Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Garage find? Survivor? Parts car? What do you think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jokester, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Jokester

Jokester

I'm helping set up for an estate sale, and this car is in the mix. 1936 Ford 5 window coupe (I don't know if it's Standard or Deluxe). Small block Chevy, headers, finned valve covers, Holley 4 barrel, four speed, independent front suspension (Corvair maybe?), power rack and pinion steering, telescoping steering column. The license plate is dated 1988. I haven't tried to turn the engine over yet. See the pics.

Any idea of value?

thx,

.bjb

Attached Files:

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

3. Jokester

Jokester

A few more pics. What is the rear end? Sorry about picture quality. I was running out of battery.

Attached Files:

Jalopy Joker, catdad49 and Hamtown Al like this.
  4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

WOW! What a car. I would't know where to begin on a price, but I'd love to have enough money on hand to buy it. Car needs a wash, other than that, it looks really good to me. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.
    8-3/4" MOPAR rear end. Rack and pinion steering, and a Muncie 4-speed transmission. Someone built a nice car!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Southmark and Frankie47 like this.

5. X-cpe

X-cpe

That's a car that would take a lot of discipline to just clean up and drive. You would just have to do something about that 'burn me down fuel line'. Well might as well run all new ones. Engine sure would look nicer if it got painted. Now the valve covers and headers look like crap. Firewall too. Won't take long. Spacer in the front spring needs to go. That means new springs, but no way am I going to put them in with those crusty control arms, Paint the the frame and tie rods while we're at it, right. If the front suspension looks good it would be a crime to leave the rear alone. Etc, etc, etc, etc. But I sure would like to have the money to get a chance to try and ignore all that stuff and just enjoy it the way it is. (Brakes and fuel line not withstanding.)

Automotive Stud and 36-3window like this.
  6. Dang, that front suspension looks like A.M.C. Pacer. What a Crime! Kind of explains the tire to fender placement.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Probably is; they were a little wide..I'd redo the suspension. Body seems pretty clean or good filler..

8. 56shoebox

56shoebox

9. Pretty typical of a car built in that time period. Someone likely had a lot of fun with it. If anyone pays over $10K , it's because they don't realize what it is going to take to bring it up to today's "standards". There's a lot of potential for sure. Would ultimately make a nice car after a lot of attention. I'm still "fascinated" with the tack-welded nuts used for spacers in the front springs!!:eek::D

10. catdad49

catdad49

I would look at it as a body and frame that needs upgrading and price it accordingly. If you could get it running, it would up the price. Let us know first! Good Luck on the sale, Carp.

scrap metal 48 and slv63 like this.
  11. 62rebel

62rebel

Pacer front ends were a trend in the early '80's. Those spacers are the parts-store twist in style, yep, they'd have to go. Could be a lot worse but also could be a damn sight better. Last registered in '88? Sad. Somebody built what looks like a fairly decent (for the era) car and it became estate sale material.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

@RHRH3P this may be a good one for you to try to buy.

13. fuzzface

fuzzface

Instead of doing an estate sale where you need to guess at pricing things over the next few weeks or month(s) and have stuff left over after so many days why not do an estate auction and get it all gone in one day and let the buyers/bidders set the highest selling price? Yes you will spend a few days setting it up but you would be spending the same time setting up for the estate sale too.

As long as the estate auction gets advertised enough and correctly you shouldn't be disappointed at the results. Only estate auctions I ever got good deals at were the poorly advertised ones.

Atwater Mike and Hnstray like this.
  14. F&J

F&J

One thing about lowballing the estimate,,, You guys that weren't there building rods way the hell back, don't realize that most were built from decent no rust cars, not like a lot today that come out of the woods or wet barn cellar and are just plain pieced together pinholed rotted junk. Nobody started with badly rusted, rotted or smashed up stuff, not even 32's, going back 40 years ago.

Yes it needs some work. But if the car gets up on a lift to verify if it was built from a rust free car, the smart buyers will be there.

brad2v, Irish Mike, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  15. Check here on The H.A.M.B classifieds
    Hemmings
    Auto trader
    Flea-bay
    And Facebook market place.

Looks like a clean body and interior,
    Chassis is dated and needs some work.

If the motor starts and it drives = more money
    If the motor at least turns over it’s a good sign

Price it as a complete car that needs work
    Really cool ride !

16. alchemy

alchemy

I'm in Iowa, and around here I'd say that is at least a $10K car, if not maybe up to $15K. Yes all the suspension needs a rework, but the body looks clean.

17. 62rebel

62rebel

hell, it's even complete enough to interest a restorer.

18. lake_harley

lake_harley

And just when is the Estate sale or auction? Don't post it on here though, PM me. If you post the date you'll just attract a bunch of "undesirable" people. ;)

Lynn

BTW....I love the twist-in spring "expander" to raise the front of the car. I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of those in a coffee can someplace left over from my teenage years.

alanp561 and czuch like this.
  19. wvenfield

wvenfield

Almost a very cool car. I don't know the right price but in the right setting it would bring some pretty decent money.

20. Squablow

Squablow

I'm with Alchemy, I was going to say it's a low-teens car as-is but adding proper suspension, wheels, a cleanup/detailing and running again, probably would tack another $10K onto the value. I think you'd have plenty of people who'd love to buy this very complete car with it's nice driver old paint, cool old interior and just redo the suspension and other stuff for that price. Nice clean '36 Ford coupe bodies aren't just laying around like driftwood on the beach where I come from.

brad2v and 62rebel like this.
  21. ...........Got it. I thought it was a bit absurd to use just nuts as spacers....thanks.

22. Jokester

Jokester

THanks for all the great comments. I'm of the same opinion. It is a great car for the time that it was built. I checked today, the engine seems to be stuck. I couldn't turn it over with socket and wrench. Bummer. I was guessing in the 6K to 10K range for value so we'll see. I think it will be sealed bid and bids opened on the last day (Sunday). It has some nice features, all steel, windshield cranks open, no rat or mouse crap anywhere. It will clean up real nice and make someone a fun car.

23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

That IFS install is pretty ordinary IMHO and doesn't look too safe. It wouldn't pass tech down here, I would cut it out right away and replace it. Apart from that, car looks good for it's age.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

morac41 likes this.
  24. Jokester

Jokester

Just found out the engine is a 1957 283 4 barrel. Too bad it's stuck. Hope not too much damage.

.bjb

25. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Label the spark plug wires, remove the spark plugs, inject some penetrating oil (or whatever people say works best), and let it sit for a week. Then try to spin it, again. If you have room for the proper size socket (for the crank snout bolt) and a long breaker bar, all the better.

catdad49 likes this.
  26. glrbird

glrbird

It’s a standard trans, why not rock the car to turn the engine?

27. Jokester

Jokester

Nice suggestions, but...
    A: it's not my car.
    B: it's being sold by the end of the week.
    C. it will be the next owner's task to get it running.
    4. label the plug wires?????? I could wire an SBC in my sleep.

But thanks for the suggestions.

Mr48chev, swade41 and egads like this.
  28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You bidding on it Jokester? Sealed bid, that's interesting. Someone may walk away with a great deal on Sunday. I'd say if it has a clean title, anything less than 10k would be a steal!
    Even though it needs some updating and going through, it's a neat car and a hell of a lot more complete and solid than what most of us start with.

29. Jokester

Jokester

30. Jokester

Jokester

No, my garages are all full and pockets are not. It is a pretty neat car though. And it does have a clear title.