Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Steering wheels - we all got to have one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 19, 2019.

1. The rare '50 Dodge hot rod wheel... 0213191120.jpg 0213191119.jpg

2. The Michigan 1917 Fatman wheel which I found at the 2009 Street Rod Nationals replaced the original Model "T"wheel that was with my Center Door.

IMG_0803.JPG

So then I replaced the original 41 truck wheel in my COE that was completely broken,
    I found out the the Model "T" wheel fitted the steering shaft and bought the wheel down a little for a better driving position. Waste not want not!

IMG_1858.jpg

chevy57dude, mkebaird, BigO and 6 others like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You have a great looking wheel. I have an octagon wheel with the wood on front and back but I wouldn't mind having one like yours. I am thinking all octagon wheels are pretty scarce....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the third wheel that has been in my 38 Chevy, the first was a little chrome aftermarket outfit that was popular in the 70's (small diameter but I was young and could turn it just fine with the stock steering box), when I upgraded suspension and steering I found a nice 1950 or so Pontiac wheel, it was kinda crappy but I fixed the cracks, painted it and it looked darned nice. I get a call from the guy I got it from "say, I'd really like to have that wheel back since it goes with a Hydramatic steering column and that's what I'd like to do in this 36 Olds", so....he's done me some favors and he'd given me the wheel...he says "we will find you something else". Now remember, I picked the steering wheel off of the ground....well I found this one laying outside too but it didn't have a center cap and the plastic to operate the horn was gone too. I repaired the cracks and used oak to replicate the horn buttons (matches the dash wood) and phonied up a center that didn't look tooooo bad. A couple of months later I am rummaging through his junk and found the center cap. He still owes me. The steering wheel went with the 36 Olds to a friend who finished it and I guess it sold on EBay. A friend of mine went for a ride and he asked me where I got the bus steering wheel:) IMG_0217.JPG

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  5. loudbang

loudbang

6. Yeh, done that a couple times, too.

Ben

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Had this 1940 aftermarket wheel in my Deuce pickup. HRP

[​IMG]

jim snow likes this.
  8. southerncad

southerncad

OK, I'll play, here's a pic of a sorta' plain aftermarket wheel I tried to make look a little better with a Cadillac logo in the center. Sorry 'bout my excellent photography skills! cadwheel.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

776.jpg Came across this picture I took about thirty years ago at a small town car show I came across when I was on my way to another show.

BigO and classiccarjack like this.
  10. LOL Small Paul's widow still has my '46 Coupe and a stack of steering wheels from over the years (since '77). She likes a cal custom flat wood wheel that I put in for her a long time ago best (she is not thin LOL) but has kept every wheel that was ever in the car and there are at least 15 of them. She told me Christmas this year that she was putting the metal flake mini in for 2019. LOL

dana barlow likes this.
  11. A Boner

A Boner

You are not a true Hot Rodder unless you have more steering wheels than you have cars!

JimMartley, BigO and bowie like this.
  12. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

BigO likes this.
  13. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I dig the chain! My worry is getting fingers snagged in it....

My Uncle had a chain wheel in his 1955 Chevy. Man I thought that was cool when I was a kid.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BigO likes this.
  14. I've had over 30 NICE metal flake wheels, used to buy them for a buck a piece at swap meets years AGO WHEN NOONE WANTED THEM. I have since given all but two away for free....now looking for a banjo wheel for my 36 Chevy truck (taper with key way). Thinking to myself about all the cash I could have made on those Superior 500 wheels I gave away for free. WTF...was I thinking, being a nice guy,,, jeeesh... Mitch

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    BigO likes this.
  15. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

16. Now thats different.

17. Amen Brother !!!!

18. Kodak Jack

Kodak Jack

What color is that interior? I know it’s “tan” but is it a specific shade?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

My liking the 4 spoke steering wheel goes back to the year we were building the 1940 Willys coupe. It had a black rim and chrome 4 spokes that was destroyed in the fire and the only thing left were the metal spokes. So, that idea has stuck with me for our next build or purchase.
    So the stock two spoke was the one that saw 1000s of miles of driving.
    upload_2019-3-13_3-13-37.png
    When I bought my first 40 Ford Sedan Delivery in High School, it had the stock steering wheel. The look was very cool and the grip was excellent for the many hours of driving to surf spots all over So Cal. The teenage budget being what it is/was prevented me from getting a 3 spoke or my favorite 4 spoke rubber/chrome steering wheel.

