Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Thinking of a trip to USA(again!!) What car stuff to do in St Louis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Mar 10, 2019.

1. hudson48

hudson48

So our daughter in law, who is from St Louis MO but lives here in Australia wants to go home for a couple of weeks with two children,4 and 6 yo. My wife volunteered to go also, to help with all the hassles of long distance travels with 2 small children.
    At the same time I had planned to take the roadster to Sydney for the Hot Rod Show and enter in the Nostalgia Lane part of the show. My trip down to Sydney coincides with their departure around 22nd May 2019.
    I am thinking maybe to go with them but a lot of time spent traveling to and fro just for 10 days there.
    I can catch up with Kurt and Amy McCormick(Kustom Kurt) but that would only be one day of the 10 free days excluding the travel time.
    So in that date range what might be on in the St Louis area from say Thursday 23rd May 2019 up to
    and including Sunday 2nd June 2019. We would leave on Monday 3rd June to head home.

2. Not car-related, but the St. Louis Cardinals play the Chicago Cubs on the 31st, 1st and 2nd - usually a good game to watch (though I'm a Cubs fan so I'm a little biased). The St. Louis Arch is also interesting from an engineering perspective.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  3. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

May 24 through May 26 is the NSRA Mid America Street Rod Nationals at Springfield, Mo. That is about 200 miles and about 3 hours from St. Louis.

Hnstray and Bearcat_V8 like this.
  4. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

As has been mentioned, a trip to St. Louis would be incomplete without a visit to the Arch. As an added benefit, they just completed a terrific revamp of the Arch grounds and museum. You MUST buy tickets for the tram to the top while you're there.

Another STL favorite is City Museum. The kids will love it. And there's a lot to see in there for adults, too. Our girls are now in their 20s and they still love going!

Another thing my family loves is the cheesy, creepy, old wax museum down near the Arch. Admission is around $10, and some of it is laughable. But the creep factor of the basement horror section is worth it...though the kids would likely not be too keen on it!

Also, you must enjoy some Ted Drewe's frozen custard. In fact, I'd be surprised if you didn't go back more than once! Be prepared to stand in line if the weather is decent.

The St. Louis Zoo is free and a top-rated institution. There are even some newer exhibits. In fact, all of Forest Park is full of great stuff, including the St. Louis Art Museum and the Jewel Box. You can rent a paddleboard to tour the Grand Basin, which we love. And the kids will love Turtle Park, right across the highway (there's an overpass to get there by car or on foot). It is filled with several massive, climb-able, concrete turtle sculptures.

Just down the road from Turtle Park is the St. Louis Science Center with an enclosed pedestrian bridge to get you back over the highway to the McDonnell Planetarium.

So, obviously, there's lots to do. All you have to do is look at ticket prices and figure out what's in your budget.

Have fun!

5. It's a bit of a drive, but the Indianapolis 500 is the last Sunday in May.

Phil

lothiandon1940, nochop and Hnstray like this.
  6. rlsteel

rlsteel

St louis also has a world class dragstrip. And the food in the city cant be beat have fun.

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You have to go to the hill for some great Italian food.

8. Nickyz129

Nickyz129

Go up in the arch, cool experience. Tour the budweiser plant and get 2 free beers afterward and eat some BBQ!

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  9. They have a great drag strip there. Good bbq at several places.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

ALL the above are very good suggestions to consider........ I am originally from St Louis, and am frequently there though I have lived in Illinois for many years (Ugh! --- not the State itself, but the Govmint) about 125 miles north.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Go check out Country Classic Cars, 2149 E Frontage Rd, Staunton, IL 62088. About 40 miles North of St. Louis on highway 55. Bring your walking shoes, there are a ton of cars there, all for sale, but they don't mind you browsing.

dan c likes this.
  12. hudson48

hudson48

I have been to St Louis a few times now and have done a lot of things suggested. Been to the Arch and traveled to the top, 3 times to Ted Drews, saw the incredible Lewis and Clarke exhibition in 2010, been to the Cardinals Stadium(haven't seen a game). I am thinking of car stuff that might be on the 2 weekends that I might be there.
    (May 25/26 and June 1/2)

13. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

This has to be re-stated. We travel to St Louis from Springfield sometimes *just* to eat on The Hill. Anthoninos for toasted Raviolis, Mama Zias for the salad and pasta, and never, ever leave The Hill without a visit to Missouri Baking Company. Take cash and plan to wait in line at the baking co. Best canolis on the continent!

