF9923.JPG DSCF9924.JPG

catdad49, Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I've got one of those! I bought it at the Puyallup Corvette Swap meet back in the late 80s.
    Sorry I don't have an answer for you as to who made it though.

3. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I have a very similar one in much worse shape pulled out of a neighbor's old grain truck.
    In my experience if they don't have a brand name printed on the face they're usually an "economy" brand item sold at your local parts store. Not to say it isn't quality, it probably is (after all, mine was still working after all those years in the field).

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a small side endeavor that does a couple of specialty electronics items for vintage cars. One of these is a "black box" that allows the use of modern 12 volt motor type tachs on 6 volt positive ground systems. In developing this product, one of the off shoots we came up with is a unit that replaces missing or damaged sender boxes for these older meter-type tachs on 12 volt negative ground vehicles. If you are in love with this tachometer head and want to use it, I believe we can help you out with a modern solid state control box that runs on the vehicles power and doesn't require batteries like the originals. PM me if interested.

Old-Soul and scotty t like this.
  5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I see 3 wires, the 1 I don't show is just a ground.......................................
    Tubman, will do if someone can prove it even took a box!

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it has 4 wires, it's probably a later motor-type. I only saw 2 wires in the original pictures which lead me believe it needed a control box.

7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Yep, I am with you on that tubman, needing a box. I remember going to the drags at SIR Seattle with my Anglia in the '80's and had to stop in at an Honest Charley's parts store and buy a small electric box to make the Tack work. Just don't remember if it was this Tack! Hell the magic box still might be up in the attic!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  8. egads

egads

Looks like claymart is probably right, the one on ebay just has a ground wire added to it

9. Really think it's a non-box - and did you say heavy ? Might be your clue - heavy might mean the guts are inside.....two wires - ground and to the coil ? Most of - needs a box - have more wires coming out like the one's I have.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

SIR
    If that "black box" is a Sun sending unit and it is an EB-9A that is quite valuable.
    I had been looking for a Sun tach with no luck, I had collected a couple of used senders that were corroded inside but found an NOS unit at the Portland Swap Meet years ago for $10 then sold it for $100 because I never found a tach, found out some time later that I gave it away at that price.

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Stillrunner, yes very heavy for a Tack!
    DDD, Thanks for the spelling lesson, it's even hard for me to re-read some of my own posts!
    I know the black Sun boxes you were refereeing to but if memory serves me correct the box I bought was just a shiny metal, non descript box smaller than a pack of Old Golds.

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a note. We have also been able to put our units inside a Sun controller box. Since the old Sun boc just acts as a container for the electronics, these can be set up to run 6 or 12 volts, either polarity.

13. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Medallion Instruments used a AT-5001 part number on some of their tachs. I think Medallion made a lot of gauges for boats. And I thought Dixco also used the AT-5001 number on their their tach body on their 60S series of tachs?

14. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Seeing your thread reminded me of a tach I bought at a swap meet. It looks like the same manufacturer, I don’t have a cup for it. I too wonder who made it.
    39E015C1-7A8C-4BA0-A0E2-86FEC891874C.jpeg B41BD9FF-2680-4619-898F-919C11CA82F7.jpeg

15. racerlall

racerlall
    from WA

I picked one of thos up copel swaps ago found this on e bay
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...9b59d3f:g:L~0AAOSw-btav8O~&LH_ItemCondition=4

so may be a Universal Motor Division I think I saw a wiring diagram showing 2 wire tacks being 6 or 12 volt power runs threw the light using the bulb as a voltage limiter if I rember right the bulb is GE 51 7. sum thing voltage ground is threw case and sensing wire to coil mine needs a fix so I have not tested this theory yet s-l1600 (15).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (15).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (15).jpg s-l1600.jpg

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ O Great another wrench into the equation!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Nice looking Tack even with the Universal Logo!
    4K tops, that must be for Marine use?