Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage TROG Santa Barbara

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LBCD, Mar 9, 2019.

1. 63Compact

63Compact

Thanks for posting that looked like a blast.

LBCD likes this.
  2. Stogy, Pat, ratrodrodder and 5 others like this.
  3. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Excellent Photos And Very Much Appreciated...

LBCD likes this.
  4. LBCD

LBCD

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Stogy, Pat, mgtstumpy and 4 others like this.
  5. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thank you for your time and talent. Not all can get out to do these things.

God Bless you for Sharing.

jim

LBCD likes this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

Hey LBCD,

This is your thread and your great idea for an event down Ocean Blvd. Back in 1960, the Long Beach City used to close off Ocean Blvd for a cool parade to celebrate the festivities involved in “The International Beauty Pageant.”

“The pageant was created in Long Beach, California in 1960 after the departure of the Miss Universe pageant to Miami Beach. It was hosted in Long Beach until 1967.”
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...m-days-gone-by.428585/page-3806#post-11619277

Since then, the famous Gran Prix races were held in 1975, but they were allowed to race on Ocean Blvd from 1975-82. Below the Breakers Hotel, there is Seaside Way. Now, it is used for part of the Gran Prix race course. The whole Seaside Way from Pine Avenue, past the Breakers, and stopping (in plenty of road surface) before East Shoreline Drive would make a great Dragstrip.

It is approximately, 2500 feet, includes a full 1320' with 1180’ left. That is plenty of shut down room if the whole Seaside Way were to be used. It has an easy return via the Sports Arena parking lot and Shoreline Drive back to Pine Ave.

Ocean Blvd. would be a hard sell with it being the major roadway being blocked off on a busy weekend. The Seaside Way road has much less traffic and could be blocked off without causing too many problems. Closing Ocean Blvd would probably be better for viewing, but could not be any different than shutting off Cabrillo Blvd. in Santa Barbara. It is a major thoroughfare. (That is one reason why the Gran Prix racer no longer race on Ocean Blvd.)

This is/was a very cool idea. It was like an art project that required the brain to function while it lasts. As much history of growing up in Long Beach gave and cruising along that shore line a zillion times, it is hard to overcome the location/atmosphere of the Santa Barbara shoreline along Cabrillo Blvd.

Jnaki

I say run with it (LB OCEAN BLVD) as an alternative and give the sponsors of the Santa Barbara Drags an option for next year or thereafter. The big selling point would be freeway access from all points in So Cal. Also, being centrally located in the So Cal area helps with the attendance and $$$$.

Long Beach is approximately an hour drive from just about anywhere in So Cal via freeways. Just make sure it is not within several months of the Gran Prix dates. Your “Breakers” friend could contact the other big resorts in the area for a united front.

The Long Beach event could be held at the end of summer. It could be an extravaganza of how hot rod drags and customs used to be in sunny, So Cal. That would be the ticket… My high school friend became a dentist. He compared his office location in Long Beach vs Laguna Beach. He loved coastal Laguna Beach, but, he said that Long Beach is accessible to millions of more people than the coastal city of Laguna Beach. So, he could draw from a lot of areas for his dentistry practice.

"Hot Rods, Drag Racing, and Customs in Long Beach" has a great ring to it... or whatever it will be called for the event.
    upload_2019-3-13_3-54-18.png
    upload_2019-3-13_3-55-13.png
    start line near the Convention Center over pass, just off of Pine Ave.
    upload_2019-3-13_3-58-59.png
    If only part of Seaside Way is used like the Gran Prix, after a full ¼ mile from Pine Ave, there is only 280 feet of shut off area left before the first parking lot turn off. So, the full Seaside Way length is necessary.
    upload_2019-3-13_4-1-16.png
    The Seaside Way road below the Breakers.
    upload_2019-3-13_4-3-17.png
    The beach/parking area near the Hyatt Regency Resort (shut down area with another 1/8 mile to the end turnaround) An exit and return the end, a huge Sports Arena Parking Lot with access to Shoreline Drive back to Pine Avenue and the starting area.

This is a total dream, of course, as the Long Beach Gran Prix had lost its major sponsor this year. But, sponsorship money always talks, the huge Hyatt Regency Resort, Renaissance Hotel, and the Breakers could be co-sponsors of the event. Even a car show at the adjoining Sports Arena is possible, just like the old days… logistics being what they are…

Stogy, LBCD and mctim64 like this.
  7. LBCD

LBCD

Jnaki....great info! As always you are thorough with your explanation and information.

