Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical wiring a universal ignition switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintage44, Mar 15, 2019.

1. vintage44

vintage44
    from NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

Temporarily (maybe) using a universal ignition switch to start my SBC. It's been wired up for a couple of years (which is how long it's been since I last had it working and successfully had the engine running). Now that it's warm enough to get out in the garage I want to get the engine turning over and running again so I went about tracing the wiring setup that I had. All seems still correctly connected except I have nothing connected to the small terminal labeled "Batt" for some type of hot connection. Obviously I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree so I'm hoping you guys can help. Thanks

2. F&J

F&J

Do you mean "Batt" terminal on the new switch? Yes, you need a fairly heavy "hot all the time" wire feeding that terminal.

Then "ign" terminal on switch goes to coil at "plus"side.
    Then "S" or "Sol" terminal on switch goes to the "inboard small terminal" on starter solenoid which is marked S.

Some switches might lose power at the "ign" terminal when you crank, but not many. Those would work with the older GM solenoids that also have a small, second "outboard" terminal marked "I". Run a wire from there up to the plus side of coil. That will power the coil when cranking.

If points, you should use a ballast resistor on the wire coming from the "Ign" terminal on switch that goes to the coil. That way, the car starts on 12v when cranking, but then runs the coil at a lower voltage when running, after it starts.

3. vintage44

vintage44
    from NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

Yes , I'm talking about that "Batt" terminal on the switch. Are you saying that I need a direct wire connection to that terminal that is hot? The hot battery cable does have two small wire possible connections as part of the cable end.

4. vintage44

vintage44
    from NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

Yes , I'm talking about that "Batt" terminal on the switch. Are you saying that I need a direct wire connection to that terminal that is hot? The hot battery cable does have two small wire possible connections as part of the cable end.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would work for basic start up
    This is Ford with a generator but by rethinking the connections on the solenoid it will work on a GM with the solenoid on the starter. You can bypass the wire with the ammeter in it and run the wire from the small wire on the battery cable to the switch. Basic ford wiring diagram.gif

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here the simplified get it running version Basic ford wiring diagram (2).gif

7. F&J

F&J

yes. 12v power from the battery, connected to that terminal.