After we were married, we got our next 40 Ford Sedan Delivery and it also had the stock steering wheel. So, the search was on for the old style 4 spoke wheel. My wife was driving the sedan delivery at the time and said that the 4 spoke would look like a drag racer. She said that this sedan delivery was a hot rod and would take us plenty of places, even with her driving. So, she said the stock 2 spoke wheel was it.
    upload_2019-3-13_3-18-26.png
    I even tried to get one that looked more of a custom car instead of a pure drag racer, but to no avail. She was a "9 and 3" driver and the stock 40 Ford steering wheel fit the bill.

Jnaki
    9-12 inch, deep dish, cruiser wheel:
    upload_2019-3-13_3-21-14.png No, not for the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery...
    At our favorite Goleta, CA drive-in swap meet back in the early 70s, we scored a couple of old Moon/Grant/Bell style steering wheels. We have always wanted a four spoke wheel in the 2nd 40 ford sedan delivery, but the stock two spoke one just looked right. So, these were stashed away in the attic.

Later on, my son always liked being in the garage when I was out there working on something. Either that or my wife secretly put him out there and closed the entrance door. But, he was always there.

In late 1970s, I installed the two steering wheels on a lower section of a wooden, garage cabinet doors. This allowed my toddler son to play with the steering wheels while daddy was working on the counter next to him. They were mounted so there was no chance for caught fingers, as spacers were used to keep them safe. He had many miles of carefree driving and turning, in those car steering wheel experiences.

20. I just got a new pair, on sale too!

scotty t likes this.
  21. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I am looking at using this Chrysler wheel in my 39 chevy truck that I am building.

Attached Files:

CGkidd likes this.
  22. CGkidd

CGkidd

Started with a stock wheel in my 46 Chevy, went to a 47 wheel and now going all out with a 60 olds. 8295.jpeg

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mario711, Elcohaulic and dana barlow like this.
  23. Steel A Rod

Steel A Rod

I went through about half a dozen before I decided on this 30 hot rod 5 2 2012 007.jpg

Elcohaulic, dana barlow and LOU WELLS like this.
  24. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Glad the licence plates were not yours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Like A Olde Steering Wheel In A Olde Auto But Each To His Own... DSCN0059.JPG

26. 4speed411

4speed411

1966 Chevrolet Wood Wheel

Attached Files:

robracer1 likes this.
  27. dana barlow likes this.
  28. Not yet, Danny
    34steeringwheel1_19.jpg

mgtstumpy and dana barlow like this.
  29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

As for type I like best,is wood outer. an 14in. up to 16in. across.
    Over the years,after trying too drive some customer rods an customs, too shake out prob.s for them,many times it's poor pick of the steering wheel as part of it. Chrome Chain wheels may look cool to some one, but they suck to drive with,an more so if they are tiny{=any thing less then 13.5in. across} in any thing other then a little go cart. Other nutty things that work bad,is cutting top an or bottom off the loop. I know its done some times,do too beerbelly,but really you need a diet or move the wheel up or use a dish size that miss your button.
    My old black stock "A" wheel got so cracked,even the patch's were falling out of it. I buddy saw it,asked if I like a wheel he had with wood that match's my other wood parts in my cockpit. Wow,no-way too pass up a free-B that I think look good too! Likely too picky to say,I wish it was 1/2in bigger across,LOL
    IMAG1365.jpgsmall.jpg 021.JPG