Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 4-71 blower identification help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1twisted1, Mar 8, 2019.

1. 1twisted1

1twisted1

looking at this setup for my 283 build, can the gurus here help me verify it is or isn't what the seller is claiming. I'm asking because all the markers marks are gone and the
    front bearing inspection plate says Tho
    mpson.

Seller states "Old school USED 471 Blower setup that features an old school Cragar V Belt drive and a rare Weiand old school 471 blower intake manifold."

4-71.1.jpg
    4-71.2.jpg
    4-71.3.jpg
    4-71.4.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Deuces, mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. redo32

redo32

I'm not a blower expert, but I don't see anything to refute his claims.

Deuces and squirrel like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

here's the Cragar catalog page....

I expect it could be various parts, put together. But still a neat setup!

[​IMG]

4. 1twisted1

1twisted1

Yes I forgot to mention that and added it to my original post.

I wasn't aware that Mickey Thompson ever marketed blowers. In what years did they offer them and who made them?

5. silent rick

silent rick

more than likely a converted GMC. back bearing plate is plane. the triangle plate can be had in many designs.
    check the diameter of the pulleys. last one he had for sale, they were the same size meaning you were running it at 1:1.
    easier to adjust boost with a gilmer cogged drive. just change pulleys to under drive it.

6. Fordors

Fordors

I don’t think M/T ever produced any v-belt kits, that tri-plate was from a M/T drive as Jim suggested. Tri-plates are necessary to cover an accessory drive hole on that stock GMC front cover.
    Early on Mickey used what ever drive he needed on his cars and even on Challanger the blower drives were designed and produced by Cragar. Oddly he never gave Cragar any credit for helping him achieve his 406mph run. I think as time went on he did make his own Gilmer belt kits but don’t remember for sure.

1twisted1 likes this.
  7. 1twisted1

1twisted1

At 1:1 it will be prefect for my 283 build making about 8-9 psi, if i go 301 I'll have go +10% to keep it in that same range. what are the chances of finding a overdrive v-belt pulley

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  8. squirrel

squirrel

that's the kind of stuff you end up making

9. It is very similar to the 4-71 set up that I have. If it is priced right, then step up.

10. silent rick

silent rick

kind of getting up there in boost for a street driven car. i'd bolt it on a 327 and be happy with 5-6 lbs all day long.
    i'm watching that one and my finger's been itching but i live an hour away from dyers shop and i'm wanting one for a Y block instead so i've been able to resist my desires.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It "looks" like a nice setup but.........
    "Old School" three times, really, sounds like he might be selling that, and that usually comes with a premium price in this current "traditional" trend we are in right now.
    Assuming it's all good and what he claims and the asking price suits you there is only the transfer of $$$ left, doesn't mean there won't be things to sort out and additional costs.
    I'd say it will compliment that 283 nicely.

12. Something of note. Most of the Micky Thompson stuff I have ever seen said M/T or Micky Thompson not just Thompson. Now back in the '60s (maybe a decade in either direction) there was a Thompson Marine that specialized in speed boat applications. That wouldn't be a bad thing as far as blower drives go but just an observation.

Looks like a neat setup to me. I am not there to check and see how worn it is but looks like a neat setup to me.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  13. Fordors

Fordors

Early Mickey Thompson SBC and 331-392 valve covers are sought after for their fins and small THOMPSON cast on them.

porknbeaner likes this.
  14. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are a wuss if you don't buy it.

-Abone.

PS. It wouldn't hurt to send it to Rick Dean for a quick checkup just in case.
    http://www.deanblowers.com/

15. 1twisted1

1twisted1

Well Just bought this setup so I'll let you know.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  16. racerlall

racerlall
    from WA

have a set of Pontiac valve covers that just say Thompson

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was $3895, plus $175 shipping.

It did not sell, according to the auction listing.

18. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Not necessarily, seller ended the auction which means it might have sold.

1twisted1 likes this.
  19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It could have sold locally, too.

20. 1twisted1

1twisted1

Well it will be here on Monday so I'll post pictures to clear up your doubt.

21. 1twisted1

1twisted1

I can assure you I did pay that for it either, didn't steal it, but seller worked with me on the price.

22. XXL__

XXL__

So... if, as comments seem to indicate, you did buy the one listed on ebay, and... that listing was ended early (rather than being "sold"), it means you did an off-books transaction. Ebay "frowns upon" such things (because it cuts them out of final value fees), but it also means the buyer has zero Buyer Protection coverage. As in, if it comes as less than described, you bear all the burden. I hope you get exactly what you are expecting.

