Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pretty Good Spark Plug Wires Real Cheap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4woody, Sep 12, 2012.

1. 4woody

4woody

Since my thread about header clearance to plug wires veered off into a discussion of header wrap,traditionalism, and header warranties; I'm posting this on a new thread.

I am using MSD Streetfire Wires on my project. They are a made in USA, 8mm, black. universal fit set. Cost about $35 at Summit.

Unfortunately I cut one wire a little short, and wanted to redo my coil wire with straight boots/terminals instead of the 90 degree ones that came with my kit.

Autozone was on the way home from work. I usually expect the cheapest of the worst from them, and was expecting to buy a single wire along with boots and terminals for the coil wire.

I ended up buying a complete set of Duralast #1601 cut-to-fit wires (90 degree dizzy & plug boots, straight coil wire boots, plain black rubber, 8mm, 2 year warranty) that are made in USA and look an awful lot like my MSD's. For $15 the set.

I was very pleasantly surprised at both the quality and price. Unless they turn out to have some hidden flaw these should be real popular with the budget-minded rodder.

FWIW Duralast #1600 is the same wire set but with straight plug boots, and both sets come with terminals for HEI & socket style dizzys.

Just thought I'd share...

scott27 likes this.
  2. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I suspect you are paying for the name on these and a lot of parts. I try very hard to avoid the "STREET ROD" look if possable.

3. Gator

Gator

Good info, thanks!

4. Tin Can

Tin Can

Good info, I wish we would have heard about this a week ago. Me and my buddy just bought plug wires for our project.

Thanks again

5. i have msd street fire wires on my 72 f100 and my gfs 50 pontiac i got mine from advanced auto for i think 50.00 and was planning on buying another set for my t-bird but now i just might have to look at the duralast 1600 wire set

you know if you need/ want a streetfire wire to make a complete set i have some extras laying around brand new i could send you one

OK I JUST FIGURED OUT THIS IS AN OLD THREAD

6. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

saving bucks on quality parts is something we all like---thanks....

7. Scott

Scott

8. Scott

Scott

Just installed a set, wires are way away from the block huggers , I used the 90* set. there is plenty of length to route them where ever you want. You will need to buy a crimping tool if you don't already have one. Also it says you dont have to lube the boots, but I had to. Cant beat the price!!!!!

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Core type is listed as "supressor". Are these wires carbon core?

10. dwest999

dwest999
    from Saline, MI

In a jam at Autozone today... I asked for what they had in universal sets.... After explaining to the clerk what I needed he showed me a couple of performance sets even though I told him I didn't want anything too expensive since these were going on an old Plymouth... After he told me that's all he had I asked him about the Duralasts he said he wasn't sure if they were avail in universal sets... I then searched the net for the part number and found this post... 5 minutes later (after I gave him the part #) I walked out w a set of 8 universals for $16 bucks! Thanks 4Woody!

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

DAMN IT! That was MY secret!:D I discovered those a few years ago. Everyone gives Autozone/Duralast such a hard time, I kept them all to myself. Not only are they $15.99 + tax, but they have a 1 year warranty. When I give my T Bucket a tune-up, every 6 months, I take the old ones back with the receipt and get a new set for..... FREE.

alanp561 and sko_ford like this.
  12. Hey Fred are these long enough to route under headers? I need something to replace my current wires.

13. CARQUEST also has a good universal set I have used many times.

14. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Should be. They're cut to fit.

16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Did a set for the '57 based on the info in this thread.
    Distributer ends are 90 degree boots, so I went to Jeg's and picked up a set of straight boots. $ 25.oo and about an hours time and I have a set of wires that look great and work very well! This was a great find and I appreciate the heads up for the info!
    KK

17. A Boner

A Boner

Anyone actually have the Autozone universal plug wire set part #? Would be another search, made easy for us! Are they still listed?

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Do they have the parts to work with a points style distributor cap.

20. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Yes I believe so, might call your local store to verify. It covers the 60s GM applications which are points distributors. But, if you call you might get the "guy" that says, what are points?

alanp561 likes this.
  21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I ran into one guy who worked at one that did not know what a generator was.

Just Gary likes this.
  22. The Duralast wire sets come with ends for distributors requiring male end and also female end. I had the wires installed with a points distributor and when I installed an HEI distributor, all I did was cut off the wire ends and install the other set provided.

Phil

23. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I have them on 2 of my cars and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality!
    KK

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yes.

26. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Peeing on the tree so I can come back to this.

27. 4woody

4woody

I’m glad this is making the rounds again. The wires I put on when I first posted this in 2012 are still on there and working fine.

pprather likes this.
  28. One has straight plug boots molded on. The other set has right angle plug boots.

Phil

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    anothercarguy likes this.
  29. Thanks.