Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T5 and tremecs now traditional ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wood remover, Mar 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a 8.8 posi from a Mark VII laying around. I would want 9" ends for it though.

2. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

The explorer is stronger and has 31 spline axles and less expensive .to put 9-inch ends on you will need custom made axles too and that defeats the whole idea of cheaper

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  3. The 8.8 doesn't have C-clip eliminators available as far as I know. 500 to 600 HP I don't want to throw an axle.
    This post probably tells you I'm not as schooled as you gents are in this area.
    So the Explorer route probably is best.

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

My rear end is out of the 69 Pontiac with far newer internals. My Muncie is from 1973. I'm sure the carbs I used are past the cut off date here. They all at least come real close to looking the part (no one is going to climb under the car and check the date on the transmission).

A newer transmission still looks basically like a more traditional one and the traditional ones aren't as readily available any more.

If someone posted pics of their car no one could tell.

5. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

The disk brakes also serve as axle retainers even if a c clip did break or an axle breaks it can't come out because the caliper holds it .i have seen this on oval track race cars

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

DrDragon, Rich S. and wood remover like this.
  6. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I had to have a clutch. Been too many years driving autos in my daily haulers with no stick available. Can not afford to drop the cash a Muncie or Super T would have cost on top of all the other costs of swapping over to a stick. Craigslist T5 to the rescue.

I paid less for the T5 than I did the clutch and pressure plate. Nothing is more traditional than being a tightwad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

:D:DIf you build it low enough, nobody can get their damn big nosy head under there to see what you’re running!

8. clem

clem

I would like to see build threads for all of the above !
    More build threads would be nice !
    Oh, I’ve got a 5 speed in my car, not a tremec though, actually a Toyota 5 speed.

9. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they're looking THAT close, they should buy the fuckin' thing!

10. Aside from talking on this forum, nobody else really knows or cares if your car is "traditional". Just hang a 4 speed knob on the thing and carry on.

11. Ziggster

Ziggster

Going with a Tremec T5 in my prewar replication. Will try to create my version of Richard Scaldwells GN JAP which itself was a recreation of a non-existent vehicle. He however used period correct parts including a chain drive with dog style cogs.
    image.jpeg

williebill, bobss396 and lumpy 63 like this.
  12. Rich S.

Rich S.

DrDragon and 427 sleeper like this.
  13. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Mine has an original early 60s Hurst lever with a 56 Corvette 3spd knob on it:cool:

427 sleeper likes this.
  14. there are C clip eliminator kits

DrDragon likes this.
  15. dan griffin

dan griffin

So what kind of Toyopet did this rear end come out of?

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

With my T5 I sometimes blow the 2-3 shift on purpose just to be traditional. Then I crawl under it and pretend to free up the 1-2 shift rod, just like in the old days. :)

williebill, chopped, Moon50F3 and 3 others like this.
  17. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

"But the heart of it all was building what you like, how you like it with the parts that are available to you. "

That is a great comment that all of us who play with this old stuff should remember. Not everyone has or can obtain only purely " Traditional" parts. Often we have to use what we have available !
    I have certainly done that and will probably do it again if need be.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Strange I don't spend much time here anymore.
    I like Hot Rods, drama, not so much.

Nostrebor, Clay Belt, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  19. Oldb

Oldb

I realized long ago that the HAMB was not for sophomores. I also think that the number of car enthusiast who know what traditional is are growing smaller every day. We should respect the traditionalists on a traditional forum. Enjoy them while they are still with us.

B

prpmmp, F&J and stik70 like this.
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My HAMB friendly (appearing) daily has an 8.8 rear, where there was once a 6-3/4, and a 6-speed, where there was once a 3.

I still cannot find any 1960's roads to drive it on, just modern ones.

VANDENPLAS and seb fontana like this.
  21. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Man I would like to research that toyota rear end......electric posi sounds interesting. Could you tell me what year and models they come in or what it is called by toyota. PM if you can please.

22. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

A quote from George Orwell's book Animal Farm......
    All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
    [As long as people exist there will be favoritism.]

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

24. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Come out to Cochise County, AZ where Squirrel and I live. We got lots of 1960's roads. And a dirt road out of Tombstone that will take you back to the Great Depression.

25. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

If t5 were available in the 50', every hotroder have had using it..., Now it is a choice of performance and confort. I choose t5, hopup flathead or Caddillac engines like I have would blow up toploaders for breakfast...

26. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Touche'! Actually, I have a 1950 Crosley with original equipment 4-wheel disc brakes made by Goodyear-Hawley. They made disc brakes for aircraft at the time. I guess you could use disc brakes from Austin Healeys or Jaguars, and still be in the 'fifties (but then you'ld be OT for country of origin). Then there's the early 'fifties Chrysler discs, but they're really a radically different animal!

P.S. -- I just saw a video of Amelia Earhart flying a Ford Tri-Motor! (Not to be confused with Airheart, which is a disc brake!)

27. The real old stuff is hard to find and expensive. Now a used T5 is less expensive and a vast improvement over many gear boxes. A donor rear from a Ford Exploder with discs, they are a dime a dozen and have found homes in many a hot rod. The new technology mixed in with the old is a perfect marriage as I see it.

Moon50F3 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  28. Deuces

Deuces

Since '83-1/2 in Mustangs?????
    I think not....

29. When I raced my MK VII with a TKO 5 speed the 2 to 3 shift HAD to be under 3,000 RPMs or it wasn't going in.

30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My 37 Chevy p/u is so much nicer to drive with the T-5,would liked to have used a 3 speed/o/d but I have never seen one cheap and complete plus I think parts are very hard to find. Other then the shifter sitting back a few inches it still looks like it has the original trans,I paid 60 dollars for the trans.

Attached Files:

Nostrebor and VANDENPLAS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.