Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Need help: 1927 Model T Chasis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andrew B, Mar 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Andrew B

Andrew B

Hi,

My name is Andrew and I just picked up a 27 Ford Model T Sedan. I am 21 years old and this is my first car that I am building and need help on choosing a chasis that will suit my car with the least amount of modifications. I have never built anything like this before nor a chasis from scratch and need help! If any of you know the best chasis for me to be able to use that would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Andrew

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  2. Andrew, talking S-10 on here will get your post deleted. I'll just add "don't do that" and forgive you for thinking like most 21 year old guys of today. Learning how in todays world for young Guns is a bitch to say the least unless you have an older friend for a coach. Lot's of them here if you play your cards right. My advice is go back and read the guide lines and read lot's of what is here and see if you think you and your project really fits our agenda. After that check out T.C.I. Chassis works and maybe a few other suppliers. I actually have a 26-27 Stock chassis but have no idea where your at so doubt that will do you any good.

alanp561 likes this.
  3. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

For first timers I usually suggest tried and true.. the engineering is figured which means it’s probably going to be an easier build and the end result will usually turn out better.. in this case that would mean a ford frame or equivallant. Lots of guys who can build you one if needed..

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  4. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Do a search for Boling Brothers and hang out on the HAMB for awhile before making any decisions about the build. Wish someone would have told me that before I started. Shoot me a message if you have questions and I'll try to help.

5. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

This is what I started with.

IMG_0294.JPG

6. Andrew, where do you live?
    If you complete your profile page, there might be nearby HAMBers who'd be happy to help you get your T rolling.

BTW, If I had that sedan body, I'd search for an old '23 T-bucket project to put it on. The frame might need to be lengthened a few inches, but it could provide you with an inexpensive and usable chassis & drivetrain.

Hope this helps.

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

Andrew:

Welcome to our hobby. If you are in my neighborhood, I'd be glad to help but there is just so much information to unload. These cars have so little in common with the cars of today and it is daunting to tell about things like carburetors, distributors, points, generators, and such. Do you have any hot rod mentors nearby?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary likes this.
  8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Depending on budget, best start would be Tardel Book and maybe a cheap Model A chassis.
    Otherwise repro more specific hot rod chassis as suggested above.
    If you indicate where you reside you never know there maybe another HAMB member near by who could mentor you according to your needs.

MMM1693 and Just Gary like this.
  9. raven

raven

Use a model A frame to start with. It will make the build go a lot easier.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

trollst likes this.
  10. Welcome Andrew,location location location.

11. evintho

evintho

What he said^^^^^!
    Post your location, please.

12. My 27 Roadster Pick-up is on a Model A chassis. Raven has some good advice and they are pretty easy on your Wallet.

20180404_153408.jpg

brad2v and patmanta like this.
  13. goldmountain

goldmountain

Since Andrew hasn't responded to us, I think that maybe he is looking for a simple readily available chassis that would work. Unfortunately there really is nothing out there in today's cars that fits that bill. Today on Youtube, I found a video called "Homemade Indy Car" by Macro Machine that shows an excellent chassis being built by a young guy like Andrew. The only drawback is that he has all the cool tools and Andrew probably doesn't. I hope that this provides encouragement.

Just Gary likes this.
  14. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I think you're right, I guess we lost him. He really needed to hook up with a Hot Rodder local to him. We tried.

Just Gary likes this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

...another T sedan to the S10 ranks