This is just a idea and I’m just a dreamer.

Santa Barbara was perfect! The site can’t be beat but you never know, The Breakers is going through a huge renovation and I’ve seen the drawings...it’s going to be incredible when done.
    My thoughts are the city has a ton of historical buildings, Hell we even have the Queen Mary just down the street.

Once again just a dream!

If my buddy wasn’t part owner and doing an amazing restoration on The Breakers I probably wouldn’t have thought about it. [​IMG]

I hope they come back to Santa Barbara, we will be there probably in the same room too right in front of the races...surreal. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  8. an1951

an1951

[QUOTE="jnaki, post: 12994030, member: 259060"

LONG BEACH LEGAL STREET DRAGS ?? Hell Yes, Thats one hell of a idea, we were just talking about that this past week end with my motor head friends. I t could be done with LOTs of homework into it. Seaside Way is a good location, but a 1/8 mile to start with.

This is your thread and your great idea for an event down Ocean Blvd. Back in 1960, the Long Beach City used to close off Ocean Blvd for a cool parade to celebrate the festivities involved in “The International Beauty Pageant.”

“The pageant was created in Long Beach, California in 1960 after the departure of the Miss Universe pageant to Miami Beach. It was hosted in Long Beach until 1967.”
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...m-days-gone-by.428585/page-3806#post-11619277

Since then, the famous Gran Prix races were held in 1975, but they were allowed to race on Ocean Blvd from 1975-82. Below the Breakers Hotel, there is Seaside Way. Now, it is used for part of the Gran Prix race course. The whole Seaside Way from Pine Avenue, past the Breakers, and stopping (in plenty of road surface) before East Shoreline Drive would make a great Dragstrip.

It is approximately, 2500 feet, includes a full 1320' with 1180’ left. That is plenty of shut down room if the whole Seaside Way were to be used. It has an easy return via the Sports Arena parking lot and Shoreline Drive back to Pine Ave.

Ocean Blvd. would be a hard sell with it being the major roadway being blocked off on a busy weekend. The Seaside Way road has much less traffic and could be blocked off without causing too many problems. Closing Ocean Blvd would probably be better for viewing, but could not be any different than shutting off Cabrillo Blvd. in Santa Barbara. It is a major thoroughfare. (That is one reason why the Gran Prix racer no longer race on Ocean Blvd.)

This is/was a very cool idea. It was like an art project that required the brain to function while it lasts. As much history of growing up in Long Beach gave and cruising along that shore line a zillion times, it is hard to overcome the location/atmosphere of the Santa Barbara shoreline along Cabrillo Blvd.

Jnaki

I say run with it (LB OCEAN BLVD) as an alternative and give the sponsors of the Santa Barbara Drags an option for next year or thereafter. The big selling point would be freeway access from all points in So Cal. Also, being centrally located in the So Cal area helps with the attendance and $$$$.

Long Beach is approximately an hour drive from just about anywhere in So Cal via freeways. Just make sure it is not within several months of the Gran Prix dates. Your “Breakers” friend could contact the other big resorts in the area for a united front.

The Long Beach event could be held at the end of summer. It could be an extravaganza of how hot rod drags and customs used to be in sunny, So Cal. That would be the ticket… My high school friend became a dentist. He compared his office location in Long Beach vs Laguna Beach. He loved coastal Laguna Beach, but, he said that Long Beach is accessible to millions of more people than the coastal city of Laguna Beach. So, he could draw from a lot of areas for his dentistry practice.

"Hot Rods, Drag Racing, and Customs in Long Beach" has a great ring to it... or whatever it will be called for the event.
    View attachment 4220050
    View attachment 4220051
    start line near the Convention Center over pass, just off of Pine Ave.
    View attachment 4220052

If only part of Seaside Way is used like the Gran Prix, after a full ¼ mile from Pine Ave, there is only 280 feet of shut off area left before the first parking lot turn off. So, the full Seaside Way length is necessary.
    View attachment 4220053
    The Seaside Way road below the Breakers.
    View attachment 4220054
    The beach/parking area near the Hyatt Regency Resort (shut down area with another 1/8 mile to the end turnaround) An exit and return the end, a huge Sports Arena Parking Lot with access to Shoreline Drive back to Pine Avenue and the starting area.