/2 cents

23. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

What do you have for a motor and what, if anything has been done to it?

24. 1twisted1

1twisted1

Well it might have been listed on ebay, but that is not where I bought it. Things that are listed on one site (Ebay) can and often are listed in other places.

As for having buyer protection its no different than buying a part on Craigslist, Racejunk or any of the other sites out there. You do your homework, talk to the person on the phone, get pictures but in the end all you can hope for is a stand up guy on the other end of the deal.

There are ways to protect yourself when doing online deals outside of the big sites also, that being said I feel comfortable with the deal I made and the person I made it with. These parts are getting very hard to find so when you find them you have to sometime take chances to get them.

On a side note at Autorama here in Detroit I talked to a well known person (in classic hotrod circles) from Ohio, he told me it would take $2000 to get just the Weiand sbc 4-71 intake he had.

25. 1twisted1

1twisted1

Motor will be a 65 283 .030over with a 327crank., will be a completely fresh build with the 4-71 in mind.

I'm building this car as if I was a young man in the early to mid 60's building a street rod, parts have & will been sourced from this time period only, with the exception of tires and safety items.

Here's the look I'm going for
    gasser-1953-club-coupe-hot-rod-race-car-drag-car-rat-rod-pro-street-1.jpg

26. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I have sold parts that I had to remove from eBay as they sold off another ad.
    I’ll add the line that it’s listed on multiple sites to let potential buyers know.

1twisted1 likes this.
  27. XXL__

XXL__

There seems to be a lot of moral relativism in the air these days.

Problem is when buyer and seller make contact via the ebay listing, even if you "take it to email (or phone)" it is in violation of ebay ToS. You're using their venue to find customers, then luring them away to avoid paying your use of their venue, which is how you found the customer-- kind of like me standing out in front of your shiny fancy repair shop, and when customers come along, rolling their car over to my crappy shop to do the work. I'm not the ebay police... just getting the information out there so others can decide if they are willing to risk an ebay ban. My ebay seller account is 23 years old, and I benefit from it, so a ban for me would be a big deal. How others skirt ebay's ToS is their business, but understand that there can be consequences.

Also, the point of my original comment was that buying outside of ebay simply means you don't have any "ebay protections" (which, as a seller, I can tell you are WHOLLY one-sided in favor of buyers). When you decide to buy outside of ebay, you do take on the liability of lazy shipper, part not as described, scammer, whatever... something that you DON'T have to do with ebay transactions. Heck, I've had people buy stuff from me on ebay, USED THE ITEM, then return it covered in grease and grime, and ebay has forced me to refund them... including ALL shipping fees. Frankly, it's crap for sellers. But, imagine buying... hypothetically... a 4-71 blower sight unseen, that is in "excellent condition" only to find out you have to sink another $600 into it for new bearings and seals. If it was an ebay sale, and within the 60 day window, a simple series of clicks and the buyer gets to take it back for a full refund. The buyer literally cannot refuse. Ebay will impound the funds and refund it "on behalf of" the seller. In the wild west, you make between zero and 100 phone calls, send emails, bitch about it on the HAMB, then eventually give up trying to be made whole. (Or, the seller handles it right away. That happens from time to time.).

But buying out in the wild west, you own the transaction... as @1twisted1 says--

/another 2 cents (that makes 4)

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  28. 1twisted1

1twisted1

I appreciate and understand where your coming from.

As I stated, the deal was right for me, so I took and assumed the risk (NOTED). The parts where shipped the next day, I was sent pictures, along with tracking numbers, right know the parts are sitting in Perrysburg, Ohio.

I bought the 4-71 with all intentions of sending it out for a rebuild, and well the intakes as I'm sure you know ant just lying around anymore.

The person I purchased it from is a member of the group and I'm sure is getting a kick out of this.

29. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Ya don't need to spend 2K on a manifold, as they are being repopped for under a grand.

1twisted1 likes this.
  30. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Been a ebay seller for 20 years.Never ended a listing early to sell to a eBay buyer off the grid, so to speak. Anytime a bidder asks me to end a item I reply I don’t end auctions early and happy bidding. On a buy it now item IF I use the accept offers that’s a different story but it still goes through eBay.
    As a seller of parts eBay is just one venue that I use to sell. To not use other sites to move product is counterproductive. If I have a item for sale here in the classifieds are you saying it shouldn’t be listed on eBay,Craigslist,Facebook marketplace or any other sales site at the same time?
    The objective of selling something is to sell it. I will agree that the policies are tilted toward the buyer. The removal of feedback on buyers left no option to discover shady bidders.

gimpyshotrods, Hombre and 1twisted1 like this.