Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Car swapping...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Jan 28, 2019.

1. I seem to have a habit of swapping my car with someone else every couple of years. I'm always on the lookout for something different. Don't really know why...

Right now I am thinking of trading my '50 Dodge for a '48 Ford tudor. All original drive train, good solid body with almost no rust and original paint. Seats have been reupholstered, but still needs door cards and a headliner. Runs, drives, new brakes and tires. (As does my Dodge...)

I would be losing at least 100up, and more modern drive train. (318/727).

I am no good at cutting and pasting pics from the add...

Am I nuts? Are there other guys that change cars every coupla years? (I only have room for one car project)

2. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

48 ford is sweeeet, its not just you, cars are all so different and fun in their own way. i have the same problem

3. My dad had a '47 Ford convertible when I was growing up that was his hot rod. I've always been partial to that body style.

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think it goes with the passion for cars. The current one holds your interest until you see the next one and envision what you could do to it. It is worse if you do not have one at the moment, then when you are browsing the ads they all scream build me , build me.:D

oliver westlund likes this.

5. I hear that! I have always done the same thing with boats and motorcycles
    Too. Find 'em, fix 'm up, make everything work, then trade or sell to aquire something else...

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You have car ADD. It's a common affliction with car guys. At least you finish a car and have one driving. Some guys have multiple project cars with none finished to enjoy.
    Could be worse. Some guys have the same problem with Women and never settle down.

It's easy/ Right click on the photo. From the drop down menu click on "copy image". Then right click in the HAMB reply and select "paste". There's several other ways. Google it or find a tutorial on You Tube.

Just Gary likes this.
  7. Packrat

Packrat

Sounds like a good trade to me, I personally would rather have the Ford. It's just which you like the best. And no, you're not crazy. Although I seem to keep things forever.

Automotive Stud likes this.
  8. 62rebel

62rebel

Lifelong Ford guy here but from your description of the '50 and what the '48 needs, I'd keep the '50. Don't get me wrong, I love those Fords but Mother MoPar had a better car in '50 than Ford did in '48.

Frankie47 likes this.
  9. Well, I decided not to do the swap for the Ford. I didn't want to give up the horsepower. Told myself: "stick with what you have- it's reliable and comfortable". Then I saw this... 0311191546.jpg

low budget likes this.
  10. The Mustang 2 rack and pinion steering has to go. I have a column and steering box at a buddy's house. May try and make that work...
    Lots of upgrades needed, but it's got good "bones"...

11. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I’ve suffered from this all my life. Especially with my Hot Rods. I’ve managed to loose my butt on every deal over & over. Wish I’d have kept my First ‘40 Ford, I would’ve saved a ton of money & frustrations. Nice to hear I’m not the only one who suffers from this disease! lol

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. upspirate

upspirate

Check out the axle brackets close also....parallel leave spring axle with transverse spring

low budget likes this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-3-15_5-39-57.png Our second 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery
    Hello,

When we had the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery #2 (327/auto/a/c,etc) after two years of fighting that awful right rear blind spot, my wife wanted to get another hot rod with better vision. We had a 1965 El Camino at the time, so the replacement had to be an older car, as she hated all of the new cars we saw.

Having a house with a smallish, two car, car port, dictated what car/wagon/truck would fit underneath. So the hunt was on for a swap for something that would fit, but still be stylish. We looked at several old hot rod trucks, a roadster--- her: “no way”, and some sedans. But, they all had something or other that would be a constant repair or long term maintenance problem.

A friend wanted to swap his two door sedan for our 40 Ford Sedan Delivery (equal value), saying it had no blind spot on the right rear quarter. But, my wife was finished with that style of hot rod. So, we started looking at new cars. It was a disaster during this time as the factories were putting out road hogs and wide heavy, road sleds. They also would not fit into the smaller two car, carport of our “newish” house.

My wife liked an older 65 Chevelle, a 68 Chevelle and a new El Camino. But, they were either too wide, or took up too much space in the carport. So, we found a small sports car that was a classic and seemed to run well with very low miles from new. (only a year old) She was happy with this car and it lasted 12 years without any problems. Then, the problem, landslide came in droves during that last year. (It was traded in for a new sedan.)

Jnaki

She was happy with the swap of the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery (327/A/C/auto) for this “made to fit in a small carport” sports car, that also had, A/C. Women and A/C go hand in hand in any car. At the time, swapping with a friend would have saved us many trips to the dealers and newspaper ads. But, swapping an old hot rod could cause problems with your friend(s), too.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-5-23_6-19-11.png upload_2019-5-23_6-19-30.png
    Hello,

When we were teenagers, I had a 58 Chevy that was my alternating daily driver to school. We had a car pool with some friends and I drove 3 days a week, M,T,TH were my days. On the other days, I drove the Flathead, 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery.
    upload_2019-5-23_6-20-50.png
    There were two reasons for the odd days. One, my mom needed the Impala to do some grocery shopping and department store shopping with friends. Two, the Sedan Delivery on Wednesdays, stayed late for extra, FB, BB, Basketball practices. But, on Friday afternoon, if there were no varsity sports involvement, I went surfing, so I could not take anyone home from school.

When I got home on Fridays, I had the choice of swapping my 58 Impala for the 40 Sedan Delivery for the “Friday Night Lights” activities. One Friday, I drove the sedan delivery to school. We ate dinner as a team, started the varsity FB game at an away stadium. When I got conked out in this Varsity football game, I was out for 15 minutes.(last quarter) I was groggy all the way back to Long Beach from Compton Stadium.

My friend had to drive my 40 Ford Sedan Delivery with me, from our high school to the Long Beach Memorial Hospital for a check up. (Head coach’s order) The funny thing was that my friend got to play almost the whole 4th quarter, as he was my understudy at the varsity tight end position. I was out like a dimming light bulb. Off and on dimming is the scenario, here.

By the fall of 1961, I had already been familiar with the emergency room at the Memorial Hospital, from the previous year. After the check up and x rays, nothing was loose or going to be loose, so I was deemed OK by the doctors. I wanted to go to the Bixby Knolls drive-in restaurants for something to eat. But, after the check up, I was still hungry, but everything was off. My vision was slightly blurry, I was light headed and a little woozy. (sounds like I was drunk…)

My friend drove me home and he took my sedan delivery to his house. He came back to my house on Monday morning to pick me up for school. I was out of it, for the whole weekend, so I had no use for the sedan delivery.

My parents were shocked when I arrived home, but thanked my friend graciously for the help and support. The recollection was clear as day for me, but over the years of swapping tales of the teenage years in high school, facts pop up to fill in the blank spaces. (by old friends and family)

Jnaki

Technically, I swapped, his driving my car and the use of it, for helping me wobble home to bed on Friday night. I can remember the incident, but cannot remember if my friend cruised around in my old hot rod, surf vehicle over that weekend. Or that I even asked him or cared…the brain does weird things. My wife says it (brain malfunction) has lingered all of these years later. Her intake was that a good knock in the head shook up a lot of old stories, loose…Ha!

15. I am finding more and more issues that need addressing with the T, but that's what I enjoy doing! It needs to be completely rewired, front end and steering system changes etc...

16. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20170808_160550.jpg im looking to sell or trade my T Bucket, i had enought fun ,want a closed car..i can drive all the time

Sandgroper likes this.