This is a total dream, of course, as the Long Beach Gran Prix had lost its major sponsor this year. But, sponsorship money always talks, the huge Hyatt Regency Resort, Renaissance Hotel, and the Breakers could be co-sponsors of the event. Even a car show at the adjoining Sports Arena is possible, just like the old days… logistics being what they are…

[/QUOTE]

LBCD likes this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

[/QUOTE]

Hey A,
    If it is only 1/8th of a mile for the drags, then there is plenty of room or straight-away areas for that amount and a nice long shut off area in the Seaside Way area. Starting near the Pine Ave. staging area and going East is probably the easiest route. You are right...planning and homework is the main thing for a successful event. I have only scratched the surface with the information provided.

It seems simple to me, but the LB City would have to be behind the effort. It reminds me of council woman, Rae Gabelich was when she held the city council office seat. She was the primary mover in the "Cacklefests" and street closures in Bixby Knolls for the big time drag race events a long time ago.

Jnaki
    But, remember, Santa Barbara has the upper hand with a successful event. Besides, it is right on the sandy beach with views that are hard to fathom, sometimes. Santa Barbara is a long drive, but it is the destination and the coastal journey to the event. The nice photos by those HAMB guys prove that!

10. sololobo

sololobo

killer

LBCD likes this.
  11. LBCD, I love your idea. My thoughts are that it could be done right before or right after the Gran Prix. The bleachers and barricades would already be in place. I'd pitch it as part of a month long motorsports festival in LB. I'd certainly drive down for that.

flyin-t and LBCD like this.
  12. LBCD

LBCD

I edited some of my previous posts and added a pic or two. Adding a few more of the Willys. This car was on another level... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

41 coupe, Blues4U and mgtstumpy like this.
  13. LBCD

LBCD

A few more of the crowd...these pics are from early morning, it was a great turnout and more spread out than Pismo. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]One of The Channel Islands in the back round. [​IMG]

mctim64, Pat, Jalopy Joker and 2 others like this.
  14. Elrod

Elrod

One hell of a weekend! Thanks to all that came out and supported Mel and the Oilers. Santa Barbara called Mel asking him to come after seeing the event he did with the Milwaukee Harley Davidson 100 year anniversary. Even with the city "wanting" him there, you have to jump through more hoops than a basketball at a Warriors game. Recreating an entire vintage drag strip is not as simple as finding a stretch of road you can close down. It was tough and Mel took a licking. It was one for the history books for sure! Not sure that it will happen again there. If you were there and you liked it or you are bummed that you missed it and want to get in on the action, book your tickets to Wildwood, NJ, the home of the event. You WILL have a good time. Airplanes are your friend. Tell your boo that you are taking them on a vacation to the beach. Go have someone pump your gas for you. It's great! Do it! See you in October!

Love,
    The Oilers
    est. 1947

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    jnaki, mctim64, Pat and 10 others like this.
  15. LBCD

LBCD

Great pic Elrod! Thanks from the left coast...we need more of TROG here!!! We all had a great weekend, I was a little sun burnt and over served but had a blast!

Elrod likes this.
  16. First tim I went to Wildwood was the first time I had been to NJ...I thought I was gonna have to fight this scraggly dude at the gas station when he open up the gas door on my 51 chevy... Didn't realize he had to pump the gas....yes I looked like and ass, but I haven't missed one Wildwood TROG since!

Elrod likes this.
  17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

One of the best gatherings I have ever witnessed.

18. One regret from this AMAZING event, I only bought general admin tickets. Hope this one returns again either annually or every other year. Glad I skipped March Meet for this.

mctim64, Elrod and LBCD like this.
  19. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

I can only say wow! wish I could have been there!

LBCD likes this.
  20. Wrongway 58

Wrongway 58

Yes these pics are super! very very kewl glad that Mel and the fellas/gals came back after the wash out makes me think how in the last 20 years that some of thee BEST get together's in the country now for real Hot Rod/Kustom gigs are in the central coast of Cali these have sprung up all these years after PASO Cheers to you all for keeping the faith !!!!

LBCD likes this.
  21. Johnny99

Johnny99

Amazing!

Thanks to all for sharing.

