Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Pal Carburetors by Pal Engineering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carbking, Mar 14, 2019.

1. carbking

carbking

This is slightly O/T but just barely.

Anyone ever see a rotary throttle carburetor manufactured by Pal Engineering of Cedar Rapids, Iowa?

I have a complete sales promotion mailed to Mr. A. K. Miller (that should make it on topic) 21 August 1968.

Like all aftermarket carburetors, according to the sales literature, they are wildly superior ;) to any original equipment carburetor. The interesting thing (at least to me) is that even though this was mailed in 1968, all of their carburetors have the old Stromberg 3-bolt flange mounting. They come in a variety of different throttle bores.

I have never seen one in person. Anyone ever see or use one of these?

Jon.

loudbang, tractorguy and Tim like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Current Google street view of the address shows Lebeda Engineering.

3. carbking

carbking

Thanks, this I knew. Google indicates that Lebeda Engineering is a motorcycle repair shop at the address on the packet. Google also found a reference to Pal Engineering that offered for sale complete engines, but according to the single review I could find, no reference to any being sold. The review was not a glowing testimonial.

Google found absolutely nothing when Pal Engineering and carburetors were searched together.

Just wondered if anyone had any familiarity (other than Google) with these carburetors. The packet that I have suggests that Pal Engineering was attempting to enlist Mr. Miller as a dealer.

It goes into the "wonderful carburetor file" containing information on Pogue, Fish, Woodworth, Kendig, and Stransky.

Jon.

4. alchemy

alchemy

Maybe you could call Lebeda and see if they have any relation to Pal? At least it's not a Kum & Go store.

carbking likes this.

5. carbking

carbking

The gentleman that owns Lebeda Engineering is the son of the gentleman that was Pal Engineering. Very interesting fellow; and evidently the apple didn't fall far from the tree where engineering ability is concerned. While I was on the phone, one of his customers brought in an aluminum cylinder head with a twisted stud, and a broken tap! He told the guy no problem, he has an EDM machine (wish I did !).

A few carbs were sold in Iowa, but the timing was poor. Those of you old enough to remember smog emission czars from the late 1960's, will appreciate his telling me California would not permit the carbs to be sold in the state of California, which would have been his big market. Not long after that, the project was scrapped.

Apparently the carbs were two-barrels that were patterned after the rotary throttle Winfield; however, the sales brochure indicates that they were made only in the Stromberg 3-bolt mounting. If they worked, they might have been "flathead heaven".

Jon.

6. alchemy

alchemy

Is the tooling sitting on a shelf in the back?

tractorguy likes this.
  7. carbking

carbking

Unfortunately, no, it was all scrapped.

Jon.

8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I knew I had heard of PAL Engineering sometime in my past, and eventually it came to me. A lot of R/C engines use rotary throttle carburetors , so I assume that the idea to upscale that technology for a "full size" engine came from PAL Engineering's experience with R/C carbs and engines.
    PAL Engineering.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    loudbang, AHotRod, tractorguy and 3 others like this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

Maybe the L in PAL stands for Lebeda.

10. carbking

carbking

Ebbsspeed - thanks for the additional info.

Jon.

11. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The L in PAL Engineering does stand for Lebeda. Francis Lebeda took over the family business from his father and changed the name to Lebeda Engineering. Francis is one smart man and has his hands into a lot of things - automotive, motorcycles, airplanes, working miniature cannons, RC planes, guns and building movie props. He had a fenderless 1935 Ford coupe hot rod that he built in the 1950s and kept it until at least the end of the 60s. If you are on Facebook you can check out the story I did about Francis for my Eastern Iowa car history page. Scroll down to the September 18 2018 story. www.facebook.com/History-of-Cedar-Rapids-and-Eastern-Iowa-Car-Culture-Street-and-Racing-681110035572640
    7.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    mgtstumpy, loudbang, AHotRod and 7 others like this.
  12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jon, are there any images in the literature that you can share?

For kicks, here's a patent for a Rotary Throttle carb.....
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US4481152

loudbang and AHotRod like this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

It's great how the info is trickling in, we may actually see a PAL carb on this thread. I too had heard that name before but couldn't place it, my Dad was a big RC plane guy back then.
    Normally I don't like fenderless coupes/sedans later than '34 but man, the stance just makes that '35. Love how the rear tires follow the body contour, bitchin.

loudbang likes this.
  14. carbking

carbking

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's hard to see, but in the picture of the '35 coupe, it looks like the front carburetor has the oversized square float bowl just like the carburetor pictured. It looks to me like he used his own carburetors, which is reasonable.

I also agree with "bchctybob" about the '35 coupe. I also don't like the fenderless look on the later cars (in my case after 1932), but that one looks killer. It looks like it's reallllly low, so I wonder how practical it was on the street? It doesn't matter though; the number and size of the trophies probably mean it was a show car.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  16. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, that's got R/C barrel-valve carb written all over it.

17. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was not just a show car. Francis drove the crap out of. He also drag raced it and was showing me the timing slips from the late 50s and early 60s that he kept.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  18. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

@36cab did that 3 window coupe have the rear panel below the decklid cut across the back and then tucked under? I remember one being around in the 70's or 80's with the rear modified that way.