saltflats likes this.
  14. Have been going to STL for day/overnight trips on business for past year with another 18+ months/12 visits to make plus trips to Marion IL, and have done what most suggested except for Anthonio's and Ted Drewes' Frozen Custard (need to get to them next time or more) and take in a baseball game (does nothing for me - "five minutes of excitement packed into three hours of tedium"). National Museum of Transportation has a 'decent' collection of cars on display (not sure how often they rotate them out) plus a large collection of steam and some first-generation diesel locomotives for the FRNs/"foamers" out there - powered through it in one hour when I had some time and $12 to kill.
    From an eating perspective, you can't go to STL without visiting The Hill and going to Zia's, have some toasted ravioli anywhere, Emo's (?) pizza or Lion's Choice roast beef sandwiches. Still need to go to one of the German restaurants and back to Laclede's Landing, though. And don't forget the Anheuser-Busch brewery.
    So, what else is there for a car guy to go see in the immediate area? And are there any old car-related businesses I can go to for parts since I'm in town? I just went to Little Dearborn outside of Minneapolis on Friday and wonder if there's any places selling V8-'50s-'60s Ford parts that I can bring home on the plane?

15. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

16. A Boner

A Boner

Did they ever rehab. the area just west of the arch? Used to be quite sketchy.

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Just don't make that wrong turn like Clark. :D

60F250 likes this.
  18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Maybe the daughter in law wants some free time with her family without the in laws??? Sorry, love my in laws but may need a break after a while

19. hudson48

hudson48

Yes but she also wants help with 2 little ones on the trip over and back. Maybe the NSRA Nats on the first weekend we are there . I would drive up Saturday and come back Sunday. Only 3 hours each way.
    My problem is that there is so much hassle involved in traveling from Australia to USA(LAX first and then onto St Louis) and back for such a short time there. We normally do 4-6 weeks but this is really only 10 days of usable time.
    Have friends in Dawsonville GA that we could visit but more travel to airports and flying etc etc. It takes our friends from GA 90 minutes to get to the airport. Almost made my mind up that I won't go and will do the Sydney Hot Rod Show. My wife will still go to assist with grand children.

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I apologize, You know your family better than I, I was a little quick to comment on something I shouldnt have.
    Think I may have responded too quickly based on some of my passed experiences:rolleyes:...:D again, Sorry

21. rlsteel

rlsteel

Agreed St. Louis has great Italian restaurants on The Hill. Here are some hometown gems that I like:
    Mom's Deli on Jameson in St. Louis Hills, Ted Drewes on Chippewa, Adams Smokehouse or Pappys for barbecue and Crusoes in Dutchtown, Everest on Manchester in The Grove (Indian, Nepal, Korean), Gooey Butter cake is what St. Louis is famous for, fried ravioli (on The Hill), IMOS pizza, Soulards' Farmers Market and Anheuser Busch Brewery,
    good live music in bars and restaurants. St. Louis Botanical Gardens in Tower Grove is world class.

22. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  23. ray

ray
    from colorado

another vote for City Museum. don't judge it by it's name, look it up. it's not like any other museum. it was a highlight of my trip to St. Louis a few years ago...and i hate children.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  24. X2 for Pappy's on Olive St. - forgot that one - best BBQ brisket I've had since leaving Kansas City.

lc1963 and slv63 like this.
  25. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

didn't kurt move to wentzville? i knew him when he lived in webster groves way back when...

26. Don’t forget Six Flags out in Eureka for the kids. Check out Gioia’s deli on the Hill for great Hot salami sandwiches. Gus’ Pretzels is great too. Most of all, please, please be aware of where you are in the city. There are some very rough areas and people in St. Louis, especially on the North Side(don’t ask me how I know-I work up there).

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Dirk35

Dirk35

The Hill is a good area to visit if you want Italian food. In my opinion, visiting the area where the World's Largest Chess piece is, and checking out the shops and restaurants in that area is a nicer place to visit for a day. There is a Mexican restaurant just around the corner from the Chess piece that was really good.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/33473

And of course, visit the Arch.

28. 5window

5window

City Museum=MUST> fantastic for all ages. Ted Drewes=Route 66 icon. In fact, you could do a bit of 66 around St Louis. I'd suggest seeing the Chain of Rocks Bridge-once THE way, on Route 66 across the Mississippi River. Now, you can walk across. But, don't take the kids, start on the east side and check locally. There have been some security issues in the past. Didn't know that when my wife and I walked it in '14. No issues, it was great. Take a posse.

29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Stay a few more days and go to the Custom Car Revival in Indy. June 6-8.

pprather likes this.
  30. hudson48

hudson48

As said earlier I am quite familiar with St Louis especially when we did Route 66 in 2009. We went to Chain of Rocks Bridge(which was closed of course) and wandered onto it and there was a crew doing a documentary on the Bridge.
    They had a motorized cart they were using to travel up and down the bridge and had all 4 of us hop on board and travel the full length of the bridge. It sure beat walking!!
    Italy Photos Paul 093 (Large).jpg Italy Photos Paul 094 (Large).jpg Italy Photos Paul 095 (Large).jpg Italy Photos Paul 096 (Large).jpg Italy Photos Paul 097 (Large).jpg

5window and egads like this.