Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Handmade '32 roadster body (edited)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ratamahata, Feb 3, 2019.

1. rgdavid

rgdavid

Looks like heaven,
    Your work on the body is brilliant,

2. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

I'll date my self on this one also, I do remember 93 KHJ. Lived in Lawndale,Hawthorne,Manhatten Beach, Gardena. Those were the good old days, And Yes I do Remember the 60's & 70's quite well being that what I smoked & drank & popped or well you get the picture, LOL
    And I guess I still am a Hippie proof below, although don't have the bad habits anymore. 1 007.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Stogy and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  3. Mock up setting the ride height... At back just to low I think... IMG-20190313-WA0005.jpeg

Sent from my Mi A1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nunattax, Joemama, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

just me, but I like to have the wheelwell to tire gap match all the way around...

Black_Sheep, Stogy and ratamahata like this.
  5. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Wow, this is some cool stuff. Wish I could afford to buy a 3 or 5 window coupe, no rust to fool with, no surprise earlier repairs you run in to.

6. Yes... When we work over convert 4 door into coupe must sandblasted all the body!! Ahhh you will find a lot of surprises... Sometimes all the floor and 5" all the way around rotten...

Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  7. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

When I get my 28 sedan done I'd like to build a coupe, anything around here if you can find one is rusted away and has 50 lb of bondo in it.

8. Oh no bondo... I hate bondo!! I would like to build a 32 roadster without bondo painted black matte with a number in the door... Safe of bondo...

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Impressive.. I remember Frank Curries hand made 32 roadster that had a little longer doors. He drove to Bonneville bolted in a cage, race it, removed the cage, and drove to Pleasanton. he wanted it to go 200; Frank spun it more times than I could count. Dwayne McKinny got it over 200 controlling that Cammer Ford for power.
    I told Frank and Dwayne don't go over the record and come to impounds cause Dan Warner and I will throw you out for not having a "stock" or stock replica body. I'm sure the family still has it...

rpm56 likes this.
  10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Love your work! Rods shaping up nice!
    But hate mat black as a finish,primer is not a finish{even by any other name} a big bubble of fake BS around now about how primer was how it was<No it was not,50s n 60s everyone was trying for some cool shiny.

11. Oh man.. Thanks for that story... So with a non stock body maybe not qualified? Sorry my English is no so well!

dana barlow likes this.
  12. Yes if I can afford a decent paint job! My preference is black or red or whatever primer without bondo... Like a race car with scratches and crashes

Stogy, nunattax and dana barlow like this.
  13. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Now that is traditional, primer until you can afford to do a nice paint job!

Stogy likes this.
  14. I had to learn in that way like the first hot rodders ... I do not complain about money ... I always told my friend the metalshaping guy ... I want the shape, the harmony of the 32 roadster... no I care if it's perfect, but I do not want bondo.

Stogy and sloppy jalopies like this.
  15. nunattax, Hank56, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  16. Hank56, GuyW, dana barlow and 5 others like this.
  17. dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  18. williebill

williebill

Just read this thread for the first time ! I'm in awe of the metalworking skills ! Amazing work !

Stogy likes this.
  19. Many thanks!!

nunattax and Stogy like this.
  20. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Keep up the outstanding work, you are a true Craftsman. Frank

21. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

How do these bodies compare to the glass ones in price? I was looking at Spirit glass bodies the other night, $3000 for basic body and you put it together. I pretty much hate fooling with fiberglass. Put a quarter in a corvette along with fixing some other damage and I hated every minute of it.

22. Hi Mike... Steel bodies always cost more than fiberglass I think...
    These reproduction steel bodies are handmade for Hot Rod application... If some costumer needs more detailed finish... My friend would needs more hours with hammer and dolly planishing the surface...

23. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I figured that, a decent steel body wouldn't have near the work like fiberglass would though and not near the mess.

24. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've said this before, I thought I had decent metal skills until I joined this forum, very nice work.

Stogy and ratamahata like this.
  25. Picture attached is the structure using for reproduced the 32 Grille shell...

IMG_20190315_085437.jpeg

26. Joemama, GuyW and Stogy like this.
  27. patsurf

patsurf

Stogy and ratamahata like this.
  28. nunattax, Hank56, Stogy and 3 others like this.