LBCD likes this.
  22. I shot this! Thanks for the share

LBCD, Swede64, Pat and 3 others like this.
  23. Deescott

Deescott

Really good time. Super surprised their weren’t more people and hot rods there. Y’all missed out. Unfortunately, they specifically said it wouldn’t happen again in California.

LBCD likes this.
  24. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Thanks for the coverage! Those are some great photos! Now to see if I can get up to Wildwood...

mctim64 and LBCD like this.
  25. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

Great photos! My friends and I were very impressed with the event! I was on BangShift.com earlier and people were kinda bashing the event and California. They obviously didn’t attend. I tried to explain the first sanctioned drag race was held right down the road in Goleta and that the Oilers definitely had that in mind. Some people just don’t get it and forget how this sport all started!!

LBCD likes this.
  26. Swede64

Swede64

You did a GREAT job!!!

Retson the Racer and LBCD like this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

Hey D,
    The event is over, praises have been given and here is one take on a So Cal happening. LBCD's coverage is pretty outstanding. It was like being there in person. That is the point of a great thread. KUDOS... Talk about getting right into the middle of things in So Cal. We have all been hit with a massive amount of “suicide butterflies” in the recent weeks. Your coupe shows the extent of the situation. That Model A grille is the perfect place to stop those pesky winged creatures.

upload_2019-3-19_10-57-41.png
    We were used to the seasonal Monarch Butterflies attacking our front windows and the front of every car in So Cal, yearly. But, this time, it is not a Monarch. Your driving trip to Santa Barbara, participation, and drive home, fills the story to the limit. It is a total “drive the hot rod” scenario. Good on you! Nice photos…
    upload_2019-3-19_10-57-26.png
    Jnaki

Sometimes, the residue comes off simply with a car wash, but for the daily clean up, those quick clean Meguiar’s type cleaner sprays do the best job. There is something in that wax/cleaner that just dissolves the residue.

So, a mark of So Cal driving is orange/yellow and splats on the windshield/grille.
    upload_2019-3-19_10-57-10.png
    Southern California is experiencing a burst of butterflies...

“The black-and-orange insects that suddenly seem to be everywhere in Southern California aren’t Monarchs and they aren’t moths. They are called Painted Ladies, and these butterflies are migrating by the millions across the state. The migration is nothing new. Painted Ladies set off from their wintering grounds in the Mojave and Colorado Deserts of Southeastern California as winter gives way to Spring.

They travel roughly the same path every year, flying Northwest to Sacramento en route to Oregon, Washington and beyond. (They’ve been spotted as far north as Alaska.)What’s unusual this year is the number of 2- to 3-inch butterflies making the journey. Scientists say there haven’t been this many Painted Ladies traversing the state since 2005, when the population climbed to about 1 billion.”

“The annual migration has the butterflies migrating North where they can feast and find ample food without being boxed out by the rest of the herd. But this year’s seems to be particularly large.”

“It’s just a large one moving out of the desert, and with how wet it was this winter, they’ve had more to lay their eggs on, and there’s been an explosion. They’re moving to somewhere where’s there not as much competition. It’s just that there’s a huge amount. In 2005 there was a huge one and in 2006 there was a La Niña and El Niño, and last year there was hardly anything.”

The large migration in Southern California starts in northern Mexican deserts and travels thousands of miles. The Worldwide Painted Lady Migration project collects data and tracks the butterflies around the world.”

Long Beach looks good, a central So Cal city, accessible to everyone via freeways from all directions. Enough local attractions to make it worthwhile. A possible scenario was given here on this thread. It has history, location, weather, resorts, attractions…all perfect for the Westcoast division of the TROG.

But, despite the extra 2 hour distance to San Diego Bay, Coronado once had a huge car event on the Coronado Island Airstrip. A built in dragstrip if so desired, no one to complain as it is fairly isolated, and freeway close. You can’t ask for a better location. With resorts nearby on the island(actually a peninsula), across the bridge and ferry access, are umpteen hotels on the bay shoreline/downtown areas. Since an auto event has already been happening here, (cancelled recently) the local promoters have the scenario down pat. It would offer another So Cal alternative.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    LBCD and Deescott like this.
  28. As A diehard Chevrolet Inliner "BOO, HISS, FOWL!";)

mctim64 and LBCD like this.
  29. I just found this video-

Shadow Creek and LBCD like this.